The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Divergent trilogy is amazing! Did you see the film?!

I liked it a lot on my first read through, but since tried to re-read for the last book and it didn't catch me at all. Strange, because I normally love re-reading books.
Original post by Hanvyj
I liked it a lot on my first read through, but since tried to re-read for the last book and it didn't catch me at all. Strange, because I normally love re-reading books.

Yeah the last book has come under a lot of fire. I think it doesn't work as a standalone book and because of the ending not sure if it would be same on second read.
Yeah the last book has come under a lot of fire. I think it doesn't work as a standalone book and because of the ending not sure if it would be same on second read.

I didn't even get that far! I kept putting down the first one and eventually gave up.

I did notice it got a lot of bad press, though I'm not sure exactly why. I think people get very invested in these series and frustrated if the author doesn't take it the way they want.
Original post by Hanvyj
I didn't even get that far! I kept putting down the first one and eventually gave up.

I did notice it got a lot of bad press, though I'm not sure exactly why. I think people get very invested in these series and frustrated if the author doesn't take it the way they want.

I think it is partly that, but also partly the third book seems a little bit out of joint with the aims of the other books and stuff. Personally that didn't bother me as made sense but there we go.

Also she switched from writing in just one viewpoint to writing in two which I'm not sure worked as there wasn't enough differentiation in voice between viewpoints.
I think it is partly that, but also partly the third book seems a little bit out of joint with the aims of the other books and stuff. Personally that didn't bother me as made sense but there we go.

Also she switched from writing in just one viewpoint to writing in two which I'm not sure worked as there wasn't enough differentiation in voice between viewpoints.

Was it first person? I'm sure it was. I've never written in two POVs with first person, I imagine it's even more difficult than third - which is tough enough.

That reminds me, I'd also started writing between the first read through and the second, I think it changes the way you read and can ruin the immersion sometimes when you've got a bit of a writer's hat on...
Original post by Hanvyj
Was it first person? I'm sure it was. I've never written in two POVs with first person, I imagine it's even more difficult than third - which is tough enough.

That reminds me, I'd also started writing between the first read through and the second, I think it changes the way you read and can ruin the immersion sometimes when you've got a bit of a writer's hat on...

Yes it was first person, so having two first persons with not different sounding voices really didn't work!

And yeah I get that problem a lot too, constantly nitpicking lol
The Hundred Year Old man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared and Edgar Allan Poe's Selected Poems :bigsmile:
Reading a couple of things at the minute:

Filling a gap in my list of read books with Romeo and Juliet, and then also reading The Blinding Knife.
Never let me go- its rather depressing
Original post by Paul McCartney
Animal Farm - George Orwell

Have you read 1984?
The woman who went to bed for a year - Sue Townsend

About half way through and I'm not sure how i feel about it. I will finish it though! I hate leaving a book half finished :smile:
The Gamal.
My current list:

Moby-Dick
The Evolution of Physics
Economics in One Lesson
Gulliver's Travels

Posted from TSR Mobile
To kill a mocking bird. Always dismissed this but thought id give it a try and its fantastic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5994
Star Wars: The Empire Striketh Back

It's as corny as it sounds :P
The fault in our stars. According to my friend I'll cry. Half way and nothing yet!
Original post by Keelhaul
The fault in our stars. According to my friend I'll cry. Half way and nothing yet!

That's one of the most recent books I've read. It's good but not as brilliant as everyone says! I thought I was going to cry but nothing :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
That One After A Storm of Swords

:colondollar:
Original post by Jellybeany
That's one of the most recent books I've read. It's good but not as brilliant as everyone says! I thought I was going to cry but nothing :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo :/ lol going to read it this summer since everyone recommends it to me and i want ti read it before the movie. Not going to have high expectations so i don't get disappointed

Posted from TSR Mobile
The little friend by donna tartt - amazingly well written - took her 10 years!

Just finished the road back sequel to "All quiet on the Western Front" 2 excellent reads what with the 1st world war centenary going on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending