The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
There has been a bit in the press about the amount of people who lie on their CVs so maybe as a Law firm they wanted to make sure there was no funny business going on.

Is it a multi national firm?
Having done pre-employment screening with regards to corporate fraud investigation - you get checked as far as deemed necessary. 10 years is considered enough in most cases.

I'm surprised you had to dish out certificates at all to be honest. Certificates can be 'done up'. Much better to get records from the academic institution or better yet (but £50 more each one checked plus fee of labour) the exam board.
S_Dimelow
There has been a bit in the press about the amount of people who lie on their CVs so maybe as a Law firm they wanted to make sure there was no funny business going on.

Is it a multi national firm?

Its a top 20 national UK firm. :smile:

--------------

President_Ben
Having done pre-employment screening with regards to corporate fraud investigation - you get checked as far as deemed necessary. 10 years is considered enough in most cases.

I'm surprised you had to dish out certificates at all to be honest. Certificates can be 'done up'. Much better to get records from the academic institution or better yet (but £50 more each one checked plus fee of labour) the exam board.

I've never heard of this before :eek:
I was surprised they asked for GCSE ... but I promise you that none of my certificates are `done up` lol :rolleyes:
ellewoods

I've never heard of this before :eek:
I was surprised they asked for GCSE ... but I promise you that none of my certificates are `done up` lol :rolleyes:

Well, point being, it's very odd to be asked for certificates because they can be done up. Bear in mind, these reports we produced got sent to HR departments and I doubt they were ever that careful in going through the reports (unless it was a senior level hire).
Reply 44
ellewoods
Its a top 20 national UK firm. :smile:

--------------

I wonder how much it varies between the size of firm.I would presume Eversheds and the like would want every bit of information and certificate they could get but would the regional firms or smaller want this, or just trust you and that they had made a good choice?

As with everything it probably just depends on the preference of those in charge..
ellewoods
Did someone imply you have / should lie??!! :eek: Or are you just making a point??

Nobody asked for certificates for vac schemes for experience, but for my TC, I had to send in all my exam certificates - I didnt send GCSE because they didnt specify which exams, and I assumed A-Level would be far enough back, but I got another letter saying I had to send my GCSE certificates before I would get a confirmed offer!!!! :eek:

Making a point, I suppose if they are checking all, GCSE certificates are really important. Yes you could fake certificates, but then we are talking serious fraud. Good luck to any daft idoit who fakes a LLC certificate LOL :biggrin:
President_Ben
Well, point being, it's very odd to be asked for certificates because they can be done up. Bear in mind, these reports we produced got sent to HR departments and I doubt they were ever that careful in going through the reports (unless it was a senior level hire).

I don't know :confused:

All I know is they wanted my certificates and proceeded to offer me a great job with a great firm :wink: Suits me just fine! :biggrin:
ellewoods
I don't know :confused:

I suspect laziness/cost cutting to avoid using a specific pre-employment screening group.

In fairness, a decent* group to do a screening will cost over £100 a person depending on quality and depth.

*decent means hiring intelligent people rather than a bunch of people who can barely manage a few GCSEs. You'd be surprised how shoddy some of the services out there are...
oh well thanks President Ben. Whilst I genuinely would not dream of cheating, some of them deserve it.
Reply 49
Perhaps we should just all be branded with our GCSE and A level grades on Results day?
Dreama
Perhaps we should just all be branded with our GCSE and A level grades on Results day?

lol :biggrin:

President Ben, am I interpreting your posts incorrectly or are you implying my training contract is with a shoddy organisation....?? :rolleyes:
Dreama

Yer just like the 'slave trade.' Perhaps the forehead
ellewoods
lol :biggrin:

President Ben, am I interpreting your posts incorrectly or are you implying my training contract is with a shoddy organisation....?? :rolleyes:

I'm saying they are cutting corners.

In IT, about 30% of CVs have a significant lie on them. 25% for consultancy. 12% for finance. 8% for pharmaceuticals.

Roughly an eight of CVs with significant lies would feature enough to seriously question future employment. I didn't ever cover any law firms.

75% of the fraud a company will face is due to their employees being very naughty boys and girls. It is serious stuff you know. The kind of things I uncovered on the job were :eek: From people who had engaged of millions of fraud under previous identities, a variety of crimes under different ones, creating fake companies to hide debts or create work experience...

I'm just saying certificates are a very dodgy way of checking grades and it is much better to use several third party sources. Ideally, you pay £50 to each of the exam boards to get the records from them. Law is really competitive, people will go to all sorts of lengths to get a TC (or more).
I know about lies. I hated one of our lecturers who left my uni. On his new staff online CV he lies about co-ordinating a mooting and a negotiation competition that I arranged as a member of the law society. I can honestly say he judged one round and did nothing of the sort. Daft git, I'd inform on him, but a doubt they'd care as he has a first HE HE :biggrin:
Reply 54
LauraWalker
Yer just like the 'slave trade.' Perhaps the forehead

I might try it with a temporary tattoo before I take the plunge :wink:
President_Ben
I'm saying they are cutting corners.

In IT, about 30% of CVs have a significant lie on them. 25% for consultancy. 12% for finance. 8% for pharmaceuticals.

Roughly an eight of CVs with significant lies would feature enough to seriously question future employment. I didn't ever cover any law firms.

75% of the fraud a company will face is due to their employees being very naughty boys and girls. It is serious stuff you know. The kind of things I uncovered on the job were :eek: From people who had engaged of millions of fraud under previous identities, a variety of crimes under different ones, creating fake companies to hide debts or create work experience...

I'm just saying certificates are a very dodgy way of checking grades and it is much better to use several third party sources. Ideally, you pay £50 to each of the exam boards to get the records from them. Law is really competitive, people will go to all sorts of lengths to get a TC (or more).

Point taken.

However it is an excellent firm and Im thrilled to be joining it :smile:

Maybe they check everyone else but decided to save their 50 quid and trust me because they decided I was such an excellent trustworthy sort during my vac scheme :wink: lol

Latest

Trending

Trending