The Student Room Group

Language Students, do you have a 'favourite language'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kmiab
i study french and russian and i prefer russian, its so much cooler

Really? And where are you from?
Latin will always be the love of my life. I love its sound, the way its grammar works, and its literature. <3 For me it has the additional appeal of not being commonly spoken any more and therefore isn't "useful" like modern languages. Its beauty is not diluted by utility.

Going to pick up Greek soon. I think I'll enjoy it a lot too.
Original post by Paul PTS
Really? And where are you from?

England :smile:
I study French and German at Higher level (equivalent to AS). I much prefer German.
Reply 64
Original post by kmiab
England :smile:

And I'm from Moscow Oblast. :smile:
I studied foundation German and French, then carried GCSE on to GCSE. I really didn't like either of them, but I insisted on doing at least one to GCSE because universities like MFLs (at the time, UCL didn't accept anyone to any course unless they had a B at GCSE MFL, if you didn't offer a language you were required to do a language module there).
But now I study Level One Latin on the Cambridge Latin course. I prefer it massively to Modern languages. I guess it's because we don't have to do speaking or listening exams for Latin, because nobody speaks it (therefore nobody listens to it, either)
So yeah
Latin for me.
I'm Italian and I really love my language and Italian literature! I think it's really amazing! Although, if I have to be honest, I think that the grammar is quite difficult :smile: at school I study German, English and Spanish! I love English and Spanish but I really hate German! :/
My mother knows French so I study also it with her and I think it's a really lovely language!
My best friend studies Japanese at uni and she usually teaches me some words/phrases in Japanese :smile: it's really interesting!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Lyceum
Yes but the real question is, which do you prefer, Latin or Greek? :tongue:

As for myself, I don't know, I know crap loads of "dead" languages and quite a few modern ones - mainly for research or familial reasons, I'm quite antisocial.

In terms of ancient...it has to be either Sanskrit or Greek, though I used to be in love with Tocharian's verbal system.

Modern...well German and I never really got on, I mean its useful to read but my spoken accent is quite bad. Italian is fun to reel off swear words in a rapid manner. Greek is probably the one I speak the most so I'm tempted to say that. On the other hand, I was recently in France and I had a lot of unexpected fun speaking in French, which I did not suspect.

I'm about to learn some Mandarin, I'll let you guys know how that works out. :colonhash:

I don't know. I'm much stronger with Latin. My attempts at Greek compositions usually end in rage and me throwing things but I much preferred reading Homer last term than the Aeneid now. Difficult to say. Doing Tacitus next term (in the end I was too cowardly for comp phil) though so it might swing in favour of Latin again. :holmes:
Original post by 14thoctober
I'm Italian and I really love my language and Italian literature! I think it's really amazing! Although, if I have to be honest, I think that the grammar is quite difficult :smile: at school I study German, English and Spanish! I love English and Spanish but I really hate German! :/
My mother knows French so I study also it with her and I think it's a really lovely language!
My best friend studies Japanese at uni and she usually teaches me some words/phrases in Japanese :smile: it's really interesting!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study Spanish, German and English at A-Level and I'm in the same boat as you. I feel I have to try to enjoy German, probably because it's not as easy for me as Spanish is. I quite like Italian, as it happens... I took a GCSE in it. Everyone always says Spanish and German is a strange combo but I quite like it as a combination, it's just so different.
I did French and German at A Level and preferred German by a clear mile because I had an amazing teacher and was subsequently better at it because of the teaching! Now I'm doing Chinese with Japanese at uni and have to admit I prefer Chinese, even though the grammar's a bitch, just because we're so much further along with the language and I love my teachers and course mates. I also have a few friends from China so I have more of a chance to practise my Chinese in real life and not just in the classroom :smile:
Reply 70
I speak French, English and Italian fluently and I think they're all amazing languages, so rich, with wonderful literatures :smile:

I am currently on my gap year, studying in China. I've been studying Chinese for 4 years now and I love it sooo much ! I want to bang my head against the wall 80% of the time because I have troubles remembering how to write characters but otherwise it's amazing. The grammar is not too complicated, there are no genders, no cases, etc ... but still, it's a wonderfully complex language with such an amazing culture. Everything makes sense in Chinese. It's by far the most time-consuming language I've ever studied but I love it.

I'll start studying Japanese as part of my degree in September and I'm really looking forward to it :smile: I think it's the cutest language; the way it sounds and the katakana are adorable :tongue: I hope it'll become my favourite language with Chinese !
Original post by Stanners95
I study Spanish, German and English at A-Level and I'm in the same boat as you. I feel I have to try to enjoy German, probably because it's not as easy for me as Spanish is. I quite like Italian, as it happens... I took a GCSE in it. Everyone always says Spanish and German is a strange combo but I quite like it as a combination, it's just so different.

Yeah, I'm much the same way as you, but with French instead of German. I study both at AS level (well, the Scottish equivalent) and for some reason, I find German grammar much more straightforward, whereas French grammar never seems to stick in my head and it just doesn't seem to come as naturally to me. I do want to get better by listening to music, watching TV, reading books, etc, but I really have to go back and work on my basics first before I do that, and frankly the idea of having to memorise loads of irregular verbs and all of the tenses just seems like such a huge insurmountable obstacle. :frown:
I study French and German at GCSE and little bits of Spanish and Russian. I probably prefer German, the vocabulary is so much easier to remember.
Reply 73
Original post by Cicerao
Studied to AS: French, German.
to A2: German.
at uni: Italian.

I adore German. I like French. Don't care about Italian.

In fact, my favourite language is Brazilian Portuguese. I study it, but not at school or university.

Wow, wow, wow. Here I am reading through this thread the whole time thinking "No-one's going to mention Portuguese are they?" And boom, someone mentions Brazilian Portuguese. :eek:

I study French and Portuguese (European but teaching myself some Brazilian on the side) and I absolutely LOVE it. It's such a great language, just so many people don't study it so I can never get all nerdy and talk about how much I love it without boring people. It's so cool to see that it's not me just being weird and that there are some others that like it as well.
Reply 74
Original post by ellecttric
"No-one's going to mention Portuguese are they?" And boom, someone mentions Brazilian Portuguese.

I started Portuguese from scratch last year as part of my Spanish degree and I am totally addicted, I just love it! Spending my whole year abroad in Portugal too, I can't wait :smile:
Reply 75
New aspiring linguist here! :smile: I do both German and Spanish AS and will be doing both for A2, hopefully leading to dual honours at Uni. I've been doing Spanish since year 7 and German since year 8 (in year 7 only I did Latin) so technically I've been doing Spanish for longer, but I was fast tracked for GCSE and we spent most of year 11 only learning casually so in that time my German sort of caught up.

I think for most of the last five years I've preferred German but it's been pretty on-and-off. Since starting sixth form, however, I almost certainly prefer it. We have a lot more intensive learning time because there's only 4 in the class compared to 19 (:eek:) in Spanish. I also prefer the grammar in German, as it's a lot less fluid than Spanish so the rules are easier to remember! That said I do love a lot of aspects of Spanish and I think I'm the only one in my class who really enjoys using the subjunctive!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Genau
New aspiring linguist here! :smile: I do both German and Spanish AS and will be doing both for A2, hopefully leading to dual honours at Uni. I've been doing Spanish since year 7 and German since year 8 (in year 7 only I did Latin) so technically I've been doing Spanish for longer, but I was fast tracked for GCSE and we spent most of year 11 only learning casually so in that time my German sort of caught up.

I think for most of the last five years I've preferred German but it's been pretty on-and-off. Since starting sixth form, however, I almost certainly prefer it. We have a lot more intensive learning time because there's only 4 in the class compared to 19 (:eek:) in Spanish. I also prefer the grammar in German, as it's a lot less fluid than Spanish so the rules are easier to remember! That said I do love a lot of aspects of Spanish and I think I'm the only one in my class who really enjoys using the subjunctive!

See, I do both Spanish and German at AS (I started Spanish in Year 7 and German in Year 10) and I really much prefer Spanish. German's much more satisfying to write, but it's so nasty and horrible to speak. I much prefer Spanish's flow and pronunciation, plus it's much easier to speak (probably because I've done Spanish for longer)
Reply 77
I did do French and Spanish at gcse but dropped spanish at end of year 10 because I found it really boring
Reply 78
See, I do both Spanish and German at AS (I started Spanish in Year 7 and German in Year 10) and I really much prefer Spanish. German's much more satisfying to write, but it's so nasty and horrible to speak. I much prefer Spanish's flow and pronunciation, plus it's much easier to speak (probably because I've done Spanish for longer)

You can definitely be more confident when pronouncing stuff in Spanish, I agree, but I probably find it easier to speak in German, I think. I'm very hit and miss with rolling "r" in Spanish and sometimes I notice myself confusing "z" and "s" sounds (in Peninsular Spanish) even though I 100% know the difference...it just slips out like that :redface:
German's much more satisfying to write, but it's so nasty and horrible to speak.

It really saddens me that people hold such opinions about German, but to each their own I guess. To me, German is robust yet beautiful, and its words have weight yet refinement, or at least I think so. In my opinion if any language were to be described as 'nasty and horrible to speak' Arabic or Dutch would definitely be contenders on my list.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending