The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Alexandra's Box
About to start 'The Bell Jar'...
There is so much talk about it that I thought I'd better give it a go!

Original post by Lomo_gurl
The Help! it's so good! :biggrin:

Great books, hope you enjoy them. :smile: Have you seen the movie The Help? Not as good as the book obviously, but I decided to watch it after reading the book and found that the character Minny was exactly as I'd imagined her to be.

I'm a few chapters into The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's living up to its reputation so far, such a lovely story.
Reply 1781
Keeping faith by Jodi Picoult, feel very unintellectual compared to what some of you are reading! :wink:
I just re-read The Hunger Games - love that book!

I also started reading Dracula but I haven't been able to go beyond about fifteen pages because of stupid work. I hate it when homework/coursework/exam revision gets between me and curling up on the sofa with a good book.
Original post by Angury
Great books, hope you enjoy them. :smile: Have you seen the movie The Help? Not as good as the book obviously, but I decided to watch it after reading the book and found that the character Minny was exactly as I'd imagined her to be.

I'm a few chapters into The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's living up to its reputation so far, such a lovely story.

We just bought 'The Help' too and I'm interested about 'TTTW'... though some moron blurted out what happens a couple of summers back. :grr:
Will investigate them! :smile:
Reply 1784
We just bought 'The Help' too and I'm interested about 'TTTW'... though some moron blurted out what happens a couple of summers back. :grr:
Will investigate them! :smile:

TTTW is excellent. Even if you already know what happens, it's still nice to read the book and follow the characters journey.
I know the feeling of having a book ruined. I watched the trailer of the Game of Thrones series on youtube, and accidently scrolled down, where someone had posted a comment with a spoiler about one of the characters. To be fair it was my fault for reading the comment, but I'm more careful now.

Well, compared to other movies which have been adapted from books, it's actually pretty good. Viola Davis is fantastic as Aibleen, and although there are some scenes that are not included from the book (which is to be expected), the movie sticks to the main story. I also felt that most of the characters were pretty much as I'd imagined them to be. That's just my view though, I know a few people who weren't very happy about the way the movie turned out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Angury
TTTW is excellent. Even if you already know what happens, it's still nice to read the book and follow the characters journey.
I know the feeling of having a book ruined. I watched the trailer of the Game of Thrones series on youtube, and accidently scrolled down, where someone had posted a comment with a spoiler about one of the characters. To be fair it was my fault for reading the comment, but I'm more careful now.

The worst incident like that was when I had 'Noughts and Crosses' at school in Year 7 and some Y11 boy (he'd be in his 2nd year of uni now - oh my gosh!) shouted out the ending!
(DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!)

Spoiler

:sadnod:

I'll try TTTW anyway:biggrin:
Reply 1786
The worst incident like that was when I had 'Noughts and Crosses' at school in Year 7 and some Y11 boy (he'd be in his 2nd year of uni now - oh my gosh!) shouted out the ending!
(DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!)

Spoiler

:sadnod:

I'll try TTTW anyway:biggrin:

Spoiler

I do kind of feel sorry for people who may only just have started reading the Harry Potter series, and yet already knows which characters die etc, because it's such a popular story. They'll never have the excitement of opening the last book eagerly on the day of release and spending hours locked in a room with it.. not that I did that. >.>
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

I do kind of feel sorry for people who may only just have started reading the Harry Potter series, and yet already knows which characters die etc, because it's such a popular story. They'll never have the excitement of opening the last book eagerly on the day of release and spending hours locked in a room with it.. not that I did that. >.>

It was shocking... :frown:
And I'm so glad that I read HP before I saw it!
I went and queued outside WHSmith at midnight :colondollar: Tried to start reading in the car but failed - too dark.
Can't believe that it was so long ago!
Reply 1788
About halfway through Smiley's People now.
I'm currently reading 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury. It's pretty good; very thought-provoking. The idea of burning books is scary, but the whole concept of it works so well and really makes all book lovers think really deeply. Anyone else ever read it?
Original post by Dougieowner
I'm currently reading 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury. It's pretty good; very thought-provoking. The idea of burning books is scary, but the whole concept of it works so well and really makes all book lovers think really deeply. Anyone else ever read it?

I compared it with 1984 for my A2 Literature coursework! Looked at the effect of the totalitarian state on the human psyche. I found the concepts Bradbury looked at really interesting, but didn't find the book particularly inspiring as a whole. I read it, and enjoyed it... but wouldn't read it again.

Find it really funny that the book deals with, essentially, issues of censorship and the book was banned xD
Currently reading a Led Zeppelin biography called 'When Giants Walked the Earth' Provides good information about their albums and tours, but I skipped a chapter because it was all about the occult and had nothing to do with Led Zeppelin, hopefully the first and last time I skip a chapter. After that, I will carry on reading 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' which is a good read :smile:.
Original post by beffnee
I compared it with 1984 for my A2 Literature coursework! Looked at the effect of the totalitarian state on the human psyche. I found the concepts Bradbury looked at really interesting, but didn't find the book particularly inspiring as a whole. I read it, and enjoyed it... but wouldn't read it again.

Find it really funny that the book deals with, essentially, issues of censorship and the book was banned xD

It's an A2 level novel? Awesome! I know what you mean by inspiration as a whole and I'd probably agree. Whilst I love the ideas and they're enjoyable, it's probably not going to get me to re-read it or rave about it. :L
It's an A2 level novel? Awesome! I know what you mean by inspiration as a whole and I'd probably agree. Whilst I love the ideas and they're enjoyable, it's probably not going to get me to re-read it or rave about it. :L

I don't know what level it is, we were asked to pick any two novels of our choice to compare. They were just the two that I chose rather than something off a syllabus. I would think it is lower than A2 level, but honestly have no idea what constitutes a GCSE/AS/A2 level novel etc.

The book has stuck by me though! So I suppose that says something about it.
Reply 1794
The Tent, the Bucket and Me - Emma Kennedy

About family holidays mishaps in the 1970s. I haven't sold it very well ¬_¬ but its hilarious.

Radio 4 have just broadcast a drama version
of Fahrenheit 451... it is on iplayer for a week
Just started The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. Looking forward to it having read some excellent reviews :smile:
Just about to start reading 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks.
am halfway through Tim Moore's hilarious travelogue Continental Drifter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending