The Student Room Group

Advice needed.

I'm starting my AS levels in September (Physics, Mathematics, English Literature and Chemistry) and, I know this sounds weird, but I'm really excited to be starting them. I've just so tired of GCSE papers and markschemes and I cannot wait to start afresh with something new (even though I'll be advancing and developing my knowledge from GCSE). Tommorow's maths exams will be my final GCSE paper ever and even though I know I should be relaxing from then on, I'm simply one of those people who cannot stop working.

So, I just want to know if anyone has any tips or advice for starting AS levels, in particular AS levels in the subjects I have selected. I've called the school I will be studying at in September, and it seems that for each subject, the exam boards are all AQA.

Any advice? All my teachers are constantly reminding our class of how much studying is required to even pass a-level. I know I will work hard, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me get through what will be a very difficult and insane two years.
Reply 1
Original post by issyconnor

Any advice? All my teachers are constantly reminding our class of how much studying is required to even pass a-level. I know I will work hard, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me get through what will be a very difficult and insane two years.

My biggest piece of advice, which I should have listened too myself :tongue:, is when teachers say, 'look over your notes after class' DO IT. Damn it makes things easier. And if they say, oh we're looking at such and such next lesson, have a cheeky look ahead in the book :biggrin: Doesn't sound like much, but it's helped me understand things better and keep the work load down a little because I never feel like I'm having to play catch up! I hope this helps, just stay on top of your work load and you shouldn't find it over whelming :smile:
Reply 2
Well, I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to do it when I start A2s in September...

For every topic you do in class, print off a few exam questions from past papers and practice answering them, then look at the mark schemes and copy down the marking points and add them to your notes.

Also, as Cariie said, reading over notes REALLY helps, along with reading the textbook before you have the lesson.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, buy the textbooks now and start having a look. You could do some of the practice questions in the textbooks if they are at the end of each page, especially in maths. I find I never ever do this when exams come along; there are just too many other things to do (notes/past papers)!

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by montanaj

For every topic you do in class, print off a few exam questions from past papers and practice answering them, then look at the mark schemes and copy down the marking points and add them to your notes.

Definitely agree with this, find out what the examiner wants from you from the start, some subjects are marked very differently from GCSE! :tongue: Then you'll know HOW to answer the questions and know you definitely understand it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest