The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Hello, just started running and came across the C25K plan, however I gather it's more intended for free running rather than treadmill running (what i'm using at the moment, I live in a notoriously hilly area!) due to the short running/walking intervals which would be hard to change that quick on the machine in terms of adjusting the speeds. At the moment I can do a 5 minute walking warm up following by 15 minutes running non-stop, to the tune of about 2.5k. Should I just carry on as I am? I tend to go 3 times a week and add an extra few minutes on each time.
Original post by hollyalamode
Hello, just started running and came across the C25K plan, however I gather it's more intended for free running rather than treadmill running (what i'm using at the moment, I live in a notoriously hilly area!) due to the short running/walking intervals which would be hard to change that quick on the machine in terms of adjusting the speeds. At the moment I can do a 5 minute walking warm up following by 15 minutes running non-stop, to the tune of about 2.5k. Should I just carry on as I am? I tend to go 3 times a week and add an extra few minutes on each time.

Just start at week 5. Seems about right for where you're at now, and doesn't have annoyingly short intervals.
Original post by hollyalamode

A lot of people do C25K on the treadmill. Luckily, it's only the first couple of weeks that involves very short intervals. If you can already run for 15 mins then it's probably worth just trying to add a little on each time- even if it's only an extra 20 seconds every time. You've already pretty much got to halfway point of C25K so you have no reason to go back to the small interval part.
Just completed W5R2 this morning :smile: I can't believe how much my fitness has improved!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting this programme again as soon as the snow's gone - I'm sick of being sat down all the time! I got to week 6 I think in November, but then I did a lot of coursework and got ill. By the time I get to university though I want to feel fit and confident and be able to run 5km round campus :')
Original post by leannesagoodman
I'm starting this programme again as soon as the snow's gone - I'm sick of being sat down all the time! I got to week 6 I think in November, but then I did a lot of coursework and got ill. By the time I get to university though I want to feel fit and confident and be able to run 5km round campus :')

I did W1R3 this morning, snow shouldn't stop you. Just wore my standard trainers, but with long kneelength woolen socks and a couple of extra layers up top.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I did W1R3 this morning, snow shouldn't stop you. Just wore my standard trainers, but with long kneelength woolen socks and a couple of extra layers up top.

I'm more worried about when the snow turns to ice to be honest, but that's probably me making an unnecessary excuse :colondollar: ah well. By this time next week I WILL have gone running. I'll make that promise to myself now. The internet is my witness.
Slight bumpage.

Started this again on Sunday. Got to week 8 last year (but kept repeating it so I had an excuse to keep going) before my split shin.

Started on week 4, was tough enough when I consider I was running 28 minutes up to the end of September.

Hoping to go further and faster this time around.
Original post by Triggstar
Slight bumpage.

Started this again on Sunday. Got to week 8 last year (but kept repeating it so I had an excuse to keep going) before my split shin.

Started on week 4, was tough enough when I consider I was running 28 minutes up to the end of September.

Hoping to go further and faster this time around.

Nice one. I just finished C25K recently, good luck :smile:
I finished today! So worth it. Hopefully I will do a parkrun (informal 5k) at some point, for now: on with the 10k training! I'm hoping 12 weeks is long enough...
I want to get involved qith c25k but i'm self concious about running.

Also how would i keep track of the short bursts of running?
Original post by sunfowers01
I want to get involved qith c25k but i'm self concious about running.

Also how would i keep track of the short bursts of running?

The podcast tells you when to start and stop, if that's what you mean :smile:
Can't wait to start again; started back last summer buck my legs kept cramping and getting injured. Been working on lower leg exercises and they seem a lot better so hoping this time I can stick with the running. :biggrin:
Original post by RibenaRockstar
The podcast tells you when to start and stop, if that's what you mean :smile:

Yes it is, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Restarting this for the last time! Got to W6 last summer, have just done W2R1 - would have been fine if I didn't choose to run at 11am with the blazing heat!
Original post by FuzzySheep
Restarting this for the last time! Got to W6 last summer, have just done W2R1 - would have been fine if I didn't choose to run at 11am with the blazing heat!

If you got to week six you got past the hardest part which is wk5 run 3 (20mins). Although I managed the half hour last year I'm repeating week5 run 2 as I don't feel ready just yet. Good luck.
Reply 1996
I'm on week 1 run 3, so only just started! Glad to see there's a thread on here!

I am definitely struggling, I'm so unfit which is sooo bad at my age (20) but that's why I am really determined to do this challenge!

Any tips for a new runner/ exercise phobe?
Original post by Triggstar
If you got to week six you got past the hardest part which is wk5 run 3 (20mins). Although I managed the half hour last year I'm repeating week5 run 2 as I don't feel ready just yet. Good luck.

And yet I've lost all progress and fitness within the year! :tongue: Best of luck to you too :smile:
Just on week 8, run 1 (28 mins) but I actually ran 30 mins today :biggrin:
Started this a few weeks ago, but kept missing days and starting over, but now this is the most consistent I've been so far (classes are done now) and I'm due to do W2R1 tmrw morning! I heard running in the morning was best for weight loss? -Sorry if this as already been answered!

Quick Reply

Latest