The Student Room Group

Graphic design uni interview

Hope I'm posting in the right place...wouldnt want my wrists slapped :smile:

I have a university interview in 2 weeks and I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that someone out there may be able to help me be a bit better prepared for it!

My portfolio isn't an issue, I think I've pretty much got that sorted although they want me to provide a written piece, being what would be classed as a mature student I can't provide an essay for example so if anyone has any suggestions on a written piece?...

I'm someone who struggles to pull answers out of the top of my head in an interview setting so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue on possible questions that they may ask me so that I can prepare some answers.

It would be very much appreciated if anyone can help :biggrin:
Original post by Bobbyrazz
Hope I'm posting in the right place...wouldnt want my wrists slapped :smile:

I have a university interview in 2 weeks and I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that someone out there may be able to help me be a bit better prepared for it!

My portfolio isn't an issue, I think I've pretty much got that sorted although they want me to provide a written piece, being what would be classed as a mature student I can't provide an essay for example so if anyone has any suggestions on a written piece?...

I'm someone who struggles to pull answers out of the top of my head in an interview setting so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue on possible questions that they may ask me so that I can prepare some answers.

It would be very much appreciated if anyone can help :biggrin:

Hey =) I've also been applying for Graphic Design this year! I've had all my interviews though so hopefully I can help a bit xD Where have you applied?
For a written piece, you could just choose a topic that interests you within the graphic design field and investigate it. For example, you could do a comparative study of advertising, looking at advertising during different historical ages and comparing designers work.

Questions they could ask:
Why Graphic Design?
Why at their uni?
What do you think graphic design is?
What made you interested in it?
Your other interests?
Which designers inspire you?

They also ask you stuff about your personal statament.
And then at every interview i've had they pick out some of your work and ask you questions about that, so just make sure you can talk about every piece in your portfolio =) Like how did you come up with this design? What inspired this piece and project? How do you develop your ideas?

Hope this helps a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by Kai Hiwatari
Hey =) I've also been applying for Graphic Design this year! I've had all my interviews though so hopefully I can help a bit xD Where have you applied?
For a written piece, you could just choose a topic that interests you within the graphic design field and investigate it. For example, you could do a comparative study of advertising, looking at advertising during different historical ages and comparing designers work.

Questions they could ask:

Why Graphic Design?
Why at their uni?
What do you think graphic design is?
What made you interested in it?
Your other interests?
Which designers inspire you?

They also ask you stuff about your personal statament.
And then at every interview i've had they pick out some of your work and ask you questions about that, so just make sure you can talk about every piece in your portfolio =) Like how did you come up with this design? What inspired this piece and project? How do you develop your ideas?

Hope this helps a bit!

That's fantastic thanks!
I've applied at teeside
Original post by Bobbyrazz
That's fantastic thanks!
I've applied at teeside

Ah cool =)
You're welcome =)
Reply 4
I wonder what you are doing now. Sorry, not being weird I just wanna know how your design career is working out as I am applying for a graphic design course at uni this year. :smile:
Thank you so much. This has really helped me. I have my first university interview for Graphic design tomorrow and I just wanted to make sure i was preparing accordingly 🥰
Original post by Siya_Sunflower_
Thank you so much. This has really helped me. I have my first university interview for Graphic design tomorrow and I just wanted to make sure i was preparing accordingly 🥰

Hiii have an interview for Portsmouth graphic design next week. what questions did they ask you and is there any way I should prepare ? thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest