The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

3 annoying things:

1. Why didn't Danny Rose appear earlier in the season? Without Hutton we'd be a top 4 side.
2. What the **** was Richard Dunne even attempting when conceding the penalty. ****ing woeful.
3. Shearer believing Mcleish is disliked due to being at Birmingham before :facepalm2:
Reply 1581
He is leaving because they are not renewing his contract, not because he wants to leave. I think he is actually a really gutted.
I would imagine as soon as the new manager is installed they'll offer Cuellar a contract?
Original post by Colbert
I would imagine as soon as the new manager is installed they'll offer Cuellar a contract?

He basically confirmed he's leaving on twitter about 4 hours ago.

Edit: Didn't realise it was a contract thing though. Always thought he should be playing a lot more, and in the centre obviously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by little_wizard123
He basically confirmed he's leaving on twitter about 4 hours ago.

What a farce. Hopefully O'Leary or whoever they bring in will sign him back up but it'll probably be too late by then and he'll be back in Spain :emo:
Reply 1585
I hate to say it, but we are keeping Eck for another season. It pains me so!
I don't really know what we can do in the summer as there is clearly no money to be had. Just a manager who knows how to motivate young players I would imagine, something that Mcleish simply cannot do.

Get me Lambert.
I think McLeish could well be off. He probably won't resign (who'd quit a £2m a year job? He'll never see that kind of pay again) so it'll be a sacking or mutual termination.

I'd settle for having Kev Mac as manager next season, he'd probably have Cowans as his #2 and they'll have the best chance to get the best out of the youngsters (who we cannot fully rely on).

Randy/the board need to sit down with whoever is managing us next season, outline the players who are being paid too much for their ability/input and have them sold. Then have some of the cash bought in via transfer fees and gaps in the wage bill invested in the squad. Simple really.

Carlos Cuellar looks to be off in the summer judging by recent tweets, which is a shame. Paid £8m for him.

I think we need a new winger, a new central midfielder, at least one, if not two full backs and probably a new centre half if Cuellar is on his way, as well as replacing those who leave. I think Collins could well be on his way as well after the nightclub fiasco, seeing as it isn't his first incident of the kind.
Randy Lerner must feel like a complete and utter muppet right now, and that other bloke. A general or something was he?

Villa fans were spot on when they protested his appointment and the longer the season went on, the more right McLeish proved them. Given that this is totally his mistake I think he has to bite the bullet and pay up to get rid of the jock.

Sadly for Villa I think McLeish saw this job as the "jackpot", He'd won silverware and didn't fancy a promotion challenge, when he saw Martinez turn you down he saw the ££ signs and knew he couldn't lose. Succeed and he would be loved by Villa fans who could rub blues fans noses in it, or fail and he gets a huge pay off. His greed has hopefully cost him his long term career.

If not the apathy around your club will destroy it and you'll have an even bigger situation than Blackburn have had this season. Just got to hope you can afford the pay-off unlike Blackburn.

Shearer's comments don't surprise me, what these so called pundits know of Midlands football is read from equally uneducated journos who are peeved off they've had to leave London for a day to report on a team in the second city. Clueless the lot of them.
Reply 1589
Original post by original_username
Randy Lerner must feel like a complete and utter muppet right now, and that other bloke. A general or something was he?

Paul Faulkner is the other accountable party. Also a ginger.
Original post by original_username

Villa fans were spot on when they protested his appointment and the longer the season went on, the more right McLeish proved them. Given that this is totally his mistake I think he has to bite the bullet and pay up to get rid of the jock.

Sadly for Villa I think McLeish saw this job as the "jackpot", He'd won silverware and didn't fancy a promotion challenge, when he saw Martinez turn you down he saw the ££ signs and knew he couldn't lose. Succeed and he would be loved by Villa fans who could rub blues fans noses in it, or fail and he gets a huge pay off. His greed has hopefully cost him his long term career.

If not the apathy around your club will destroy it and you'll have an even bigger situation than Blackburn have had this season. Just got to hope you can afford the pay-off unlike Blackburn.

Shearer's comments don't surprise me, what these so called pundits know of Midlands football is read from equally uneducated journos who are peeved off they've had to leave London for a day to report on a team in the second city. Clueless the lot of them.

Agree with all of this.
It's Randy Lerner, General Charles Krulak and Paul Faulkner. I don't think any of them know anything about football. They need a football brain on the board. Heck, even Stan Collymore would do!

I don't blame Eck for taking the job at £2m a year, but it hasn't worked, he's failed miserably and he's got to go. I can't see him seeing anywhere near £2m p/a ever again.

If he doesn't go this summer we'll do a Blackburn next season. Guarantee it.

Shearer is right tool, as are most of the pundits the BBC employ. His comments made me quite angry. If he'd have done ANY research he'd know McLeish has led us to our worst home record in top flight football EVER, and wasn't remotely close to second last either. Here's an interesting table: link to a tweet of mine containing image
Sick of Hanson and Lawro as well, I usually watch FootballFirst on SkySports and just catch an hour of the Villa highlights.
Even Heskey's jumping ship. Jesus H. Christ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17985504
Original post by Colonel.
Even Heskey's jumping ship. Jesus H. Christ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17985504

He's on £60k p/w.

Still surprised?
Reply 1593
I'm glad we're not renewing his contract!
Heskey has apparently scored 15 goals for us :holmes:
Original post by little_wizard123
Heskey has apparently scored 15 goals for us :holmes:

He managed more in just 2 seasons for us. He hasn't hit double figures in a season since 2004/5 yet somehow wrangled a 60k a week salary :eek: MADNESS
Reply 1596
Who is going to Norwich? It's going to be King Carlos day :h: And to a much much lesser extent, maybe a little bit Heskey day too. Perhaps Guzan too.
Reply 1597
We deserve a win on Sunday. It is the least the club can do for everybody after such an appualing season.

I can see Holt going crazy infront of goal though.
McLeish gone :holmes:

Enjoy your money, you won't be getting a decent job now.

Apparently. Could just be twitter *******s.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest