The Student Room Group

dating - when do you become 'exclusive' or 'bf/gf' in a relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Well I've never "dated" like that, but, it actually would differ each time depending on the circumstances.
In future I'm probably not going to do the whole FB status thing, seems kinda pointless. I just leave it blank.
Reply 21
well you say not to say "when they both feel ready blabla" but in reality, i'm afraid that IS the case... :erm:
First date is just a trial, but I expect exclusivity before a second date.
If i've agreed to go on a date with someone, I generally will focus on them and give it a shot, any sort of overlap of seeing/dating people seems a bit shady to me.
Reply 24
Original post by RobertPires
I tend not to ever date more than one person at once. I don't feel the need to constantly be in a relationship, so I date people I meet who I feel are exceptional in some way and if it works out it works out. I don't do the dating multiple people at once thing because I'm never that into multiple people at once and I don't see the point in going out with someone based solely on some superficial attraction to "see where things go".

yes but this is ridiculous! i meet so many people who indignantly insist "im not like that, i only date people i'm serious about, and only one at a time!!"

BUT

my point is, you surely need to get to know someone before you can determine if they are exceptional and compatible for a relationship. how can you determine that unless you go out with them a few times and get to know them :rolleyes:

in my experience people who say this are generally losers who seldom get asked out, and have no choice but to stick with the sole choice they have and hope it works out since they do not have any other options. they like to make it seem really noble and all. but seriously, if only one girl has accepted to meet you for lunch in a year, you arent exactly making a big sacrifice by ONLY seeing her right from the offset. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Original post by BigBonsaiGuy
First date is just a trial, but I expect exclusivity before a second date.

whaat? how can you possibly know someone well enough after you drank a coffee with them?

Original post by Double Agent
If i've agreed to go on a date with someone, I generally will focus on them and give it a shot, any sort of overlap of seeing/dating people seems a bit shady to me.

so you go on a first date with Girl A on Friday. on Wednesday Girl B asks yu out. do you say, no im in a relationship with Girl A??? ridiculous. you should date girl A the following friday and also go out with girl B on wednesday. get to know em both before committing.

plus theres alot of obligations assoiated wth being in a exclusive rleationship, like calling texting all the time, meeting family, turnign up as their partner to socials etc
Original post by shinytoy
whaat? how can you possibly know someone well enough after you drank a coffee with them?

That's what the second and all subsequent dates are to do; I accept it doesn't mean we're going to be together forever, but I wouldn't treat someone as 'one of my options' and wouldn't be at all happy if they treated me like I was one of their options.

Also, there's no coffee with me. A first date goes something like this: I swing by in my convertible and pick them up, before we proceed to the French restaurant I've picked out and have a fine five-course meal, because going for a moonlit walk along the river. It finishes with us stopping by a particular bush and I whip out the chilled non-alcohoic champagne I stored there early and we drink it together at midnight.

so you go on a first date with Girl A on Friday. on Wednesday Girl B asks yu out. do you say, no im in a relationship with Girl A??? ridiculous. you should date girl A the following friday and also go out with girl B on wednesday. get to know em both before committing.

plus theres alot of obligations assoiated wth being in a exclusive rleationship, like calling texting all the time, meeting family, turnign up as their partner to socials etc

Well to be honest the chance of me dating two people who I see comething happening wityh at the same time are pretty slim, so I dont think i'd have this problem. If i've been on a date with girl a and want to see her again, why would I be interested in then dating girl b? Im not into casual relationships.
Reply 28
I'm waiting for some girl to go "oh it just happens, you don't need to agree on it". And the obvious answer to that is: he might not be as exclusive as you think.

For me, there is no rule about first kiss, how many times sleeping together etc. If you haven't agreed on being exclusive, you are not. People have FWBs, casual relationships, they date... When you've sat down and said "so how do you feel about not seeing anyone else but each other?", you've started the discussion.
Reply 29
Original post by *Lollo*
I'm waiting for some girl to go "oh it just happens, you don't need to agree on it". And the obvious answer to that is: he might not be as exclusive as you think.

For me, there is no rule about first kiss, how many times sleeping together etc. If you haven't agreed on being exclusive, you are not. People have FWBs, casual relationships, they date... When you've sat down and said "so how do you feel about not seeing anyone else but each other?", you've started the discussion.

How do you initiate that conversation? It's probably a very obvious question, but it's something I've been trying to figure out. And should I wait for him to initiate it or ask myself?

Why ask our opinion when you're just going to call us ridiculous for not being interested in casual relationships? There's not 'should' about it, it's however you wish to approach things.

And what's wrong with being obligated to do certain things for someone you supposedly like?
Reply 31
Original post by ChaoticMaster
Differs each time. Is only after you have had the disccusion and decided to be exclusive.

I agree with this though most of the time it seems to become "exclusive" pretty quickly :smile:
I will never become a gf. I may become a girlfriend though.
Reply 33
Original post by d123
How do you initiate that conversation? It's probably a very obvious question, but it's something I've been trying to figure out. And should I wait for him to initiate it or ask myself?

I have never brought that up with a guy. I'd wait for him to say something. And I'd be dating other guys until then. I think a lot of guys (particularly a bit older) have some sort of gene that tells them all (young) girls are clingy and will want to get married after sex. It can be difficult to make them understand that I am not, I just play it cool as long as I can. After all, I'm not in a rush to be in a couple. If he isn't eager to seal the deal either, then it's not right.
Reply 34
Original post by *Lollo*
I have never brought that up with a guy. I'd wait for him to say something. And I'd be dating other guys until then. I think a lot of guys (particularly a bit older) have some sort of gene that tells them all (young) girls are clingy and will want to get married after sex. It can be difficult to make them understand that I am not, I just play it cool as long as I can. After all, I'm not in a rush to be in a couple. If he isn't eager to seal the deal either, then it's not right.

Fair enough, I'll just keep waiting then and see what happens.
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco

Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Once you've become 'Facebook Official', then it's serious :wink:

This. No seriously this!
yes but this is ridiculous! i meet so many people who indignantly insist "im not like that, i only date people i'm serious about, and only one at a time!!"

BUT

my point is, you surely need to get to know someone before you can determine if they are exceptional and compatible for a relationship. how can you determine that unless you go out with them a few times and get to know them :rolleyes:

in my experience people who say this are generally losers who seldom get asked out, and have no choice but to stick with the sole choice they have and hope it works out since they do not have any other options. they like to make it seem really noble and all. but seriously, if only one girl has accepted to meet you for lunch in a year, you arent exactly making a big sacrifice by ONLY seeing her right from the offset. :rolleyes:

I'm not claiming to be noble, nor am I this loser you described. It merely does nothing for me and I never find myself in that situation. If the first time I meet someone I'm not interested then I don't arrange to meet them again. With friends of friends etc. I may run into them again and then decide I like them.

I simply am not the see multiple people at once because there aren't that many people I'm interested in. If the situation ever arose I think I'd just make a decision. Exclusivity isn't due to a lack of options.
Well, it depends on each couple. When you feel ready :smile:
also when you are like 25 - 45+ do you still

a) ask 'will you be my girlfriend'?
b) call them girl/boyfirends? they arent girls or boys anymore, it seems immature and juvenile

I am almost 25 and he is nearly 30, he will continue to be my boyfriend until such a time as he becomes my fiancé and after that my husband.
Reply 39
Original post by hippieglitter
I am almost 25 and he is nearly 30, he will continue to be my boyfriend until such a time as he becomes my fiancé and after that my husband.

is this normal/common? what do most people do? people that think it is juvenile, do they just say 'partner'? im catholic and 'partner' seems to imply immoral premaritial sexual relations. any other ideas? im too embarrassed to say boyf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending