The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Economics and Industrial Organization

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone who was taking this could tell me what it is like, and how does it compare to doing an straight economics course?

Thanks
Original post by alpesh m
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone who was taking this could tell me what it is like, and how does it compare to doing an straight economics course?

Thanks

Quick pointer to the course regulations, basically, you do different modules. I'm not in the department though so I can't really help much beyond this though - although if you have any questions, ask :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by TheTallOne
Quick pointer to the course regulations, basically, you do different modules. I'm not in the department though so I can't really help much beyond this though - although if you have any questions, ask :smile:

Thanks, I know you are not in the department but do you know how highly the degree is regarded in comparison to doing straight economics?
Thanks, I know you are not in the department but do you know how highly the degree is regarded in comparison to doing straight economics?

Sadly I don't :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by TheTallOne
Sadly I don't :frown:

Don't worry, I went to the open day today and managed to speak to an few people who are taking the courses.
Reply 5

Don't worry, I went to the open day today and managed to speak to an few people who are taking the courses.

care to share what you heard?
Reply 6
I do economics and economic history.

Straight econ is good, but it's tough. The econometrics modules in 2nd yr are very rigorous, and you have a module for each of micro and macro in 2nd yr. It can get very intense. In 1st year it's not so bad, but there is a HARSH step up in intensity of subject and workload which can be tough to cope with.

Econ + econ history on the other hand is a bit less mathsy (but can be depending on your options if that's your thing), and a bit more qualitative in it's approach, whilst retaining quite a bit of more related, less abstract maths.

IMO - it's easy to get bogged down and worry too much about this course or that course before you arrive. Once you get here (if you decide to), you'll be part of a quality quality dept, doing an econ (or econ derivative) course, from Warwick uni, so just do the best you can, get a first if you can, then you'll be set.

Too often people think the uni they go to makes them the person they are, and it's simply not true, or that minute differences in courses will change their employability by 100000%, but it's really not the case.
The key: do what you'll enjoy, do what you'll be good at, and be the best you can be in it, and you'll succeed no matter which you do.

/tangential life lecture for nobody in particular. :yy::yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ManicManc
I do economics and economic history.

:yy::yy:

Nick Crafts is a legend
Original post by Focus08
Nick Crafts is a legend

Agreed! :colone:
Reply 9
Economics and Economic History is awesome. In you're 3rd year 6/8 of you're modules are optional. Switching from Economics was best choice I ever made.
Refer to course pages!
Reply 11
Original post by abrp
Economics and Economic History is awesome. In you're 3rd year 6/8 of you're modules are optional. Switching from Economics was best choice I ever made.

And is there no compulsory RAE?
Original post by Focus08
And is there no compulsory RAE?

yep. i did 2 economic history 15 cat modules. the rest was WBS.
Reply 13
What kind of position does it put you in with respect to applying for IB spring weeks and summer internships?
Reply 14
Can you swap easily to straight Economics from Econ & Ind org, considering it is within a department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest