The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought cambridge only do oriental studies?
Reply 21
gordon2002
I thought cambridge only do oriental studies?

No they do Chinese Studies and Japanese Studies (2 seperate degrees).
oh right, is it new?
Reply 23
Not that I know of. They classify a few different courses under Oriental Studies like they do Modern and Medieval Languages but it's still just Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc that you do (that's not taking into account special language options where you can do a bit of Japanese in a Chinese degree for example).
tax.man
Not that I know of. They classify a few different courses under Oriental Studies like they do Modern and Medieval Languages but it's still just Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc that you do (that's not taking into account special language options where you can do a bit of Japanese in a Chinese degree for example).

ooooh I see
Reply 25
what_a_shambles
Anyone know of any decent resources for learning the actual script rather than pronunciation etc, as I want to get some idea of the language before considering studying it @ university...

I've got a couple of books where it's all about pronunciation and speaking but nothing about the actual characters,

Thanks for any help...

For Christmas this year I recieved a book called 'Fun with Chinese Characters -The Straits Times Collection-' thugh it's not as patronising as the name implies. It will teach you hundreds of chinese ideographs and pictograms, starting from scratch. It includes etymologies and explains how they evolved. It includes a pronunciation guide and each symbols pronunciation (Madarin only -I'm afraid). I'm finding it really helpful. Here's some info on where to find it if you like the sound of it:

www.marshallcavendish.com/genref
ISBN 981 232 601 4
£9:99-ish

Latest

Trending

Trending