The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Unit 2 Education with research methods THE AFTERMATH!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cupcakes_x
Oh my my hand was killing after the exam! My hand writing started off neat and readable and towards the end I couldn't even read my handwriting myself. I was doing some fast action writing :P

That's what you get when you have three 20 markers :|

Haha let's hope we don't get marked on handwriting then! Lol. And I know, three 20 markers in 2 hours is wayyyyy too much, aswell as other questions too :/
What are the grade boundaries for an A,B or C?
Reply 82
Guys seriously it doesn't matter :smile:

We were all under pressure, well done to those people who interpreted it correctly - but like I said, it doesn't matter for those who didn't because it's not wrong[ to only focus on one thing. We will get some marks for it, and like I said before, can afford to still lose some to get an A.

I hope, anyway..
Reply 83
Original post by scaredofexams
What are the grade boundaries for an A,B or C?

Well I think it's 80% overall..

So 60 + 90 = 150 over all

And 80 per cent of 150 is 120

Therefore, you can lose 30 marks over both units and still get an A?

Well thats what I thought, but someone else yesterday said different so I don't really know?

60 mark at 80% would be - 48/60 = lose 12 marks and still get an A because I've seen this in my text books
90 mark at 80% would be - 72/90 = lose 18 marks

12 + 18 = 30 to lose on both units.

Frankly that's a lot.. like I said.. an entire like, 20 mark question and then some?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
According to the jan 2011 paper:

SCLY2 GCE SOCIOLOGY UNIT 2-

A - 60/90
B - 54/90
C - 49/90
D - 44/90
E - 39/90

Hope this helps ..
(edited 12 years ago)
And how are you meant to do one essay combining gender, class and ethnicity for differential achievemen? I can do a separate essay for both. That question should just be about class. They've already tested gender and ethnicity in previous years.
Reply 86
Original post by husn
According to the jan 2011 paper:

SCLY2 GCE SOCIOLOGY UNIT 2-

A - 60/90
B - 54/90
C - 49/90
D - 44/90
E - 39/90

Hope this helps ..

Jeez that means we can lose like 42 marks and still get an A. That's like a whole exam lol..
Reply 87
Original post by misskimono
And how are you meant to do one essay combining gender, class and ethnicity for differential achievemen? I can do a separate essay for both. That question should just be about class. They've already tested gender and ethnicity in previous years.

I completely agree with you x
Reply 88
On the last question I wrote about practical, ethical and theoretical issues! I dont think I was meant to though?!
Reply 89
For my education essay i wrote about:
A reference to Item A (Our teacher told us we have to do this or you can't score more than 12 marks..)

Class
Becker
Ray Rist
Ball
Labelling
Self Fullfilling Prophecy

Ethnicity
Schools Selection Process
Teacher Racism - Wright
Pupil's Responses/Subcultures - Fuller
Ethnocentric Curriculum

For all these points I gave examples, defined, ect..

For AO2 marks:
Contrasted with external factors
Douglas and working class parents
Material Deprivation for Ethnic Minorities

Do people think this is okay?
Reply 90
Original post by scaredofexams
People are saying to read the item because in the item it said: 'Social groups are made up of social class, gender and ethnicity'

ok lets say ur right yeah ..so the examiner expcets us to write about all 3 ..?
and evaluation ..theres atleast 30 names and a hell of a alot evaluation..that is why i am certain they meant just internal factors of class coz if they meant the others ..ther actually stupid! they cannot have expected us to do all of that
Reply 91
Original post by kkate1212
For my education essay i wrote about:
A reference to Item A (Our teacher told us we have to do this or you can't score more than 12 marks..)

Class
Becker
Ray Rist
Ball
Labelling
Self Fullfilling Prophecy

Ethnicity
Schools Selection Process
Teacher Racism - Wright
Pupil's Responses/Subcultures - Fuller
Ethnocentric Curriculum

For all these points I gave examples, defined, ect..

For AO2 marks:
Contrasted with external factors
Douglas and working class parents
Material Deprivation for Ethnic Minorities

Do people think this is okay?

are u being serious ..how on earth did u have time to write it all out properly!
i spent like 40 mins on that essay and i totally forgot to write the external factors like material deprivaton etc ...
i wrote becker rist cicorel +kitsuse ..sharpe n green colin lacey rosenthal jacobson ..sugarman gillborn and youdel ...lool so i had no time to write others :s-smilie: ...is marketisation and sugarman ok for the external factors ? ..coz i had no time to write the external too and only rote eval of labelling ..???
Reply 92
Original post by lilpg
ok lets say ur right yeah ..so the examiner expcets us to write about all 3 ..?
and evaluation ..theres atleast 30 names and a hell of a alot evaluation..that is why i am certain they meant just internal factors of class coz if they meant the others ..ther actually stupid! they cannot have expected us to do all of that

I wrote mainly about class but didn't find it that difficult to fit gender and ethnicity into my answers. For example, I talked about labelling and mentioned studies that had looked at the effects of labelling on kids of different classes, and others that had looked at the effects of labelling on kids of different ethnicities. I did mainly talk about class because there was most to write about with class but that's just an example of something I wrote.
Reply 93
Original post by lilpg

Original post by lilpg
are u being serious ..how on earth did u have time to write it all out properly!
i spent like 40 mins on that essay and i totally forgot to write the external factors like material deprivaton etc ...
i wrote becker rist cicorel +kitsuse ..sharpe n green colin lacey rosenthal jacobson ..sugarman gillborn and youdel ...lool so i had no time to write others :s-smilie: ...is marketisation and sugarman ok for the external factors ? ..coz i had no time to write the external too and only rote eval of labelling ..???

You still wrote about alot of people though!
Reply 94
Original post by mangoh
I have no sympathy for people who didn't include gender & ethnicity.

The case study was there for a reason.

I am pretty sure it required you to include all 3.

Afterall it is an assess essay (20 marks), I don't think it would actually be "assess the view that working/middle/upper class" has an impact on achievement because break it down...

all 3 classes has an impact, an assess essay is meant to be for & against... you can't say working class has an impact but middle class doesn't... because thats untrue because they both do. Furthermore it would have said "social class" but it never, it said social group, the word group meant in this case all 3 gender, ethnicity & class. This way you could argue (assess) and say working class has an impact because of material deprivation. However females (gender) has disapproved this idea as they succeed in most GCSE subjects... etc... You are now doing an assess essay instead of trying to attempt to do one by discussing social classes alone.

The word "achievement" means failing/achieving in education... (so I think they wanted underachievement as well as achievement)

I think they wanted you to include all 3... If you've done it wrong, you done it wrong, you can't blame anyone else or tell others that have it right, there wrong.

Overall it was a fantastic question, I wish all questions were like this as it is certainly more interesting.

P.S. The case study was there for a reason, I actually used my initiative and thought what is this question asking? I read the case study and thought ooo... it's a 2 sided debate... assess is 2 sided but I can understand why people picked to talk about social class only as you could say a theorist said this however this theorist criticised that theorist because of... or working class are more likely to fail because of.... (this is more of an examine essay though)

The biggest clue was "social group" instead of "social class"...

the word group pretty much sums it up... it would have most likely been "examine the impact of the different types of social classes on achievement" if the question wanted you specifically to talk about social classes.

i agree with what ur saying ..but i just think the examiners must be really stupid to expect us to write about all 3 ..there is like 30 names between it ..and a lot of evaluation! ..in what 30 mins :s-smilie:
Reply 95
Original post by lilpg

Our teachers tell us to spend an hour on education
Half an hour on the other two.

- the first 2 q's only take a few minutes.
- the functionalist question took around 10/15
- it left a good 40ish minutes for the essay

I wrote very quick haha.. my arm killed afterwards.

Just worried as I didn't have time to mentioned gender so just mentioned it in my conclusion.

- The Grade boundaries have been pretty good for the past few years though.
The lowest I have seen is 59 for an A and the highest about 62..

Lets hope for this again this year :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by Sar17
You still wrote about alot of people though!

lol yhhh i know ..but i didnt get to go on to write about those big external factors..
is marketisation external? that wud be sick if it is ..that can be ma external factors lol
Reply 97
Original post by akemikat
Jeez that means we can lose like 42 marks and still get an A. That's like a whole exam lol..

No to get an A we would only be allowed to lose 30 marks as its 60/90 (depending on the grade boundary) - to lose 42 marks on the paper would be pushing it abit too much me thinks!
Reply 98
Original post by husn
No to get an A we would only be allowed to lose 30 marks as its 60/90 (depending on the grade boundary) - to lose 42 marks on the paper would be pushing it abit too much me thinks!

No but I mean like over all :biggrin:
Because unit 1 is 48/60 for an A
Unit 2 is 60/90 for an A

So so overall that is 42 of the overall 150 (both units) to lose to get an A? I don't know:biggrin:
It felt like it went really well.

So now I'm worried haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending