The Student Room Group

Second year student - what jobs could be suitable for me as an autistic person?

Hiya, I am in my second year of my marketing and management degree which I am thoroughly enjoying so far.

I am having some major anxiety around the prospect of careers in the future and literally don't know what would be good for me as an autistic person- looking for ideas really.

I have a lot of stuff go on in my life so far including during university- family problems, bereavement, severe mental health struggles, hospitalisations and so on and so forth. I feel as though I have actually pulled through and I am on the other side now though. However, I keep looking at my rather dire looking CV full of dread and anxiety. On my CV for work experience (just for reference as to why I am kind of like ahhh not looking good) :
- 4 supermarket jobs which I haven't lasted one for more than 6 months without having education getting in the way or being bullied at work.
- 1 restaurant job which I got fired from and also wasn't in for very long. - Volunteering at a charity shop for a few months for work experience in year 10.
- And a bit of tutoring for a charity.

It goes without saying that this is far from my ideal but it is what it is.

There's a few other stuff on there like being a student rep, some programmes I have done etc... but other than that not great really.

I have gone to like careers advisors and attended CV workshops at my university which haven't been very helpful for me personally (mostly just talk about CV layouts and give career advice that you can probably just google on the prospects website).

I have booked an appointment to get my CV reviewed by someone at the uni in person so that's one thing. Also I have applied for a digital skills course in the summer.

Now-
Really I need a career/career sector that pays the bills (30k-40k a year job is really what I am aiming for) and is doable for me as an autistic person without hitting burnout is the bottom line. I have no idea what this possibly could be is the problem. Does anyone have any personal experience or advice? What could I do to enhance my CV?
Original post by darling-dualism
Hiya, I am in my second year of my marketing and management degree which I am thoroughly enjoying so far.

I am having some major anxiety around the prospect of careers in the future and literally don't know what would be good for me as an autistic person- looking for ideas really.

I have a lot of stuff go on in my life so far including during university- family problems, bereavement, severe mental health struggles, hospitalisations and so on and so forth. I feel as though I have actually pulled through and I am on the other side now though. However, I keep looking at my rather dire looking CV full of dread and anxiety. On my CV for work experience (just for reference as to why I am kind of like ahhh not looking good) :
- 4 supermarket jobs which I haven't lasted one for more than 6 months without having education getting in the way or being bullied at work.
- 1 restaurant job which I got fired from and also wasn't in for very long. - Volunteering at a charity shop for a few months for work experience in year 10.

There's a few other stuff on there like being a student rep, some programmes I have done etc... but other than that not great really.

I have gone to like careers advisors and attended CV workshops at my university which haven't been very helpful for me personally (mostly just talk about CV layouts and give career advice that you can probably just google on the prospects website).

I have booked an appointment to get my CV reviewed by someone at the uni in person so that's one thing. Also I have applied for a digital skills course in the summer.

Now-
Really I need a career/career sector that pays the bills (30k-40k a year job is really what I am aiming for) and is doable for me as an autistic person without hitting burnout is the bottom line. I have no idea what this possibly could be is the problem. Does anyone have any personal experience or advice? What could I do to enhance my CV?

Hey @darling-dualism 👋

Only you can decide what kind of work-life balance you would need after uni, but I'd be inclined to suggest a remote/work from home job if you find in-person interactions quite draining on a daily basis.

It's one of those things that we would love to jump right into the perfect career straight away, but where you mention burnout, this is a very real thing that can hit you when you try to do too much all at once. You could start with a part time job in something like digital marketing and once you've built up some confidence and experience and you get used to working (which is tiring when you're not used to it) then you can look for more of a full time role in a field you're really interested in.

Does your uni offer any advice about internships, or would a placement year be something you could look into?

Temping for an agency is something I've done in the past, as I enjoyed the option to work or not depending on how I was doing at the time. There are certainly pros and cons to this and the uncertainty of not working in the same place / for the same company each time can be a bit jarring if you cope better with a structured routine.

I hope you're able to get some help from your uni and good luck for the rest of second year!

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by darling-dualism

Now-
Hi!
Firstly, well done you show great determination in navigating through challenges, both in your personal and academic life. It's clear that you've overcome significant obstacles, and that speaks volumes about your strength.

Regarding your career concerns, it's completely normal to feel uncertain about the future, especially when dealing with anxiety. As someone with autism myself, I understand the importance of finding a career that aligns with your strengths and accommodates your needs.

Considering your marketing and management degree, you might want to explore careers that leverage your skills and interests. For instance, roles in digital marketing, data analysis, or project management. These fields often offer diverse opportunities and may have room for accommodating different work styles such as hybrid or working-from-home positions.

To enhance your CV, focus on highlighting your accomplishments and skills rather than just listing job experiences and volunteering work.

Since you've booked a CV review and are going to be attending a digital skills course, those steps are excellent for personal development! Additionally, consider seeking out internships, projects, or freelance opportunities in your area. You could even ask your university if they offer any jobs or placements. Networking is also important, make sure to set up a LinkedIn account if you haven’t already!

When it comes to pursuing a career as an autistic person, it's important to find a workplace that values diversity and inclusion. Some companies actively promote neurodiversity and provide supportive environments for individuals with autism. Also, there might be charities in your area that offer support if you need it.

I wish you all the best.

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Reply 3
I recommend you find a job in a kitchen
Reply 4
Original post by gregolego
I recommend you find a job in a kitchen

I worked in the kitchen of a bar and it was a super chill experience. I'm slightly autistic and I could tell some of the other cooks were a bit quirky too. As long as you're a good listener, you're able to follow the head chef's instructions, and you enjoy cooking, you're gonna have a good time. It strongly depends on the attitude of your head chef tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending