The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by laura.a.c265
Hey Sasa,

I am in the exact same position as you. GTP is so hard to get onto, and I'm giving up a well paying career to teach. I have a 9 year old to think about too, so PGCE would be a nightmare.

Luckily for me though I would like to defer to 2013 if I get an offer because I still have 18 months on my current contract.

I think it may be best to hang out till 2013...28 isn't old!!

Laura

Thanks Laura! It's hard isnt it? I'll be giving up a well paid job too and with a baby due in december our little one will only be very small when I'm re-training so definitely can't afford so do anything unpaid!

and don't worry if you havent heard yet - I only heard today and my AC was last week - still plenty of time for you to hear back! Fingers crossed for you :smile: xx
Reply 381
Original post by Becca
I'll cross my fingers for you then!
I finished my placement in 2010, I'm from the '08 cohort :cool:

oh cool! are you still teaching? how did you find it? did you have lots of behavioural issues in your school? sorry lots of questions!!
Reply 382
Original post by Sasa83
oh cool! are you still teaching? how did you find it? did you have lots of behavioural issues in your school? sorry lots of questions!!

Yes, still teaching but I've relocated to Norway! And now I'm teaching primary rather than secondary! My school did have a lot of behavioural issues, yeah and I found it very very hard to deal with at first, but in my 2nd year I definitely got a better grip on it! Questions are fine, I like trying to help!
Original post by Becca
The commute was awful! 1.5hours one way on the bus! I moved to Great Barr in my 2nd year and cut that down to 30mins so that was much better. Wouldn't recommend living in Brum and working in Walsall unless you have a car!
The best part...probably came in my 2nd year when I was delivering lessons rated outstanding by the same people who rated me unsatisfactory the previous year! Seems a bit egotistical, but as cheesy as it sounds, the 2 years were a massive personal journey for me. The worts bits...feeling like a failure until about March/April in my first year. Crying all the time, the lack of sleep...I could go on!
I'm still teaching (I love it) but I work in a primary school in Norway now, so it's a little different from secondary in Walsall!

Is this you: http://www.teachfirst.org.uk/TFNews/BlogpostcomparingtheeducationsystemsintheUKandNorwaybyTeachFirstambassadorRebeccaTiffin28180.aspx ?? Like the massive geek that I am, I read all the news bulletins before my interview... I found that one particularly interesting, especially as I am currently working at a Swiss school (for autistic children and young adults).

The first year sounds scary!! It must be hard being thrown in at the deep end... Do the mentors and LDO give you a lot of feedback? I originally applied for English and was initially upset that it had filled up, but now I'm thinking that the fact I got Primary might be for the best - if only because, as others have mentioned, younger/smaller children *might* be less daunting... But also because I quite like the idea of catching them while they're young - especially after reading on the Teach First website about how the odds of children improving their literacy and numeracy levels worsen as they get further beyond age 7.
Original post by Sasa83

Original post by Sasa83
Thanks Laura! It's hard isnt it? I'll be giving up a well paid job too and with a baby due in december our little one will only be very small when I'm re-training so definitely can't afford so do anything unpaid!

and don't worry if you havent heard yet - I only heard today and my AC was last week - still plenty of time for you to hear back! Fingers crossed for you :smile: xx

Hi Laura, Sasa

Im deferring to 2013 too!! Got a place on the 2012 programme & then very unexpectedly myself & my husband fell pregnant with our first child who is due in March! Its nice to know that there are others on the programme with young children too. Which subject areas are you hoping to teach & also which areas of the country would you prefer?

Kim xxx
Reply 385
Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin
Is this you: http://www.teachfirst.org.uk/TFNews/BlogpostcomparingtheeducationsystemsintheUKandNorwaybyTeachFirstambassadorRebeccaTiffin28180.aspx ?? Like the massive geek that I am, I read all the news bulletins before my interview... I found that one particularly interesting, especially as I am currently working at a Swiss school (for autistic children and young adults).

The first year sounds scary!! It must be hard being thrown in at the deep end... Do the mentors and LDO give you a lot of feedback? I originally applied for English and was initially upset that it had filled up, but now I'm thinking that the fact I got Primary might be for the best - if only because, as others have mentioned, younger/smaller children *might* be less daunting... But also because I quite like the idea of catching them while they're young - especially after reading on the Teach First website about how the odds of children improving their literacy and numeracy levels worsen as they get further beyond age 7.

Wow lol yeah that's me! Had no idea that was even up yet! The lady said she'd email me when she added it. It's a bit crap, was hard to say everything I wanted to in 250 words lol! Glad you found it a bit interesting at least!

I got a LOT of feedback. Actually too much for me personally to process. It was probably a negative for me that my professional mentor was also my HoD so both my mentors were in my dept. I reckon if I could go back I'd do primary instead, in hindsight. I LOVE my job working with small kids now. It's definitely a lot more joyful!
Reply 386
Well thats fantastic... i can't apply because i have only one science. I really don't understand why they need 2 sciences at A-level.
I was really interested, im aiming towards post compulsory teaching of a biological subject, guess il just go on a regular PGCE course at my uni then.
Reply 387
Original post by Wild_Kim86
Hi Laura, Sasa

Im deferring to 2013 too!! Got a place on the 2012 programme & then very unexpectedly myself & my husband fell pregnant with our first child who is due in March! Its nice to know that there are others on the programme with young children too. Which subject areas are you hoping to teach & also which areas of the country would you prefer?

Kim xxx

oo congratulations Kim! I'm pregnant now due in dec :smile: would still prefer to do 2012 though as baby will be 6 months by then and I'll need to get back into work. We live in London so I would really need to stay here - they said that should be fine though as we have special circumstances so are more likely to get first choice. where would you want to go regionally?? It is really good to know there are others doing this who have families and are making career changes too! xx
Hi Laura, Sasa

Kim xxx

Hey Kim,

My daughter is 9, but she will be 11 and about to start secondary school herself if I get onto the programme for 2013! I spoke to recruitment about my situation, because obviously I will have to buy a new house and find her a school so I will need good notice of my region and they said in the circumstances it shouldn't be an issue (no promises though!).

I want to teach RE and they only place in London and the W.Mids at the moment, and as the W.Mids in my first choice, fingers crossed that'll be ok!

What about you?

Laura
Original post by Sasa83
oo congratulations Kim! I'm pregnant now due in dec :smile: would still prefer to do 2012 though as baby will be 6 months by then and I'll need to get back into work. We live in London so I would really need to stay here - they said that should be fine though as we have special circumstances so are more likely to get first choice. where would you want to go regionally?? It is really good to know there are others doing this who have families and are making career changes too! xx

Thanks :smile: It was a huge shock at first because I'd been watching TeachFirst since about January waiting for the 2012 applications & then i found out i was pregnant about 2 weeks after Id been offered my place. Initially I was pretty upset but now I know i can do both, myself & my husband are both really pleased. Ill be almost 26 when baby is due & then 27 when I start TeachFirst. Id considered still going on the 2012 cohort but decided it in the end. You'll have to keep in touch & let me know how it all goes because like I said its nice to know someone is doing it with a baby too. Well I currently live in Manchester but Im going to move back to the East Mids when baby is born to we're closer to our family so Im hoping to be put in the East Mids region but as you said fingers crossed special circumstances should mean that this will be no problem :smile: xxx
Hey Kim,

My daughter is 9, but she will be 11 and about to start secondary school herself if I get onto the programme for 2013! I spoke to recruitment about my situation, because obviously I will have to buy a new house and find her a school so I will need good notice of my region and they said in the circumstances it shouldn't be an issue (no promises though!).

I want to teach RE and they only place in London and the W.Mids at the moment, and as the W.Mids in my first choice, fingers crossed that'll be ok!

What about you?

Laura

Well if you get on then definitely fingers crossed for the West Mids then, its looking in your favour if there are only two areas which offer that subject. I want to be doing primary in the East Mids & again because Id be relocating from Manchester when the baby is born to be closer to where my family are, Id like quite a bit of notice too.
I hope you get on, we're likely to meet at the Summer Institute in that case! xxx
Well if you get on then definitely fingers crossed for the West Mids then, its looking in your favour if there are only two areas which offer that subject. I want to be doing primary in the East Mids & again because Id be relocating from Manchester when the baby is born to be closer to where my family are, Id like quite a bit of notice too.
I hope you get on, we're likely to meet at the Summer Institute in that case! xxx

Yeah fingers crossed...not enjoying the waiting!! If i didn't get it this time I will apply again next June, so hopefully I will still end up at the 2013 SI. It would be nice to know some people beforehand, especially as we will be away from our kids for the 6 weeks.

My family are in the W.Mids which is exactly why I would like to be placed there...the extra support would be a huge help. I'm in Cumbria at the moment and it's hard juggling full time work and motherhood with no family nearby :frown:
Reply 392
it's hard juggling full time work and motherhood with no family nearby :frown:

agreed! we really dont have much of a support network at all - going ot be very tough!

Kim - just out of interest - what is your degree in? I wanted to do primary but they said I cn't with an English degree :frown:
It's been a week since my offer and still no SKA... I hope it comes soon because next week term restarts properly and I'm going to be crazy busy!
Original post by Sasa83

Kim - just out of interest - what is your degree in? I wanted to do primary but they said I cn't with an English degree :frown:

My degree is in French and German. I was told by Teach First that originally primary teaching was only reserved for language graduates - dont know why & then gradually this has opened up to other subjects.
Given as English is pretty key in primary teaching, I find it really surprising that you cant with this degree. xxx
Yeah fingers crossed...not enjoying the waiting!! If i didn't get it this time I will apply again next June, so hopefully I will still end up at the 2013 SI. It would be nice to know some people beforehand, especially as we will be away from our kids for the 6 weeks.

My family are in the W.Mids which is exactly why I would like to be placed there...the extra support would be a huge help. I'm in Cumbria at the moment and it's hard juggling full time work and motherhood with no family nearby :frown:

I know, its going to be very strange being away from our families for 6 weeks. Definitely not looking forward to that aspect of it but I suppose in terms of the bigger picture, it has to be done.
Yeah i can imagine how difficult it is without family nearby. When I fell we realised that moving back to Lincoln with me potentially doing TeachFirst in the EastMids (hopefully Nottingham!) would really be the only way we could manage it. I think support of family while doing Teach First with a child is going to take some pressure off definitely. xxxxx
Was anyone else at the AC on Mon 24th?
Original post by Becca
Wow lol yeah that's me! Had no idea that was even up yet! The lady said she'd email me when she added it. It's a bit crap, was hard to say everything I wanted to in 250 words lol! Glad you found it a bit interesting at least!

I got a LOT of feedback. Actually too much for me personally to process. It was probably a negative for me that my professional mentor was also my HoD so both my mentors were in my dept. I reckon if I could go back I'd do primary instead, in hindsight. I LOVE my job working with small kids now. It's definitely a lot more joyful!

I imagine it must have been tricky compressing it all into 250 words but I didn't think it was crap at all - made for a very interesting read! How long do you plan to stay in Norway for? & what exact age group are you working with? I'm glad you're enjoying it so much!

It definitely sounds like a difficult time. I guess I'll just have to spend the first year continually reminding myself that it's the same for everyone!

--

So, my SKA has arrived. Hoping that if it does go wrong they'll let me try for English 2013 instead... There's so much to watch and read, especially as I need to read up on every single subject offered at Primary level :s-smilie: On the up side, at least I've got the weekend, and having just watched the recommended videos for question 1 I feel so inspired - Ken Robinson is a god...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 398
Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin
I imagine it must have been tricky compressing it all into 250 words but I didn't think it was crap at all - made for a very interesting read! How long do you plan to stay in Norway for? & what exact age group are you working with? I'm glad you're enjoying it so much!

It definitely sounds like a difficult time. I guess I'll just have to spend the first year continually reminding myself that it's the same for everyone!

--

So, my SKA has arrived. Hoping that if it does go wrong they'll let me try for English 2013 instead... There's so much to watch and read, especially as I need to read up on every single subject offered at Primary level :s-smilie: On the up side, at least I've got the weekend, and having just watched the recommended videos for question 1 I feel so inspired - Ken Robinson is a god...

Glad you liked it! I am here for the forseeable, shacked up with someone, you see :p: My year group are nearly all 7, they will turn 8 next year. In Norway they don't run the school age thing from September to August like in the UK, but from January - December, so all the kids in my year were born in 2004.

Good luck with the SKA. It's not too hard, it's just quite a lot of reading. My tip is don't be afraid to just do bullet points!
Didn't get in :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending