The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Paper 1 Language

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Do you know all the poems?
Original post by Yaya_abukar
Am i the only one who had to rush section b becasue section was mind boggling long?

Hi, I found the paper pretty hard than expected on previous years. There was just not enough time to cram everything in. I did the argue question and had a blank mind coming up with any original ideas and then just rambling on for England in the short space of time I had left. I spent to long on section one. Any one do the argue question and what ideas did they come up with? Seriously, panicking now for Wednesday's paper.
Reply 582
Original post by und
Do you know all the poems?

I think I definitely need to learn Vultures a lot more.. I haven't seen past papers with Vultures in though.. hopefully it won't come up on wednesday as it's the only one I don't know very well!
Reply 583
Mine was weird, like the enlarged watch was red,but the one on the womans wrist was like lilac????????????????????????//
Reply 584
Original post by stupefy!
I think I definitely need to learn Vultures a lot more.. I haven't seen past papers with Vultures in though.. hopefully it won't come up on wednesday as it's the only one I don't know very well!

Vultures is AMAZING! like *sigh* if vultures came up i would be buzzing. By the way because i'm re-sitting english language i've had to self study and i kinda went through both clusters...anyway say if you're given a poem from cluster 1 are you not able to compare it to a poem from cluster two?

the last stanza of vultures= SUPERB
trust me i'm not a huge fan of english but that has possibly got to be one of the best literary pieces i've read
Reply 585
Original post by Lol_Fish
How many pages did people write in general overall : P ??

I finished the answer booklet....
And my ad was definately RED!
I did persuade btw.
I actually think it was better than some past papers we've done in class, like the one about learning to be green from the 1940s, that one was horrible.
Reply 586
I've learned cluster 2 for paper 2 and I'm praying that ither This Room or Love after Love will pop up!
Reply 587
Original post by lolroflmao94
Pink definitely!

It was red + pink .. perhaps to represent the idea that it was for males and females :wink:
Reply 588
Original post by Elisir
I've learned cluster 2 for paper 2 and I'm praying that ither This Room or Love after Love will pop up!

They're the poems that im really hoping wont come up because my notes on them are really crap.. mind sharing some notes? :biggrin:
Reply 589
Original post by LegendX
They're the poems that im really hoping wont come up because my notes on them are really crap.. mind sharing some notes? :biggrin:

Those 2 aren't named poems. They shouldn't come up in a question. They can be used however as a poem choice yourself but its almost guaranteed that it will not be in a question (well we havent studied it, because AQA didn't call it a 'named' poem and apparently is quite a poor poem. Haven't read it myself though)
Reply 590
Original post by Simonthegreat
Hi, I found the paper pretty hard than expected on previous years. There was just not enough time to cram everything in. I did the argue question and had a blank mind coming up with any original ideas and then just rambling on for England in the short space of time I had left. I spent to long on section one. Any one do the argue question and what ideas did they come up with? Seriously, panicking now for Wednesday's paper.

yeah i done the argue question um various points i brought up:

-thrill seekers get that natural high from dangerous sports, would people rather have them resort to violence and illegal activities?

-um also people get injured in all sports e.g rugby people can in extreme cases become paralysed. kinda took up a patronizing tone (not too good but i found it amusing) saying "why don't we stop people participating in all sports? You may consider that to be illogical, well it's just as illogical as the fruitless argument..." bla bla

honestly there was only so much you could say..it was hard :/
For Section A question 4 I wrote that the purpose of Item 1 was to argue. Will I lose marks for this as it’s to inform. Also, for Item 2 I wrote that it was a poster. Will I lose marks?
Reply 592
Original post by Hdizzle
yeah i done the argue question um various points i brought up:

-thrill seekers get that natural high from dangerous sports, would people rather have them resort to violence and illegal activities?

-um also people get injured in all sports e.g rugby people can in extreme cases become paralysed. kinda took up a patronizing tone (not too good but i found it amusing) saying "why don't we stop people participating in all sports? You may consider that to be illogical, well it's just as illogical as the fruitless argument..." bla bla

honestly there was only so much you could say..it was hard :/

A lot of people did argue. I wanted to do persuade before coming into the exam but the persuade tasks weren't particularly good, so I took argue. Personally I think I did well, managing to put some random stuff in like a quote from Hannibal Barca, managing to link it to what free-runners do, but hopefully that will tick the flair box of the examiners mark sheet. Although it sounds random it actually fits in quite well. Also talked about binding shackles of 'Orwellian' socety just to sound fancy :smile:

I wrote 4 paragraphs not including intro and conclusion with a point discussed in each:
1) Its dangerous
2) Its fun and is quite safe if proper precautions are taken
3) Tourists and the general public find it tasteless
4) Gives the youth something to do ... otherwise they would be involved in crime (stereotypical but nevertheless a point backed up by a quote). Also mentionned that it keeps them healthy.
Reply 593
Original post by Dr.Pwepper
For Section A question 4 I wrote that the purpose of Item 1 was to argue. Will I lose marks for this as it’s to inform. Also, for Item 2 I wrote that it was a poster. Will I lose marks?

Unfortunately, yes you might do because the question ended with something about linking language to purpose so you had to say what the purpose of each item was. You wouldn't lose a ton of marks but maybe a few. But then again thats my opinion, lets just hope its not the examiners. We can always only hope for the best :frown:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Because there is another page (e.g. p14) which gives a mark out of 9 for spelling, punctuation and grammar and the 2 marks are added together.

Right, it's time for an old lady to get some sleep, so I'll wish you all good night and good luck for the next one.

Hi, sorry to bother you (again). I'm just wondering, when comparing and describing the poems, how 'extreme' can you go? I know that we're encouraged to come up with original interpretations, but is there such a thing as an interpretation that is 'too different'?

I'm asking this as I have several wacky, shall we say, interpretations and I'm slightly concerned that the examiner might not approve and mark them as wrong.

I'm asking this to anyone basically, but I thought you might know considering you're an examiner...:smile:
Reply 595
Original post by lolroflmao94
Pink definitely!

Wasn't actually Pink, it was like 25% Pink 75% Red.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
:confused:

Pathos means appealing to the audience's emotions, specifically to inspire feelings of pity or sadness. Plenty there in cluster 1, I would think. What Were They Like? Vultures? Can't be specific without my anthology in front of me. I only teach cluster 2. Thank God I'll never have to do Unrelated Incidents ever again. You think you kids have got it bad? I've had to do those poems for at least 6 years.

Thats an awesome poem, the structure (an auto que) and a man expressing his angered view on how people have a strong reigonal accent are margebalised and considred unibteligent (:
Ah I can't wait for Paper 2 Section B though, not looking forward to the poetry especially What Were They Like?
Original post by shouldberevising
Probably five people in my whole hall got their timing right
I know ten people that missed out the eight marker
I got it all done but rushed my section B ! Bring on tomorrrrows exam!:wink:

i rused section b too, i had 25 mins and i forgot to put 'your sincerely' at the bottom. Great.
I did argue on this paper! My points were SO strange, so I was just hoping you guys could tell me if you thought they were alright?

Intro para - Why should we not be allowed to play dangerous sports/ Where has all the fun gone?

Para 1 - There maybe risks involved with dangerous sports but without them we may not know success. I gave the example of Scott and Shakleton exploring the Arctic and Mt Everest and said how they took risks but saw great success.

Para 2 - You don't know what could happen to a sport in the future. I said how years ago tennis may have been considered foolish or dangerous but now it is respected. Who's to say that won't happen to a sport such as 'free running'. I said how we may see new sports being played at the Olympic games soon.

Para 3 - I said how while some people argue that some dangerous sports (like free ocean diving) may harm habitats, not all sports enthusiasts harm the environment thus it's no reason to stop. I also mentioned how only 1/3 of our oceans have been explored so through sport there may be room for discovery.

Conclusion- I talked about how our basic human right is freedom and that gives us the choice and no-one else.

My whole thing was in favour of dangerous sports (which was already the wierd side to go on) and then my points were strange too.

I TOTALLY MESSED UP SECTION A BTW. Not a happy bunny at all! Wanted my a*!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending