The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
My last exam will be over in 12.5 hours :woo:
Original post by Melz0r
:frown: It's probably not as bad as you think!

Original post by Zoedotdot
It will be fine. You probably know more than you think, it's just that supervisions in the run up to exams can actually be really counter-productive and stressful. Remember that topics in papers are generally very broad and whatever knowledge you have is probably just as relevant as all the missing things that were pointed out in the supervision. I know exactly how you feel, I had a bit of a breakdown last exam term following a particularly unpleasant supervision and ended up cancelling my final one because I thought it would make me feel much worse. I got 69 in that paper, after having been convinced that I was going to fail it. Don't be afraid to cancel supervisions if you feel that they will be counter-productive and just work at your own pace and focus on what you do know rather than feeling overwhelmed by what you don't :smile:

Thanks guys. :smile: I'm feeling a bit more positive today. I had a nice supervision which has sort of cancelled out yesterday's negativity. The superviser (OT for any Frenchy people) said today that the only way we can fail literature exams is to try to do them whilst drunk... Not sure of his logic, but hopefully I should be fine!

Original post by ukebert
My last exam will be over in 12.5 hours :woo:

Good luck! :smile:
The more organised people on my course have started posting updates of how many words they've written :frown:
ARGH!!!
This is really not what I need when I'm nowhere near even thinking of starting writing.
It's kind of like if people were to post in here about how many hours of revision they were managing each day :banghead:
Hmm, I had a revision plan that was already very tight, but then fell too far behind so had to make a new one, and I'm now struggling to even keep to that one. It's like I want it to be last-minute. :s-smilie:
Reply 184
Original post by Craghyrax

The more organised people on my course have started posting updates of how many words they've written :frown:
ARGH!!!
This is really not what I need when I'm nowhere near even thinking of starting writing.
It's kind of like if people were to post in here about how many hours of revision they were managing each day :banghead:

That's why I don't work in libraries - too many people actually working :tongue:.

If it helps, you can remove posts from those people from your friends feed.
Reply 185
Original post by Mrs Cullen
Thanks guys. :smile: I'm feeling a bit more positive today. I had a nice supervision which has sort of cancelled out yesterday's negativity. The superviser (OT for any Frenchy people) said today that the only way we can fail literature exams is to try to do them whilst drunk... Not sure of his logic, but hopefully I should be fine!

Aw I remember OT from lectures in first year! What a dude. I've read, like, all the examiners' reports for literature, and basically nobody actually fails, and thirds are extremely rare. Most people do lots better than they think, you'll be fine :smile: (If you've got any questions about the French lit paper, do feel free to spam me, I assume the texts have stayed the same!)
Original post by SunderX

If it helps, you can remove posts from those people from your friends feed.

I'm thinking of doing that, yes. You can't anticipate which of them will randomly start doing it and ruin your day though. We're a relatively tight knit group, so I have most of the 32 people on the course on facebook. But I guess that it is mainly the obviously organised types that are starting to post, and I expect the rest aren't there yet.

I'm a bit of a contradiction in the sense that I always do too much work and work hard, but am still disastrous at time management.
Had a revision lecture today for the paper I thought was going to be okay and all it did was serve to terrify me.

Sixteen topics taught over the whole year but apparently there are only ten questions on the exam. In theory, this means that I could revise all the six topics I have written essays on over this year, and still not get any of them come up. How is that justified?! :mad:
Original post by brimstone
Had a revision lecture today for the paper I thought was going to be okay and all it did was serve to terrify me.

Sixteen topics taught over the whole year but apparently there are only ten questions on the exam. In theory, this means that I could revise all the six topics I have written essays on over this year, and still not get any of them come up. How is that justified?! :mad:

Is this the dreaded POL13?
Is this the dreaded POL13?
Nooo, it's Pol 11.

I haven't ever thought I'd do okay in Pol 13 :p:
Reply 190
FREE :woo:
Original post by brimstone
Nooo, it's Pol 11.

I haven't ever thought I'd do okay in Pol 13 :p:

:lol:
Fair point. I only asked as it's the infamous one that made me even more glad I wasn't a Politics student last year!

Although I'm actually going to speak to a course director in my department about changing the structure for one of our exams to match POL13. Not in being a synoptic thing covering all of Part II but rather in allowing us the option to either answer three questions or one in an hour. The paper is marketed as something that's supposed to be far more in depth than anything else and requires more originality and all the rest, but it has a typical three question per exam structure which makes it really hard to actually do that :frown:
Original post by Melz0r
Aw I remember OT from lectures in first year! What a dude. I've read, like, all the examiners' reports for literature, and basically nobody actually fails, and thirds are extremely rare. Most people do lots better than they think, you'll be fine :smile: (If you've got any questions about the French lit paper, do feel free to spam me, I assume the texts have stayed the same!)

Aw, thanks! I may well do, if I've come across any sticky points. :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by ukebert
FREE :woo:

Teehee, our third year engineers were, um, enjoying themselves yesterday...

Oh, and congrats! :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by Melz0r
Teehee, our third year engineers were, um, enjoying themselves yesterday...

Oh, and congrats! :biggrin:

I hope they weren't funnelling beer on the paddock again, that didn't go down well with the Senior Tutor last year... Ah, I miss them :frown:
Reply 195
I just finished ( 3rd year enginee!) here
Original post by ebam_uk
I just finished ( 3rd year enginee!) here

Congratulations! :smile:

I've been in a bit of a catch-22 situation:
1. overwhelmed by how much there is to learn so don't see the point of trying too hard
2. do a bit of work then realise maybe it's OK as it wasn't as bad as I first thought
3. relax a bit and then do less work as a result
4. don't do enough work so back to 1.
:rolleyes:
Reply 197
I just looked at my diary, and I'm convinced there's not enough time. I think conservatively I need a minimum of a day to read a lecture course and make condensed notes, then a day or 2 to do past papers. For most supervisions now I have max 2 days I can dedicate to them. So I'm on TSR.
Reply 198
Original post by alex_hk90

1. overwhelmed by how much there is to learn so don't see the point of trying too hard
2. do a bit of work then realise maybe it's OK as it wasn't as bad as I first thought

Thanks,

Well its surprising how much one can cram the days b4 the exams... I stayed over easter in cam to make sure that i was doing a decent amount of revision! Its all done now though!

time to pop some champers...
Original post by alex_hk90

Haha, classic. Happens to me too. Bottom line - no matter where you start, you'll end up slacking off. Still haven't found a way round it and i've been here 4 years!:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending