The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Paper 1 Language

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a rusH
I did that too! I put something in at the end about an elderly neighbour who dreamed of travelling but didn't get the chance, until she passed away last February... Then I told the parent's to not let it happen to their dear Sally... Very cheesy but oh well :biggrin:

Great minds think alike eh?

I just did some philosophical bullsugar about how "david" had always had an eye for things we immediately disregard and how they (his parents) should look through his eyes, see what he sees and let him go lol
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm no good at maths, which is why I teach English. No, I'm being serious. Remember your exams count for 60% of the marks, so if your coursework is lower than A*, you have to do better in the exam. I only mark one paper so I don't do all the complicated totalling. Some slaves in the basement of the AQA building do that, I think.

what if you got a B in paper 1 how much does that affect your over all grade ? (sorry i know you said that your not sure about the maths involved, but any estimation would be helpful)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 382
different specs
I think my persuade letter was terrible as was probably 99% of peoples. The thing with that question is that it is very cheesy no matter how it's done. That's what I mean by terrible, though examiners wont care since 99% of the country's papers will be like mine because of the cheesiness of the question. Is there really anyway for a letter like that to not be cheesy? :confused:

But yeah, other than the cheese I think it was alright. Might have come across as very salesman-ish due to the number of statistics and quotes I put down :colondollar:

Though I made sure to put as many techniques such as anecdotes and statistics, as I could, though ensuring they were suitable of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
guys what are the garde boundaries, (the total of both papers together is 108 marks)
Reply 385
Original post by Roshniroxy
guys what are the garde boundaries, (the total of both papers together is 108 marks)

Entirely depends on how well collectively everyone did. If everyone got really really high marks they'd make the boundaries higher.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php

Use this for the boundaries at previous years.
Reply 386
For Section B (persuade), I included statistics about the recent health inspection the Safari park had, opinions from its online visitor book, a quotation from a teacher of biology at a university on the students experience, stats from the travel agent and also an anecdote about my aunt who had visited with young children. Hopefully I got everything in there- similes, rhetorical questions, wide vocab. It was slightly formal but I find that its the only way to get good marks otherwise it sounds a bit amateurish.
Reply 387
I flopped! I chose to persuade and instead of persuading my friends parents, I persuaded my friend to come! How many marks would you lose for that??
Original post by Ayers
I can only give you my opinion but I really like the ideas at the beginning then you said about a girl suiciding and I think thats a bit too harsh for a letter being sent to a friends parents. Made your point clear but was it really suitable for the purpose and the audience?

The rest I think is great.

aaahh :frown: i didn't have time to think of a good anecdote and that's the only one i could think of

And i think so, for emphasis i kept refering back to the persona who i was writing to, so i kept saying 'Mrs Jones, don't let this happen...' or ' What would you have done Mrs Jones?' What do you think ??
Reply 389
Original post by NoctisXIII
There is nothing that says 48/54 = an A* They may lower it for all we know this year and make it 46/54.

And don't forget that if you get really high on paper 2 then it wont even matter. And even if you got 2 As on both language papers, (you say that you got A*s in both your coursework and speaking & listening), so if you get high As you could still get an A* total :tongue:

FROM Jun 09 Grade boundaries you need 48 / 54 for an A* for the first paper and then the second paper respectively. For an overall A* you need 462 / 540 - THAT IS EVERYTHING - EXAMS, S+L AND COURSEWORK.

Someone else do the rest Lol :colondollar:
Reply 390
Original post by WizardOfOz#1
Great minds think alike eh?

I just did some philosophical bullsugar about how "david" had always had an eye for things we immediately disregard and how they (his parents) should look through his eyes, see what he sees and let him go lol

Haha very Atticus-esque.... "If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

Sorry just a bit caught up in my Lit revision and had to say :colondollar: :rolleyes:
Reply 391
try doing the OCR one, it was ridiculous and the french was even more ridiculous...
DOES ANYBODY KNOW if there will be a re-sit paper released in November/Jan for AQA GCSE English Spec A?
Reply 393
For anyone who done the free running exam, this is the article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/aug/03/fitness.freerunning1?INTCMP=SRCH

I could have included much much more now I have read it much carefully.
Reply 394
aaahh :frown: i didn't have time to think of a good anecdote and that's the only one i could think of

And i think so, for emphasis i kept refering back to the persona who i was writing to, so i kept saying 'Mrs Jones, don't let this happen...' or ' What would you have done Mrs Jones?' What do you think ??

No thats good. You're interacting with them, you're making it sound essential, you're using "..." - you sound passionate and you almost sound demanding. Thats good :biggrin:

Original post by ROSSYROO
FROM Jun 09 Grade boundaries you need 48 / 54 for an A* for the first paper and then the second paper respectively. For an overall A* you need 462 / 540 - THAT IS EVERYTHING - EXAMS, S+L AND COURSEWORK.

Someone else do the rest Lol :colondollar:

Oh dear :frown: Thats made me sad. Alright. Revision for paper 2 is the key then. I'm aiming for an A overall, even if I get an A though, I'll be annoyed I didn't get an A* - its just how it goes :wink:
Original post by Ayers
Entirely depends on how well collectively everyone did. If everyone got really really high marks they'd make the boundaries higher.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php

Use this for the boundaries at previous years.

Thank you, i'm trying to consolidate myself with the grade boundaries. The grade boundaries for the january science papers went down a lot, to get an A* you could have got 32 out of the total which was 45 marks ! Do you think the same might happen for the June exams for english ??
Original post by kikicandance
i did use personal pronouns and rhetoric devices and aliteration and all that jazz, but when i proof read it at the end, it sounded more like a persuasive text than an advice text. is there really a HUGE difference between persuade and advise?

That's the problem of Advise your not supposed to persuade, it's a diffcult type of style of writing I can't explain it properly if you go over board it's persuading, under board it's terribble :P gotta get the balance and techniques balances aswell as content :P
Reply 397
Original post by Ayers
No thats good. You're interacting with them, you're making it sound essential, you're using "..." - you sound passionate and you almost sound demanding. Thats good :biggrin:

Oh dear :frown: Thats made me sad. Alright. Revision for paper 2 is the key then. I'm aiming for an A overall, even if I get an A though, I'll be annoyed I didn't get an A* - its just how it goes :wink:

Exactly the same mate. An A is exceptional, but still I will be ****ed off and will be annoyed I didn't get that measly * :tongue: Yes, Paper 2 for me is easier.

I dont understand how people can say that if you do well on Paper 2 (say A*) and say a B on Paper 1, you can still get an A* :/ I need a simple breakdown.

I love poetry though, and I want to to be and English teacher so without sounding like I am boasting, I naturally take it in (because it interests me!)
Reply 398
Thank you, i'm trying to consolidate myself with the grade boundaries. The grade boundaries for the january science papers went down a lot, to get an A* you could have got 32 out of the total which was 45 marks ! Do you think the same might happen for the June exams for english ??

Personally I think they'll be quite high this time. In my other subjects - the trend is that boundaries are going up so I think it could be the same here. What are you hoping to get?

Original post by ROSSYROO
Exactly the same mate. An A is exceptional, but still I will be ****ed off and will be annoyed I didn't get that measly * :tongue: Yes, Paper 2 for me is easier.

I dont understand how people can say that if you do well on Paper 2 (say A*) and say a B on Paper 1, you can still get an A* :/ I need a simple breakdown.

I love poetry though, and I want to to be and English teacher so without sounding like I am boasting, I naturally take it in (because it interests me!)

Surely if you get an A* in paper 2 lets say, and a B in paper 1, you'd get an A overall between the two exams? Ofcourse it depends on the level of the grade (if that makes sense). A high B and a high A* may lead to an A* overall - depends on the coursework I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 399
If I got 1 mark of an A for 40% coursework. A mid B on todays Paper 1 (30%) (hated it) and a solid A on Paper 2 (30%) on wednesday, would that get me an A overall? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending