The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by melon0209
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how have people laid out their Action Plan for their primary SKA?

Im at a loss!

Hope everyone is having a ball with the SKA :wink:

Thank you xxx

Hi, I'm doing mine at the moment too and was wondering the same thing. I think I'm going to bullet point it as we only have 200 words. And I'm going to categorise it by month, for example:

December: read x, y, and z. Look on this website etc.
January: speak to mrs whoever about science.
February: etc etc

I know a lot of people attend additional lectures to get more info on their particular subject areas or topics they find difficult, but I'm not a student so I'm trying to think of alternatives to this. Any ideas??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by princessnell
Hi, I'm doing mine at the moment too and was wondering the same thing. I think I'm going to bullet point it as we only have 200 words. And I'm going to categorise it by month, for example:

December: read x, y, and z. Look on this website etc.
January: speak to mrs whoever about science.
February: etc etc

I know a lot of people attend additional lectures to get more info on their particular subject areas or topics they find difficult, but I'm not a student so I'm trying to think of alternatives to this. Any ideas??

You only have 200 words to use? That seems a bit mean :s-smilie: the action plan in the English SKA had no limit other than the whole SKA needing to be under 2,500 words overall.

I know I'm not going to be teaching primary, but I organised mine month-by-month and it was fine (well, mine has been passed and the reviewer didn't highlight any problems with my timeline in the feedback, so it seems that it was fine!) I'm no longer at uni either, and I didn't use any resources beyond fairly obvious things like books and websites. I didn't mention speaking to teachers or anything like that; I think the most adventurous thing I included was using Youtube as a resource for revising differences between spoken and written language.
Original post by Sids16
Whoop for Durham! Haha. What college were/are you guys at? Yeah my boyfriend's studying and living in Yorkshire for the next couple of years so it would be lovely to be in the same county! Long distance relationship too for me, for several years so it would make a change being in the same place :smile: but it'll work wherever I get placed. Can't wait to find out!

I was at Castle. Not been back since I left though, kind of miss it although I would probably feel insanely old going back now!
Reply 1383
Hi
Just a quick question about the lesson segment of the AC. In general do the "pupils" give much back, when asking questions within the lesson?

thank you
Reply 1384
Original post by Becca
I was at Castle. Not been back since I left though, kind of miss it although I would probably feel insanely old going back now!

I'm at Hild Bede, but my boyfriend is castle- great place! So Becca, you actually got your last choice?! I'm worrying now! x
Original post by katemst
I'm at Hild Bede, but my boyfriend is castle- great place! So Becca, you actually got your last choice?! I'm worrying now! x

Yep got my last choice, but I don't regret it one bit! There's really no point worrying about it, what will be will be :smile:
I miss Castle, had such an awesome time there!
Reply 1386
Original post by katemst

I went to Hild Bede! I graduated in 2011. I know that we all have our preferences, but we all also know that we'll have to go where we're put, no matter what!! I hope we find out soon, just so that it's less of an unknown.

Original post by abi28990
Hi
Just a quick question about the lesson segment of the AC. In general do the "pupils" give much back, when asking questions within the lesson?

thank you

Yes :smile: they act like normal students so as long as you interact with them you will be fine
Hi everyone! I submitted my SKA for primary yesterday. Was just curious to know if anyone else has submitted theirs recently and how long it took to hear back?

Hi everyone! I submitted my SKA for primary yesterday. Was just curious to know if anyone else has submitted theirs recently and how long it took to hear back?

I submitted mine for English about 3 weeks ago now and heard back about 10 days later. Got some really useful feedback too! I know some people are having to wait longer, depends on subject I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1390
Hey guys,

I've got my Assessment Centre on 4th December, hoping to do Secondary MFL. This thread's got some useful tips in it but I'm getting a little lost with details, here! What on earth, for example, is a SKA?

Could someone explain simply what I have to prepare before the Assessment Centre? So far, I believe I'll have:
1) competency-based interview
2) teaching a seven-minute class
3) group task/case study

Am I missing something? Is there something written to submit?

I'm very keen to talk to anyone else in the process or who has already completed it as it all looks so interesting but also a wee bit overwhelming!

Cheers,
Matt :smile:
Original post by Jodders29
I submitted mine for English about 3 weeks ago now and heard back about 10 days later. Got some really useful feedback too! I know some people are having to wait longer, depends on subject I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! Yeah my recruiter told me that each subject is dealt with by different people. Just wanted to get an average timescale. Hope it's not too long - I hate waiting!

Original post by matt228
Hey guys,

I've got my Assessment Centre on 4th December, hoping to do Secondary MFL. This thread's got some useful tips in it but I'm getting a little lost with details, here! What on earth, for example, is a SKA?

Could someone explain simply what I have to prepare before the Assessment Centre? So far, I believe I'll have:
1) competency-based interview
2) teaching a seven-minute class
3) group task/case study

Am I missing something? Is there something written to submit?

I'm very keen to talk to anyone else in the process or who has already completed it as it all looks so interesting but also a wee bit overwhelming!

Cheers,
Matt :smile:

Hi Matt! Congrats on getting through to the AC. Everything you need to know is sent to you by teach first, there's no hidden parts to the day and you can prepare based on all the info you are emailed.

1) the competency based interview is similar to the online application form but much more detailed. The interviewers haven't seen your app, so you can use examples from there, but I would recommend having a few backup situations to talk about too. Try to think of things within the last 2-3 years. It's pretty relaxed and you are allowed to go back to questions if you need more time. Also make sure you know about teach first, the mission and what is involved in the LDP

2) the seven minute lesson is straightforward. You get all of the details one week before your AC and it is more than enough time to prepare. Just remember that the pupils may disrupt the class, so take that into account when planning your timings. I would aim to have your lesson finished by six minutes, so that you can have a bit of time to see to any problems. Also, you only get 60 seconds to set up the lesson, so bear that in mind with regards to materials you take in with you

3) the group task has no prep before the AC and is straightforward. Just make sure you focus on your own input and also the group as a whole.

The SKA stands for Subject Knowledge Audit and is something you have to complete if you get an offer after your AC.

If you want feel free to PM me, I'm more than happy to answer any other questions you may have. I had my AC on November 5th and got an offer to teach primary =)

Good luck!!

Reply 1393
Has anyone heard any horror stories about people failing their SKA? I'm really worried about mine now, I didn't spend long enough on it :/
Original post by vicki_9
Has anyone heard any horror stories about people failing their SKA? I'm really worried about mine now, I didn't spend long enough on it :/

I've heard it's pretty rare to fail it. How long did you spend on it and which subject is it for?

Reply 1395
I've heard it's pretty rare to fail it. How long did you spend on it and which subject is it for?

It was for maths. Everything was fine apart from the action plan and i ended up just having one night to do it so it was a mad rush to research what books I could read etc. Have you done yours?
Original post by vicki_9
It was for maths. Everything was fine apart from the action plan and i ended up just having one night to do it so it was a mad rush to research what books I could read etc. Have you done yours?

Yeah but I haven't had my feedback yet. I did mine for primary and the action plan only allows 200 words so I'm pretty worried about mine too! I'm sure it'll be ok. You can be asked to make a few changes to it, so they may ask you to provide a bit more detail if they feel you need to, but I wouldn't worry too much. Hope we hear back soon!

Reply 1397
Yeah but I haven't had my feedback yet. I did mine for primary and the action plan only allows 200 words so I'm pretty worried about mine too! I'm sure it'll be ok. You can be asked to make a few changes to it, so they may ask you to provide a bit more detail if they feel you need to, but I wouldn't worry too much. Hope we hear back soon!

Wow, that's really short! I hope we do too, I can't wait to find out my region and plan where to live :smile:
Original post by Raducan
I'm considering applying to Teach First next year, and I was wondering if anyone knows what support there is for LGBT participants? I'm a lesbian and I'm concerned how to deal with this in relation to teaching, as schools are particularly homophobic environments in general. I work in a school right now (not in the UK) and definitely feel like I have to hide my sexuality for the sake of my job.

I won't bother you with any circumstantial evidence from my own experiences, but what I would do is get in contact with TF about it. Ring them and explain your situation exactly as you write here and they should be able to tell you.
Reply 1399
Hi Matt! Congrats on getting through to the AC. Everything you need to know is sent to you by teach first, there's no hidden parts to the day and you can prepare based on all the info you are emailed.

1) the competency based interview is similar to the online application form but much more detailed. The interviewers haven't seen your app, so you can use examples from there, but I would recommend having a few backup situations to talk about too. Try to think of things within the last 2-3 years. It's pretty relaxed and you are allowed to go back to questions if you need more time. Also make sure you know about teach first, the mission and what is involved in the LDP

2) the seven minute lesson is straightforward. You get all of the details one week before your AC and it is more than enough time to prepare. Just remember that the pupils may disrupt the class, so take that into account when planning your timings. I would aim to have your lesson finished by six minutes, so that you can have a bit of time to see to any problems. Also, you only get 60 seconds to set up the lesson, so bear that in mind with regards to materials you take in with you

3) the group task has no prep before the AC and is straightforward. Just make sure you focus on your own input and also the group as a whole.

The SKA stands for Subject Knowledge Audit and is something you have to complete if you get an offer after your AC.

If you want feel free to PM me, I'm more than happy to answer any other questions you may have. I had my AC on November 5th and got an offer to teach primary =)

Good luck!!

Thanks, you're all so helpful on here. :smile:

My AC is 4th December so I guess I'll get my information on Tuesday if it comes a week before! I may well send you a PM. :smile:

As for the recent poster who asked for support for LGBT applicants, there is a question on the application form which asks you to state your sexuality: from what I can gather, they are an "equal-opportunities employer" (which really should just be "employer" these days but alas...). I'd definitely call them if I were you.

Does anyone know if it's quite normal to have little or no teaching experience before applying? I've taught English and the piano before but not whole classes (well, not since work experience when I was 14)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending