The Student Room Group

What will happen if my joints get so bad that I cannot physically write in my exams?

Hello, I am a year 13 and have just started my final exams, I have already done one but have 4 more still to go.

Anyway the problem is I have joint hypermobility syndrome, only diagnosed very recently when I went to a physio therapist for another reason. I fit the diagnostic criteria but I have not seen my GP about it yet. But the problem is this causes a lot of pain in my joints and frequent dislocation of my right elbow which is esspecially weak, I also have carpal tunnel as a result of the hypermobility.
Recently, possible as a result of stess, this has been getting a lot worse, writing for an extended period of time, like in an exam can be absolutly excruciating, and if my elbow dislocates it can take a little while to feel normal again which is a nightmare when I am in the middle of a long essay and lose my train of thought.

But because it has got so much worse recently, I am really scared of what will happen in the exams, what if I physically just cannot write. This is worrying me so much now, I am trying to avoid writing as much as possible, but I know I have to do these exams to get into university.
Is their anyway I can do the exam without having to write?

What would happen if I could not do the exam as a result of this or had to stop an exam half way through?
Would I just get my predicted grade, or would I not get to go to university and have to resit?
I know this is important but I cannot be damaging my joints for it.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer.
Reply 1
How about typing? I know people who have had to sit some of their exams at a computer because their handwriting was deemed utterly incoherent.
Talk to your exams officer about it asap.
I think you can actually have an independent assistant write for you - you just dictate to them. I suspect you'd need to get the condition confirmed by a doctor though

Quick Reply

Latest