The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going to the assessment day on the 19th of July in London?
Hi all,

I've just started working on my application. I find the competency questions super hard.

Do you think that getting in to teach sciences or maths is a bit less competitive than history/English/primary etc?

I know that my academic credentials are good enough, I've got a first from a UK university and my A-level equivalents are good. I went to school outside of the UK though, hopefully that won't affect my chances...

I really want to work in teaching or policy and think that Teach First would allow me to keep both options open.

I'm just really worried they'd think I'm unsuitable as I'm currently two years into my PhD, which I've decided to quit and to write up as an MPhil. Soon after I started I totally knew that research wasn't for me, but it has really taken me a lot of time and courage to admit and acknowledge that and to decide to quit. It's kind of scary leaving my "comfort zone" (academia/lab) and I feel totally guilty about it. I hope they're understanding about people who want a career change at Teach First.

When I was an undergraduate all of my work experience was always just in research as I thought that's what I wanted to do. I've done some science outreach and public engagement work with kids but outside of that I feel like I have very little experience compared to everyone. :frown:

I'm also worried that the answers I'm thinking of writing down for the questions might be a little bit too personal rather than straight from workplace. Especially for the resilience one I'm tempted to write about the harshest adversity I ever faced, but that was super personal! Basically me and my husband both graduated at the same time, but just as the last semester of our undergrads started he got very seriously ill, was hospitalized for long periods of time and then my father-in-law passed away on top of that. So I had to juggle between supporting my husband, his family, writing up my dissertation, attending lectures, studying for finals and also helping my husband with his academic stuff...

Can anyone help me whether that would be suitable to use at all?

xx
Reply 682
I've been emailed the SKA for English - help!!!
Reply 683
Original post by string_bean_jean
Hi all,

I've just started working on my application. I find the competency questions super hard.

Do you think that getting in to teach sciences or maths is a bit less competitive than history/English/primary etc?

I know that my academic credentials are good enough, I've got a first from a UK university and my A-level equivalents are good. I went to school outside of the UK though, hopefully that won't affect my chances...

I really want to work in teaching or policy and think that Teach First would allow me to keep both options open.

I'm just really worried they'd think I'm unsuitable as I'm currently two years into my PhD, which I've decided to quit and to write up as an MPhil. Soon after I started I totally knew that research wasn't for me, but it has really taken me a lot of time and courage to admit and acknowledge that and to decide to quit. It's kind of scary leaving my "comfort zone" (academia/lab) and I feel totally guilty about it. I hope they're understanding about people who want a career change at Teach First.

When I was an undergraduate all of my work experience was always just in research as I thought that's what I wanted to do. I've done some science outreach and public engagement work with kids but outside of that I feel like I have very little experience compared to everyone. :frown:

I'm also worried that the answers I'm thinking of writing down for the questions might be a little bit too personal rather than straight from workplace. Especially for the resilience one I'm tempted to write about the harshest adversity I ever faced, but that was super personal! Basically me and my husband both graduated at the same time, but just as the last semester of our undergrads started he got very seriously ill, was hospitalized for long periods of time and then my father-in-law passed away on top of that. So I had to juggle between supporting my husband, his family, writing up my dissertation, attending lectures, studying for finals and also helping my husband with his academic stuff...

xx

I'll try and answer your queries as best I can :smile:

First, it doesn't matter what subject you apply for, if you meet their criteria they will offer you a place. Equally, if you don't meet the criteria you won't get a place, even if you're eligible for an in-demand subject like Maths. You just have to apply early enough if you want to teach a smaller subject.

I know someone who quit a PhD to do TF so I think they are sympathetic to that. In fact people quit all kinds of jobs to join the scheme so I wouldn't worry.

Use personal examples on your application. IMO stuff like that has a lot of use in teaching. In my interview I talked about my year abroad being very difficult.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Becca

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for replying! I think that every piece of advice is helpful!

I have to say that I really wish there was an equivalent of personal statement helpers for TF application! :biggrin:

I'm sure I will be back for more advice. Am cleaning my flat and brainstorming ideas atm. It's funny how after a little bit of thinking at least some things are starting to come to my mind!

How was your TF experience like? What was best about it and what was the worst?
Hi all,

xx

I just got through to an assesment centre on the 24th. In my example I didnt use personal examples but the recruiter I met said that was fine. The one thing i was told to avoid is mentioning exams/driving tests/obvious examples. So if it was a choice between mentioning something academic vs something personal I would choose personal. As long as you show the ability to reflect and learn from the experience, no matter what it was, I think thats what they look for. Make sure you speak to/meet a recruiter before you send off your application too. They are really helpful!! Also a lack of teaching expereince doesnt matter. Mention the outreach work for sure, maybe as an example of "working with people who are different to yourself". Try an include as much "non-academic" stuff as possible.

All the best!!
Original post by fancyflight16
I just got through to an assesment centre on the 24th. In my example I didnt use personal examples but the recruiter I met said that was fine. The one thing i was told to avoid is mentioning exams/driving tests/obvious examples. So if it was a choice between mentioning something academic vs something personal I would choose personal. As long as you show the ability to reflect and learn from the experience, no matter what it was, I think thats what they look for. Make sure you speak to/meet a recruiter before you send off your application too. They are really helpful!! Also a lack of teaching expereince doesnt matter. Mention the outreach work for sure, maybe as an example of "working with people who are different to yourself". Try an include as much "non-academic" stuff as possible.

All the best!!

Hey,

Congratulations on getting to the AC!

Thank you so much for your reply too! I really wish I could actually meet a recruiter but as far as I'm aware there aren't any in the city I'm currently based in.

How specific answers did you guys give to the questions that come under the Knowledge section? Do you think that even with these questions it would be best to stick to just one example?
Hey,

Congratulations on getting to the AC!

Thank you so much for your reply too! I really wish I could actually meet a recruiter but as far as I'm aware there aren't any in the city I'm currently based in.

How specific answers did you guys give to the questions that come under the Knowledge section? Do you think that even with these questions it would be best to stick to just one example?

On the Knowledge ones I think they are looking for how well you know what the program entails. So have a look around the website before writing your answers. One of the questions was "how will you continue to address educational disadvantage over the two years?" ... for this one have a look at some of the testimonials and the "life after the two years" section on the website. If you do your homework, those questions should be fine!

I think everyone will get a call so hold tight until your recruiter calls before sending it off!
Original post by fancyflight16
On the Knowledge ones I think they are looking for how well you know what the program entails. So have a look around the website before writing your answers. One of the questions was "how will you continue to address educational disadvantage over the two years?" ... for this one have a look at some of the testimonials and the "life after the two years" section on the website. If you do your homework, those questions should be fine!

I think everyone will get a call so hold tight until your recruiter calls before sending it off!

Hi again,

I've been doing exactly what you suggested, studied the website in depth, and the more I read stuff there, the more motivated I feel! So I really want to get this right. I just want to avoid basically paraphrasing them though..

The more I write for the other questions the less sure of them I get. I thought I had a good answer for the last one but now I think it is not properly answering the question and is too personal... :s-smilie:

I'm actually really impressed with the questions, they didn't seem that difficult at first glance but now I think that they're actually very very well designed. I do really appreciate all the help TF has on their website but again I first and foremost want retain my authenticity and not just write what I think they want to hear.

How soon after registering as an applicant did you get a call?

Thanks again!!
Reply 689
Hello all,

I started an application on 2nd July and sent it off on the 6th. During this time no one from the TF Recruitment team contacted me by phone. Should I be worried?
Original post by Samton
Hello all,

I started an application on 2nd July and sent it off on the 6th. During this time no one from the TF Recruitment team contacted me by phone. Should I be worried?

No, I think it depends on how long your application is sat with you before you submit it. I did mine really quickly so I didn't get a call.

I think they just offer you advice on filling it in if you ar struggling...but you did yours in 4 days so clearly you weren't!!!:biggrin:
Reply 691
Turns out I needn't have been! I've been invited to an assessment day! Nervous!
Reply 692
I got an offer for primary :smile: Just a quick question about the Summer Institute, how intense is it? Do we have to be there 7 days a week for the whole six weeks?
Reply 693
Anyone got their AC on the 17th July?
Reply 694
*Just got my lesson choices!

English
1) By the end of this lesson pupils will be able to choose words that will have an impact on the reader.
2) By the end of this lesson pupils will be able to take on different roles and responsibilities to promote effective discussion and draw together other people’s ideas.

^^ any ideas? I'm leaning more towards the first one, maybe focusing on words and effects like hyperbole or emotive/ persuasive writing? Really want to do well cause lessons are where a lot if people trip up :{ Any feedback is appreciated guys!
Thanks,
Flozz xxxx
Does anyone actually have any insights how the application forms are assessed? Do they look for an overview of someone's suitability or do they just harshly mark against some set of criteria to check whether or not the candidate ticks enough boxes?

I hate the way many people I know are quite happy to bulls*** in all sorts of applications just sticking in as many big words and "desirable traits" as possible, and believe me or not but if they do this eloquently enough, they're usually successful.

I know I have to sell myself to some degree and really convey what I gained from the experiences I have. However I have too much personal integrity to make myself sound like a wonderwoman..
Reply 696
Hey guys,

Just planning my lesson for my AC - it seems a lifetime ago that I was in KS3! I feel like my lesson is TOO SIMPLE! Can that ever be an issue, even though it answers the question and is fun and interactive?

The group task is getting me nervous...it seems like it's just a lottery of who we get put with on the day..eeeekkk.

Holls.
Original post by Holls-90
Hey guys,

Just planning my lesson for my AC - it seems a lifetime ago that I was in KS3! I feel like my lesson is TOO SIMPLE! Can that ever be an issue, even though it answers the question and is fun and interactive?

The group task is getting me nervous...it seems like it's just a lottery of who we get put with on the day..eeeekkk.

Holls.

Holly,

I thought my lesson was too simple as I used a picture book but it was fine. Remember KS3 starts at age 7 so you can be aiming it at the lower end. I think they are assessing how well you can get up and teach and interact with the pupils not the lesson content.

Also as someone said to me...TF aren't looking for qualified teachers, they are going to train you to do that, they just look for potential.

As for the group task, don't worry! Just be yourself and try to strike a balance between being too vocal and being a mouse :-)

You'll be fine x:biggrin:
For all of those prepping for AC's there is an 8 page spread featuring TF in the Times today called 'The Teaching Challenge'. Here is the link to the online version...hope it helps!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/theteachingchallenge/
Thanks Laura, that looks really useful.

I've got an AC for English Secondary on 23rd July, anyone else on this date? I can't remember ever wanting to do well this badly before :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending