The Student Room Group

I'm so confused about my life, future, career and love life. Can someone lend advice?

I'm so confused and frustrated at the moment. I'm 22 (nearly 23) and I don't have a clue what I want to do with my life!! One minute I'm set on going back to education, then the next minute I'm not sure about going and wasting 3 more years at the age of 22 (making me around 25/26 when graduated). I want to move out of my parent's home, but at the moment I'm working full time in a dead end job (in a call centre) and It's not a secure enough job for me to be able to move out and live on my own, not to mention that the pay is only average per hour.

I'm just stressing out at the moment because I want to do something with my life, but I don't know what. I was thinking that if I don't go back to education I might become a personal trainer instead, but then everyone is becoming a personal trainer these days, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. I really don't have a clear idea of what I want to do with my future career. As for my love life, well.....That sucks too! I have been single for too long now, that it's making me cranky. I'm not into clubbing every weekend, so instead I usually stay home and save my money for when I may need it.

I know this may sound ridiculous, but without a clear idea of where I want to go in life, I feel embarrassed to date girls. I feel that I'll be judged on why I haven't got a career or why I haven't got an idea of a career etc. So many things are going through my head at the moment and it's driving me crazy!! I have a problem with comparing myself to other people all the time. So for example, I feel that everyone my age knows what they want to do with their life and is working towards that, so I feel like I'm trailing behind because of it. I see people my age with a better car or a really good job and I get envious. I know it sounds stupid, but I always seem to compare myself to other people and that's why my confidence isn't as high as it should be. Some people go out and think "f**k it, whatever happens, happens!" but I'm always analysing or over thinking situations. I worry too much about my future and not enough on the present.

What advice could you give me?? I'm desperate for advice, PLEASE!!!
22/23 is still very young and you have a lot of time to work out what you want to do. So for a start, stop putting so much pressure on yourself!
Loads of people take a while to figure out what they want to do and a lot of other people who thought they knew what they wanted change their minds. It isn't an easy decision working out what you want to commit to for years to come.

As for dating, you will find a lot of women in their 20s who are also unsure of what direction to take in life. It isn't uncommon so you shouldn't let it get in the way of a potential love life.

You definitely won't be the oldest person at university if you start now... and if you are studying something you love and are passionate about, it definitely won't be a waste of 3 years. Especially if it could have a positive influence on the rest of your life. So maybe have a look few some courses that interest you and jobs that they could lead to. It might inspire you :smile:

Also, try and stop comparing yourself to others because all that will do is drive you crazy. You just have to accept, someone will always be richer, more successful, luckier, gifted, or something than you... and being jealous won't improve your life in anyway.

Other than that I'm not sure what to say except good luck :smile:
Original post by Delusional
I'm so confused and frustrated at the moment. I'm 22 (nearly 23) and I don't have a clue what I want to do with my life!! One minute I'm set on going back to education, then the next minute I'm not sure about going and wasting 3 more years at the age of 22 (making me around 25/26 when graduated). I want to move out of my parent's home, but at the moment I'm working full time in a dead end job (in a call centre) and It's not a secure enough job for me to be able to move out and live on my own, not to mention that the pay is only average per hour.

I'm just stressing out at the moment because I want to do something with my life, but I don't know what. I was thinking that if I don't go back to education I might become a personal trainer instead, but then everyone is becoming a personal trainer these days, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. I really don't have a clear idea of what I want to do with my future career. As for my love life, well.....That sucks too! I have been single for too long now, that it's making me cranky. I'm not into clubbing every weekend, so instead I usually stay home and save my money for when I may need it.

I know this may sound ridiculous, but without a clear idea of where I want to go in life, I feel embarrassed to date girls. I feel that I'll be judged on why I haven't got a career or why I haven't got an idea of a career etc. So many things are going through my head at the moment and it's driving me crazy!! I have a problem with comparing myself to other people all the time. So for example, I feel that everyone my age knows what they want to do with their life and is working towards that, so I feel like I'm trailing behind because of it. I see people my age with a better car or a really good job and I get envious. I know it sounds stupid, but I always seem to compare myself to other people and that's why my confidence isn't as high as it should be. Some people go out and think "f**k it, whatever happens, happens!" but I'm always analysing or over thinking situations. I worry too much about my future and not enough on the present.

Seriously was beginning to think I was the only one who felt like this. I'm 20 and feel exactly the same-I can't find work and kind of feel like I have to go uni even though I'm not at all excited at the prospect and I totally hated school. I can't decide what uni course I want to do and don't know what career I want. I constantly compare myself to other people my age-they're all at uni or have started their careers already. I feel like I'm just kind of drifting along tbh.

As for advice I guess just try and stop comparing yourself to everyone else-It's pretty damn difficult though.
Reply 3

I think the key thing to remember is that you are still young and have the chance to do quite a lot with life, its certainly not to late to go into uni education and that might give you a very clear idea of what to do next... or you could just focus on getting a job (which i know is hard in this current time but not impossible) and sticking at that in the short term as a way of making the short term stuff in your life happen.. i think that main thing to remember is that panicing just won't help in this situation... feel free to PM if you think i can be of more help!
Matt
Reply 5

You sound exactly like me...
I'm 23 now and have no clue what I want to do either. I only work part time though so 24 hours.
It is a difficult situation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Follow your heart. :smile: Just do something you really enjoy. And if you don't know what you enjoy, just keep trying out different things until you find something. Keep active! Good luck :smile:
I bet you did alright in the end because the mere fact you were so conscious of the things you wanted to improve on and sort out means that you probably did in the end?I hope you did go on to be the best personal trainer around or at least something else that interested you in the end.Life is full of twists and turns and ideas can change as we get older. I hope life has been good for the past nine years and I'd love to know wether it all worked out fine in the end.I can't believe no-one was able to give you some sort of positive feedback especially as you put Please. Anyway wishing you the best, kind regards Caroline 😃

Latest

Trending

Trending