The Student Room Group

FP1 June 11 Edexcel - Paper and Model answers in the FIRST post.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsey
some centres took the W paper by mistake which is why Edexcel released grade boundaries.

It isn't necessarily the case that the paper is the' hardest. The grade boundaries are determined by the results achieved so the centres who took it might not be be representative of the centres as a whole.

Have you by any chance done revision notes for FP1 ??
Reply 441
Original post by Dalek1099
Exam Boards determine grade boundaries based on the response of students in comparison to previous years not on how good the cohort is so this shouldn't be a massive problem I doubt Edexcel could compare all the responses of all students they probably only use a small sample and they had to make sure that these students got fair grades so the grade boundaries should be fair.

Before deciding on grade boundaries they will look at the statistics as a whole, so if the centres were weaker on average, the mean mark would be lower as would the grade boundaries. In theory, this could/should be accounted for by looking at prior data.
Reply 442
Original post by armando_pierre
Have you by any chance done revision notes for FP1 ??

no, I haven't
Original post by Arsey
Before deciding on grade boundaries they will look at the statistics as a whole, so if the centres were weaker on average, the mean mark would be lower as would the grade boundaries. In theory, this could/should be accounted for by looking at prior data.

Grade boundaries are marked using criterion marking a set number do not get x% if only really dumb people sat modules in January for resits from June exams this wouldn't necessarily mean lower grade boundaries.Thats why Further Maths Modules have such high pass rates because the quality of the cohort is so high as entries to Further Maths increase due to several schemes like the Further Maths Support Programme and the ABac AAB in 3 facilitating subjects more less able people will be pushed into Further Maths which shouldn't lower the Grade Boundaries.This is a reason attributed to the fall in A-Level grades as people are going for harder subjects.Varying numbers of pupils with different abilities enter modules each year so this would make the whole system unreliable if it didn't use criterion based marking.
Reply 444
Grade boundaries are marked using criterion marking a set number do not get x% if only really dumb people sat modules in January for resits from June exams this wouldn't necessarily mean lower grade boundaries.Thats why Further Maths Modules have such high pass rates because the quality of the cohort is so high as entries to Further Maths increase due to several schemes like the Further Maths Support Programme and the ABac AAB in 3 facilitating subjects more less able people will be pushed into Further Maths which shouldn't lower the Grade Boundaries.This is a reason attributed to the fall in A-Level grades as people are going for harder subjects.Varying numbers of pupils with different abilities enter modules each year so this would make the whole system unreliable if it didn't use criterion based marking.

Yes but they use statistical evidence for deciding on comparative difficulty of papers. If the mean mark is lower it will impact the boundaries. However, they do also take into account prior data so if the cohort was weaker as a whole it wouldn't necessarily mean lower boundaries. The problem is how accurate is the prior data in comparison with previous years.
Original post by Arsey
Yes but they use statistical evidence for deciding on comparative difficulty of papers. If the mean mark is lower it will impact the boundaries. However, they do also take into account prior data so if the cohort was weaker as a whole it wouldn't necessarily mean lower boundaries. The problem is how accurate is the prior data in comparison with previous years.

They mainly match up student responses and questions to the criteria required for each grade and what was necessary last year to get an A,B,C.Using the mean mark would be pretty invalid I would be surprised if they really used that because that would be skewed by high or low performers as Edexcel will know from their S1 module maybe the median but that still would depend on the ability of the candidates sitting the paper which shouldn't affect grade boundaries.I am not entirely convinced grade boundaries will decrease for C2 neither is the head of maths at my college the internet responses suggest a weaker cohort but its hard to pin point why.It has happened many times where students haven't accurately predicted grade boundaries even for papers people struggled with high grade boundaries are released and people on here go :angry: showing how hard people found a paper each year doesn't always correlate to how easy the paper was.
Reply 446
They mainly match up student responses and questions to the criteria required for each grade and what was necessary last year to get an A,B,C.Using the mean mark would be pretty invalid I would be surprised if they really used that because that would be skewed by high or low performers as Edexcel will know from their S1 module maybe the median but that still would depend on the ability of the candidates sitting the paper which shouldn't affect grade boundaries.I am not entirely convinced grade boundaries will decrease for C2 neither is the head of maths at my college the internet responses suggest a weaker cohort but its hard to pin point why.It has happened many times where students haven't accurately predicted grade boundaries even for papers people struggled with high grade boundaries are released and people on here go :angry: showing how hard people found a paper each year doesn't always correlate to how easy the paper was.

I am not sure what statistics they will use, median would make more for some distributions.

I can normally predict the boundaries within a couple of UMS by objectively looking at the comparative difficultly to previous papers and previous bounds. In general, most students think the paper they sat was more difficult than previous ones they have done. Also TSR isn't really representative of the national cohort.

That said, predicting grade boundaries accurately this year is going to be much harder due to the removal of the Jan session, R papers and international spec papers.

C2 was a little harder than standard, so I would expect slightly lower boundaries than last summer something similar to Jan-12. I would be surprised if it went below 60 for an A.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello Sir,
I was wondering if you had any tips on Divisibility Proofs by induction where f(k+1)-f(k) does not work or is very lengthy. I have come across such questions in the Edexcel Textbook and no real method is given.

An example being :

Prove by induction that 2(42n+1) + 33n+1 is divisible by 11.

Thank you!
Original post by Polypocus
Hello Sir,
I was wondering if you had any tips on Divisibility Proofs by induction where f(k+1)-f(k) does not work or is very lengthy. I have come across such questions in the Edexcel Textbook and no real method is given.

An example being :

Prove by induction that 2(42n+1) + 33n+1 is divisible by 11.

Thank you!

For these types of question I just says that f(n)=11x and then manipulate f(n+1) so that it contains an expression from f(n) and then substitute for that expression and check you can take a factor of 11 out.When you have 4^(n) or 4^(n+1) this becomes 4^(n+1) or 4^(n+2) and then take that 4 out and rearrange f(n) to get 4^n or 4^(n+1) to equal something in terms of x.
Original post by Arsey
Tip - Get a casio 991ES.

the complex mode and matrix mode are very useful to check answers.

Past Papers

There is a mistake on question 1 on Practice Paper D it should be n(2n+5)(n-1) not n(2n-5)(n-1) so that it equals n(2n^2+3n-5).Also,The second part of question 2 seems to be missing.
(edited 9 years ago)
How's everyone preparation for this exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 451
Original post by Arsey
graded FP1 papers

Arsey. First of all thanks for all this effort you put in.
I think in your gold 1 paper for FP1 there is a mistake in the markscheme for question 6 (d), assuming that your answer to (c) is correct.
You got x=apq in part (c), and are told that that point lies in the directrix of the rectangular hyperbola y^2 = 4ax. This should mean that x=-a, so -a=apq and therefore pq=-1. However in the markscheme it says x=a, not -a, and reaches a conclusion that pq=1. Can you clarify why this is or if it just a minor mistake?

EDIT: i think there might not be a mistake, my ipod is not showing any negative of positive signs i just realised, which is probably why it looked wrong to
me
(edited 9 years ago)
If they don't tell you whether the rotation is anti-clockwise or clockwise do you assume it is anticlockwise (this is with regards to matrices)?
Reply 453
Original post by joey12340
If they don't tell you whether the rotation is anti-clockwise or clockwise do you assume it is anticlockwise (this is with regards to matrices)?

Assume anticlockwise, yes. Positive is anticlockwise, similar to CAST diagrams. Likewise if in your answer you don't specifically write 'clockwise' or place a minus sign they'll assume you meant anticlockwise.

EDIT: said the opposite thing, corrected now
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xenith
Assume anticlockwise, yes. Positive is clockwise, similar to CAST diagrams. Likewise if in your answer you don't specifically write 'clockwise' or place a minus sign they'll assume you meant anticlockwise.

I just found an answer to my own question, and found my answer on wikipedia: " When Cartesian coordinates are represented by standard position, defined by the x-axis rightward and the y-axis upward, positive rotations are anticlockwise and negative rotations are clockwise."
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle#Positive_and_negative_angles)
and you are actually wrong, sorry but thank anyway
Reply 455
Sorry, I meant to say positive was anticlockwise but clearly my fingers typed something contrary to what my brain was thinking :tongue: I think the beginning of my post mades sense, I'll edit it the rest to avoid confusion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Arsey do you have the mark scheme for the mock paper you posted on the first page? I can't seem to find it. Thank you for all your help and resources !!
Thoughts on the exam today?
I think it was easier than expected. Predicting highish grade boundaries 75 for 100, 70 for 90 and so on, but that's just my view. Arsey will be able to tell more accurately.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 459
Are model answers going up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending