The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by northhillside

Hey guys. I've been reading through all the posts and am incredibly grateful for all the advice that people have taken time to give! I've got my AC this week and am petrified! I really want this and have a few concerns I guess.

I'm probably going to teach the primary maths lesson (KS2) although I don't really have a maths background of any form. Do you think that I'll need to justify my lesson choice?

Also, does anyone know how long the interview lasts? From what people have been saying it's purely competency based, is that right? Has anyone brought in a folder of certificates, photos etc and has this been any use at all? It'd be interesting to gauge whether people have been successful or not having done this!

As I said, I'm thinking of teaching the primary maths lesson. I'm quite wary of giving away what exactly the question is but... it seems that many aspects of this topic may have been covered before kids start KS2 but the question seems to demand a VERY basic introduction to the topic. Is that the best approach to take?

Also, does anyone know how many places there are for primary?

Anyway, to everyone who hasn't had their assessments yet, or are waiting for a response, good luck! It seems that most roles haven't been filled just yet so we're probably not competing against each other in any real way, it seems if we're good enough then we'll get through so I hope we all make it!

You definitely don't have to justify your lesson choice at all - there is no real opportunity to do that at all, and it's not necessary - you can pick whichever topic you feel most comfortable teaching.

As for the interview, mine lasted around 35mins, they say its 30-40minutes, and that appeared to be the case for everyone at my AC. I personally would say there is no point bringing anything to the interview at all - as you will quickly realise, it is COMPLETELY scripted, the interviewer literally has a list of questions which they will ask everybody, in order. It is purely competency based - so read up on the competencies on the website, and also have a good idea about TeachFirst and the Leadership Development Programme.

As far as I can tell, they are still open for everything except secondary history (but do not be discouraged they will give you an alternative or deferred off if you are for history and pass the AC).

Good luck!
Reply 981
My advice for anyone who has an AC coming up - be *really* honest in your self-evaluation tasks.

I felt I performed fairly poorly at both the Group task and, in particular, in my lesson (It just didn't really work, I didn't really feel they'd learnt anything and I would do it completely differently if I were to repeat - I also completely stalled and just babbled for a good couple of minutes) - but I think I was very honest about that in my written evaluation. I said I was disappointed, it didn't work, but gave all the reasons I thought that it was bad, and I did get an offer, so I think they must value an honest evaluation.

Also, has anyone else accepted a 2014 offer? I was offered 2013 Primary or 2014 Secondary history, and after considerating it all weekend, decided I just couldn't deal with primary - now seems like a very long time to wait!

Claire xxx
Reply 982
Hey guys!!

I have just submitted my application form :s-smilie:

I graduated from uni with a 2.2 in 2010 but then got a job as a teaching assistant and currently have a job where I cover teachers PPA time and teach the children art and pe. Do you think I have any chance of getting in with a 2.2 and teaching experience???

Anyone else applied with a 2.2???
Received my SKA today. I'm kind of nervous about it, to be honest :s-smilie: the euphoria of getting an offer has well and truly flown away, hahaha! The Facebook group is useful, though. I'll get stuck into all the research tonight.
Original post by claire_x
You definitely don't have to justify your lesson choice at all - there is no real opportunity to do that at all, and it's not necessary - you can pick whichever topic you feel most comfortable teaching.

As for the interview, mine lasted around 35mins, they say its 30-40minutes, and that appeared to be the case for everyone at my AC. I personally would say there is no point bringing anything to the interview at all - as you will quickly realise, it is COMPLETELY scripted, the interviewer literally has a list of questions which they will ask everybody, in order. It is purely competency based - so read up on the competencies on the website, and also have a good idea about TeachFirst and the Leadership Development Programme.

As far as I can tell, they are still open for everything except secondary history (but do not be discouraged they will give you an alternative or deferred off if you are for history and pass the AC).

Good luck!

Thanks Claire! Great advice and I've taken it into account. To the person applying with a 2:2, I'm not sure exactly how high a priority they place on university grades but trawling back through these messages I've seen that a few people have got through to an assessment centre and also to the job with one so I wish you all the best! If you've managed to demonstrate that your experience has benefited you and will make you a great teacher then I reckon that you have as much of a chance as anyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Buzzy2bs
Hey guys!!

I have just submitted my application form :s-smilie:

I graduated from uni with a 2.2 in 2010 but then got a job as a teaching assistant and currently have a job where I cover teachers PPA time and teach the children art and pe. Do you think I have any chance of getting in with a 2.2 and teaching experience???

Anyone else applied with a 2.2???

I didn't myself but I know people who have done the programme with a 2:2. They say they consider applications holistically so it's worth a shot if you have school experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 986
Hiya,

Got offered a place for primary last week and was so excited! Now am stressing about the SKA! It seems really intense! How have people who have completed it found it? Does anyone know how likely it is to not pass it?! I am worrying I won't be successful and will loose my place!

xx
Reply 987
Hello everyone, i had my assessment centre last monday and still haven't heard anything.... is that weird?
Reply 988
Original post by Georgia gEoRg
The AC was exactly as they said it would be (there really are no surprises!) and I received a call offering me a place the following morning, so pretty chuffed :smile:
You're also starting in 2013 aren't you? So I guess I'll be seeing you at the summer institute (subject to passing this SKA!)

Yes- that's me! Hello!
I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to worry about not hearing back yet. I read through this entire thread when I was applying and some people hear back immediately and some people a few days later, maybe it depends on your subject or the person responsible for calling you. Hoping you hear some good news on Monday :redface:

For anyone who has their AC coming up I'd say the same as everyone else has-
* Know the competencies very well and be able to talk about how you meet them. Think of some examples for each one that you can draw on for the interview.
* Remember your performance in the group task and lesson and be very honest in the self evaluation.
* Try make your lesson interactive and suitable to the age group you're teaching. The lesson was actually the best part of my day, the "kids" were actually lovely and it wasn't at all scary once I was stood up there :smile:
* Be passionate about what you've done and know why you want to do Teach First. Make sure that TF is what you really REALLY want to do and that this comes across during the day :smile:
* Group task, there's nothing much I can say here, just be yourself and go with the flow. Don't worry about not being able to prepare for it beforehand, everyone is in the same boat.

One last thing- does anyone here know the dates for the 2013 summer institute? I'm getting married next year and have a feeling the date we've (provisionally) chosen will clash with the start of it :s-smilie:

I didn't get it :frown: I'm disappointed, but at the same time a little relieved. I know exactly what I'm going to do to get into teaching now :smile:

Well done to everyone with offers!
Reply 989
Original post by raada
Hiya,

Got offered a place for primary last week and was so excited! Now am stressing about the SKA! It seems really intense! How have people who have completed it found it? Does anyone know how likely it is to not pass it?! I am worrying I won't be successful and will loose my place!

xx

Hi, I'm on the Primary programme too and have just had mine accepted. My main advice would be to spend a lot of time researching the questions, looking at the stimuli and thinking about your action plan. I think it's very rare for you not to pass it, more likely that you might be asked to update it with more detail. Just make sure you spend the time on it :smile: the reviewer will give really good and helpful feedback too. Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 990
Original post by Lit2010
I didn't get it :frown: I'm disappointed, but at the same time a little relieved. I know exactly what I'm going to do to get into teaching now :smile:

I'm sorry :frown: are you going to get feedback? It'll be helpful, I'm sure. Sounds like you've dealt with it really well :smile: What are your plans now then?

Reply 991
Original post by Sids16
Hi, I'm on the Primary programme too and have just had mine accepted. My main advice would be to spend a lot of time researching the questions, looking at the stimuli and thinking about your action plan. I think it's very rare for you not to pass it, more likely that you might be asked to update it with more detail. Just make sure you spend the time on it :smile: the reviewer will give really good and helpful feedback too. Good luck!

Thank you so much! Have read most of the stimuli now, did you do extra research around it or just use the stimuli? The word counts hard too, cant write much in 300 words! Well done for passing yours!! :smile: where are you wanting to be placed, do you know?
Reply 992
Original post by Sids16
I'm sorry :frown: are you going to get feedback? It'll be helpful, I'm sure. Sounds like you've dealt with it really well :smile: What are your plans now then?

Yeah, I have asked for feedback :smile: I think it's probably my interview that let me down. I was able to talk about such a variety of experiences which demonstrate the competencies, but I may have not sounded passionate enough about tackling educational disadvantage. Whilst I am passionate about it, I wouldn't want the non-disadvantaged to miss out and/ or receive less attention. I didn't say this exactly, but if it came across, I don't think it would have gone in my favour.

I'm hoping to do a MA after I graduate and then do a PGCE. I really want to do both, so it makes more sense to do a MA first. I'm really enjoying studying, so I'm going to take every opportunity I can to continue :biggrin:
Original post by Lit2010

That's a shame, sorry to hear :frown:

Are you planning to go through PGCE or GTP route now? Best of luck with whatever you choose to do :smile:
Original post by Lit2010
Yeah, I have asked for feedback :smile: I think it's probably my interview that let me down. I was able to talk about such a variety of experiences which demonstrate the competencies, but I may have not sounded passionate enough about tackling educational disadvantage. Whilst I am passionate about it, I wouldn't want the non-disadvantaged to miss out and/ or receive less attention. I didn't say this exactly, but if it came across, I don't think it would have gone in my favour.

I'm hoping to do a MA after I graduate and then do a PGCE. I really want to do both, so it makes more sense to do a MA first. I'm really enjoying studying, so I'm going to take every opportunity I can to continue :biggrin:

Oops! I should have read down a bit further down before replying. It sounds like you have it sussed, best of luck with everything! :smile: :smile:
Original post by raada
Hiya,

xx

I am in exactly the same position! Woke up this morning already thinking about question 3 :s-smilie:

I have today off work so hoping to blitz through it, really worried that I'm approaching the questions completely wrong though! Hope you get it sorted ok! :smile:
Reply 996
Hey everyone,
I've started working on my lesson as got the title today but need to bounce some ideas off someone and see if I'm on the right track. Would anyone mind if I messaged them with my ideas so far?
Original post by AmeliaGYC
Hey everyone,
I've started working on my lesson as got the title today but need to bounce some ideas off someone and see if I'm on the right track. Would anyone mind if I messaged them with my ideas so far?

What subject?
Reply 998
Original post by AmeliaGYC
Hey everyone,

Feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 999
Original post by Georgia gEoRg
Oops! I should have read down a bit further down before replying. It sounds like you have it sussed, best of luck with everything! :smile: :smile:

Thank you :smile: Well done on being accepted! It was lovely to meet you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending