The Student Room Group

what are my chances?

heya, i've noticed that loadsa ppl r getting offers and i was wondering, what my chances are. I applied at the end of october and have only got one interview at portsmouth so far. However, i was originally studying medicine but failed, had to withdraw and am now being forced to take a yr out in which i'm working in a pharmacy. I got AAA in my alevels. Last time i applied to do medicine, i got 2 offers for pharmacy without interviews from aston and bath. how much do they discriminate against ppl who have failed? and am i getting too worried too soon?
:frown: :confused: :frown:
Reply 1
Calm down. With those grades nd an interview you're almost guaranteed an offer at Portsmouth. Others will follow.

Where did you apply to?

Have you had any definately rejections?
Reply 2
i havent had any rejections yet, its that it seems wierd that other people who applie at the same time as me, have already got loadsa offers and i've only heard back from one of mine.
I applied to aston, notts, kings, sop, manchester and portsmouth.
If it's worrying you you could always ring the universities and say that you're slightly worried to have not heard anything.
Reply 4
With grades of AAA, every school of pharmacy around the country should give you an offer. Pharmacy is much less competitive than medicine. Do not worry.
theepw
With grades of AAA, every school of pharmacy around the country should give you an offer.

Grades aren't a guarantee though, I've heard of people predicted AAA being rejected after interview.

However I find it strange the original poster hasn't not received any interviews or such.
Reply 6
Wow... you must have to come across REALLY badly in an interview to be rejected with AAA, because all my mates got offers with straights A's.

As long as you dont come across as a complete mad man in interview, I am pretty sure you will get offers from all Pharmacy unis you apply to. If you come across as passionate, you will be fine.

But thats a bit of a shocker to hear that Emmz, just goes to show how important first impressions can actually be.
I applied in early Novemeber and nothing at all from the two applied for pharmacy. ARGGHHH
theepw

But thats a bit of a shocker to hear that Emmz, just goes to show how important first impressions can actually be.

Well not really, you can have all the brains in the world but if you have zilch communication skills you sure aren't gonna make a good pharmacist!
Reply 9
-Emmz-
Well not really, you can have all the brains in the world but if you have zilch communication skills you sure aren't gonna make a good pharmacist!

In most cases, interviews are just to see if you're a competent communicator and to see whether you have genuine enthusiasm for the course. Those that don't get in while being predicted AAA most likely are lacking in those two areas.
Uh yes ... I know ...
Schools of Pharmacy can be funny with medic related people. A lot of medics see pharmacy as a "plan b" - they don't really want to do it and have reluctantly resorted to it. In cases like this (from my experience). the student never really wants to do pharmacy and is always looking at ways to get back on to the medicine degree. It isn't in the interests of the school of pharmacy to give out places to people who they think may want to be somewhere else.

(It may not be the case for sonal, but this is just a general observation from the past few years)
Reply 12
i do understand what ur saying because the first time i applied to medschool, i honestly cudn't have cared less about my applications to pharmacy, my whole life literally did centre around becoming a dr. However, since i've failed, i've been told that there is no chance of me ever getting into medicine in england, not even onto the gep (graduate entry programmes) whatever i now achieve in my life. The only option left is going to prague, which, for me isn't really an option. So, i've now decided that pharmacy is the job for me. If unis do discriminate against me, does that mean that because i messed up once in my whole entire life, that i'm basically destined to become a factory worker or sumthing! Oh and i still haven't heard nething! :frown:

(I would also just like to add, for anyone whos at medschool, or applying to go to medschool. I'm 100% sure that in freshers week everyone will tell you that u don't need to work too hard, aim for c's and ur sorted! Well, ur not! work ur guts off! Aim for a's just like u always have done, and remember that the people who are there are the people who passed, the ones who failed and lost everything that ever meant anything to them, aren't there to warn you to work hard! Obviously, enjoy urself and have fun, but be aware that it is important to keep up with stuff.)

Latest

Trending

Trending