The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noiva
Thank you, thats much clearer. Mine's in a couple weeks, very excited/ nervous!

Good luck to you! Mine is on 5th November and I'm pretty nervous! If you want to chat/swap ideas I'd be happy to, just send me a PM =)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I just found out that I have passed my SKA! Hoorah :biggrin:
Original post by joannefrances
I just found out that I have passed my SKA! Hoorah :biggrin:

Woo! Congrats! What will you be teaching?

Original post by princessnell
Woo! Congrats! What will you be teaching?

Secondary English :smile: Just got to get the QTS tests done with now, excited about those...jokes, that was a compelte joke :biggrin:
Secondary English :smile: Just got to get the QTS tests done with now, excited about those...jokes, that was a compelte joke :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll do fine =) do you only get one chance at the QTS tests now?

Is anyone else applying for PGCE just in case they get rejected by Teach First? I haven't applied for Teach First yet ( will do today) but I'm slightly worried just in case they don't accept me and I have no back up!
Original post by princessnell
I'm sure you'll do fine =) do you only get one chance at the QTS tests now?

You're allowed three attempts and then it locks you out for ages. As long as I do the prep I'm sure I'll be okay, I used to be alright at maths so I'm sure I'll remember it eventually!
You're allowed three attempts and then it locks you out for ages. As long as I do the prep I'm sure I'll be okay, I used to be alright at maths so I'm sure I'll remember it eventually!

One of my friends (who is a teacher) said it's pretty difficult - I guess the pressure gets to you! Lots of practice is key I think! Good luck and like I said, I'm sure you'll do fine =)

hey all. Those who are doing the numeracy/literacy tests, how useful are the online DofE practice ones- are they easier or harder in real life?? Are there any other online tests that might come be useful?

Does anyone know if the literacy tests include stuff on verbs, nouns, etc etc?

Is there anything that people found particularly hard in the actual tests.

I didn't realise that the tests had to be completed within a month of receiving the offer- do you think it'll matter if I do mine a day late? (just emailed TF to see if that's okay)
:colondollar:
Original post by BaddestChick
Is anyone else applying for PGCE just in case they get rejected by Teach First? I haven't applied for Teach First yet ( will do today) but I'm slightly worried just in case they don't accept me and I have no back up!

Teach First won't accept you if you've already been offered a place on a PGCE. The Teach First process seems pretty quick and for most subjects PGCE applications a little slower, so I wouldn't worry...unless it's History or English. What are you looking to teach?
Original post by Chiarissima
Teach First won't accept you if you've already been offered a place on a PGCE. The Teach First process seems pretty quick and for most subjects PGCE applications a little slower, so I wouldn't worry...unless it's History or English. What are you looking to teach?

Okay, thank you :smile: I want to teach Primary!
Original post by northhillside
hey all. Those who are doing the numeracy/literacy tests, how useful are the online DofE practice ones- are they easier or harder in real life?? Are there any other online tests that might come be useful?

Does anyone know if the literacy tests include stuff on verbs, nouns, etc etc?

Is there anything that people found particularly hard in the actual tests.

I didn't realise that the tests had to be completed within a month of receiving the offer- do you think it'll matter if I do mine a day late? (just emailed TF to see if that's okay)
:colondollar:

I passed them this week - the online tests are really useful and pretty true to what the questions are like on the day. Everything you need to know for the numeracy test is on the DofE website, but I couldn't find the same for literacy.

You don't need to recap nouns etc, the sections are spelling, grammar and comprehension - as you will see from the online test.

I personally found the mental arithmetic section (numeracy) the hardest because of the time pressure, but practicing really helped.

Hope that's helpful!
Primary and English closed today.
Hiya,
Really interesting to read all your posts - good luck all. I've applied and have my assessment centre day coming up later this week. I'm really looking forward to it. However, I really want to teach English (secondary) and I see that applications are now closed for English. Does this mean that all places have been filled, and I'm going to the assessment centre on the basis that, if I were to be made an offer, it wouldn't be for Aug/Sept 2013 but for the following year. Or *horror*, that I could, potentially be made an offer for another subject (I'm a Mod Langs grad, but don't want to teach MFL)? Maybe I'll see some of you over the next few days. In the meantime, any clarification would be appreciated from those in the know!
Original post by queencaroline
Hiya,
Really interesting to read all your posts - good luck all. I've applied and have my assessment centre day coming up later this week. I'm really looking forward to it. However, I really want to teach English (secondary) and I see that applications are now closed for English. Does this mean that all places have been filled, and I'm going to the assessment centre on the basis that, if I were to be made an offer, it wouldn't be for Aug/Sept 2013 but for the following year. Or *horror*, that I could, potentially be made an offer for another subject (I'm a Mod Langs grad, but don't want to teach MFL)? Maybe I'll see some of you over the next few days. In the meantime, any clarification would be appreciated from those in the know!

*although maybe with punctuation like that I shouldn't be allowed to teach English. Oops.*
Original post by gabriellexami
I passed them this week - the online tests are really useful and pretty true to what the questions are like on the day. Everything you need to know for the numeracy test is on the DofE website, but I couldn't find the same for literacy.

You don't need to recap nouns etc, the sections are spelling, grammar and comprehension - as you will see from the online test.

I personally found the mental arithmetic section (numeracy) the hardest because of the time pressure, but practicing really helped.

Hope that's helpful!

Is it true we're given a wipeboard and a pen to help with workings out?
anyone going for their AC on 30th?! i am sooo scared!
Reply 1197
Original post by rainbow drops
Primary and English closed today.

Out of curiosity, where does it say so?
Original post by queencaroline
Hiya,

I spoke to a recruiter about it when it was 'nearing capacity' and she said all participants of the AC still have a chance of getting places still as it is mainly a warning for the applicants online. Hope this makes sense. I would like confirmation of this if possible from someone else just in case!

Also confused about it saying English, History and Primary were now closed on the official Facebook. The website shows nearing capacity except History. I really hope we're still in for a chance. At the assessment centre for Primary on Thursday and I'll be gutted if I get accepted but missed out on a place by 2 days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending