The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am also considering learning some as I wish to study abroad in Hong Kong in my International Management degree.

What type Chinese are you studying, Mandarin? If so, how difficult is it to speak?
what_a_shambles
Anyone know of any decent resources for learning the actual script rather than pronunciation etc, as I want to get some idea of the language before considering studying it @ university...

I've got a couple of books where it's all about pronunciation and speaking but nothing about the actual characters,

Thanks for any help...

Firstly, might I congratulate you on your excellent choice of language. Secondly, the British Council make GCSE textbooks where you learn the actual script (and which apparently get you a B at GCSE). As for doing it at university, most of the unis in Britain and Europe are crap for Chinese, except SOAS and another one in the Netherlands.. but then again, if you want to get anywhere in life, you'll have to know some Chinese.

--------------

ElWilson
I am also considering learning some as I wish to study abroad in Hong Kong in my International Management degree.

What type Chinese are you studying, Mandarin? If so, how difficult is it to speak?

If you're vaguely co-ordinated it shouldn't be too bad. Probably a lot easier than Cantonese (and nicer sounding too).
I recommend the Fun with Chinese Characters books. They basically show you how to write a number of simple characters and tell you how the character came to be. It's really a good insight into how the written language works. And although its not a text book, it is a good way to start off. This is the way I started off learning characters before I started my Chinese degree. Good luck!

And whatever you do, don't come to Newcastle to do Chinese. It really is rubbish. I agree, SOAS is the only place worth doing Chinese at. Alas :frown:
Reply 4
i was thinking of doing GCSE chinese, but think i won't have enough time, so am considering skipping to AS level and then possibly A2. If i work at it solidly, do you think i should be able to sit the AS exam by june 2007?
I don't know what the standard of Chinese one needs for the AS exam is, but I have been informed by my tutor that by year 2 of our degree, we will be post A-level standard. So I think it is definately possible. As long as you work really hard, and do it every day. Try to find Chinese people to speak to; get past papers so you know what the standard is; listen to chinese songs and watch chinese films; order your food in Chinese when you go for a take-away...etc! You can do it! If you want any help, just ask! Of course, if you can for a couple of weeks, going to China will really be the best way to learn. If not, then just try to immerse yourself in as much Chinese as possible.
祝你好运!!
Reply 6
The Ace is Back
Probably a lot easier than Cantonese (and nicer sounding too).

It's definitely easier learning Mandarin, since there are only four tones and you can read the pronunciation to help you. It's more useful, too, since they speak Mandarin in most of China...
baldsoup
It's more useful, too, since they speak Mandarin in most of China...

indeed, it'll be very useful in 40 years time
mdcosta
i was thinking of doing GCSE chinese, but think i won't have enough time, so am considering skipping to AS level and then possibly A2. If i work at it solidly, do you think i should be able to sit the AS exam by june 2007?

people always talk the talk, but can you seriously walk the walk?
Reply 9
baldsoup
It's more useful, too, since they speak Mandarin in most of China...

gordon2002
indeed, it'll be very useful in 40 years time

Obviously ignoring the fact that Mandarin is the world's most spoken language, even ahead of English (the second most spoken is Spanish). China also has the largest population of any country, and it is estimated that the Chinese economy will overtaken Britain's by mid-2006 to become the world's 4th largest economy.
Reply 10
Thundercat88
And whatever you do, don't come to Newcastle to do Chinese.

What's so bad about it?
baldsoup
Obviously ignoring the fact that Mandarin is the world's most spoken language, even ahead of English (the second most spoken is Spanish). China also has the largest population of any country, and it is estimated that the Chinese economy will overtaken Britain's by mid-2006 to become the world's 4th largest economy.

well done
heninacoop
What's so bad about it?

It's really really slow. Half the speed of the other Uni's that do it. In the first year, you do no modules relating to China other than 4 hours of Chinese language. All the good stuff comes in year 2. You go abroad in third year, not second, and by that time one would assume to have an extra year of knowledge, but it turns out that we learn the same amount, just half as slow. So while other Uni's have 2 more years in UK when they return, we have just 1, and it's half as slow! It doesn't take a genius to work out that graduates of Chinese from Newcastle will be much less able than those from Leeds/Sheffield/Soas/Oxbridge etc. Don't come here unless you want to do Chinese as an extra topic in another degree.
ThunderCat8
It's really really slow. Half the speed of the other Uni's that do it. In the first year, you do no modules relating to China other than 4 hours of Chinese language. All the good stuff comes in year 2. You go abroad in third year, not second, and by that time one would assume to have an extra year of knowledge, but it turns out that we learn the same amount, just half as slow. So while other Uni's have 2 more years in UK when they return, we have just 1, and it's half as slow! It doesn't take a genius to work out that graduates of Chinese from Newcastle will be much less able than those from Leeds/Sheffield/Soas/Oxbridge etc. Don't come here unless you want to do Chinese as an extra topic in another degree.

Do you know which unis do chinese and economics?
Reply 14
The Ace is Back
Do you know which unis do chinese and economics?

Just did a UCAS search, it came up with Nottingham, SOAS, Leeds and Edinburgh. I guess you could also do it at Newcastle as part of their combined course programme - you already speek some Chinese right? In that case the speed probably wouldn't be such a problem for you because you would start at a higher level.

ThunderCat8

Thanks for that information, I was seriously considering Newcastle! Although it didn't really surprise me, because I was looking through the prospectus and it seems to be presented as an 'extra' option rather than a major feature of the course. Ah well, just reduces my choices a little more :redface:...
Seriously, Newcastle isn't bad at teaching Chinese, but it really is just an extra subject. If you want to do something random like Biology and Chinese, then you can do that here! But if you are looking at doing Chinese as your major, don't make the mistake I did and come to Newcastle! Go to SOAS if you can, seriously.
Reply 16
I am Chinese, so I don't need to learn Chinese, but I have to spend most of time to learn English........:frown:

If you want to learn Mandarin, maybe we can teach each other.
heninacoop
Just did a UCAS search, it came up with Nottingham, SOAS, Leeds and Edinburgh. I guess you could also do it at Newcastle as part of their combined course programme - you already speek some Chinese right? In that case the speed probably wouldn't be such a problem for you because you would start at a higher level.

SOAS it is then :wink: Thanks.
Reply 18
Beth, do it. You know you want to. :wink:

I know I've said it before but seriously, come in and ask Mei (that's the Chinese teacher in college). She's so enthusiastic it's unreal I'm sure she could give you some advice, help, worksheets, books, whatever. Plus you've probably noticed it already but there's a (very) little Chinese library in college, it's in one of the English classrooms. I haven't checked exactly what books are in there but it'd be silly if there isn't one to help you with that sort of thing.
Reply 19
This is generally considered 'the' book on reading/writing characters. There's also a version for simplified characters. I have that version, it's very good. You should also consider getting 'New Practical Chinese Reader' Volume 1. That's very good for a good all round taster of Mandarin Chinese.

As for Universities. I'm also very interested in doing Chinese at uni - from my research the following are considered very good for this course:
- Oxbridge
- SOAS
- Sheffield
- Leeds
- Edinburgh

So basically the ones thundercat said. Some here say SOAS is the best, others Oxford/Cambridge. Manchester are also starting a Chinese Studies course so that should be good too.

I'd be really interested in hearing from SOAS Chinese students or just SOAS students, or actually just students in London! It's for another forum I know but I'll just ramble here. What puts me off living in London is it seems inpersonal, expensive and it seems you have to travel some distances in you're 3rd and 4th year (for SOAS) to get from your housing to the campus.

Oh well, maybe I'm just being ignorant.

Latest

Trending

Trending