The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bathwiggle
Yes, your no claims don't expire when the license does, so if you get 2 year no claims, then have a year off you'll still have them, but leave it much longer and you'll have to start from scratch again

Most of us on here are just old and not grown up yet!

"Grown up," what is this thing of which you speak? :biggrin:
Original post by mountainmetman
"Grown up," what is this thing of which you speak? :biggrin:

No idea, but apparently when it happens you leave tsr????
Yes, your no claims don't expire when the license does, so if you get 2 year no claims, then have a year off you'll still have them, but leave it much longer and you'll have to start from scratch again

Most of us on here are just old and not grown up yet!

eh? yet? :eyeball:
i dont plan on it... (much to Juno's dislike :tongue:)
Reply 6583
Original post by Boristhethird
eh? yet? :eyeball:
i dont plan on it... (much to Juno's dislike :tongue:)

But but but but but but...:rolleyes:
Reply 6584
I hate Phyllis :huff:
I am home.

Had a phenomenal week up in Wales with the Triumph. Covered just shy of 1300 miles but I spent less than I was expecting to. Ruined the rear tyre (Battlax BT016; stock tyre so not my choice) on the journey home; already fairly shagged before I went up so a combination of high mileage and the motorway journey home killed it. Really happy with it's grip and perfomance in the twisties and faster sections of road but I've not even touched 4000 miles so I've got a BT023 on it instead which'll do double that, if not more.

I love my bike. It's bloody mental but I'd not have any other set of wheels.
Reply 6586
Bikes I have been on the back of in order of niceness:

Honda
Ugs
Phyllis
Bros
Hi people I need some maintenance help please! My rear brake disc had wd40 sprayed on it (little nephew found the bottle) and now my rear brake hardly works. I press it while riding at 20mph (and I mean slam on it hard) and my bike gradually comes to a stop it's not safe at all. Also my bike chain keeps coming off, often when I shift to second gear. I have to pull up on the side and get my hands all oily and dirty just to put it back. Just now it came off, I put it back on and then came off after 5 mins again! Is it because it is too oiled? This problem never happened before, it's a recent problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by ShafiqJ
Hi people I need some maintenance help please! My rear brake disc had wd40 sprayed on it (little nephew found the bottle) and now my rear brake hardly works. I press it while riding at 20mph (and I mean slam on it hard) and my bike gradually comes to a stop it's not safe at all. Also my bike chain keeps coming off, often when I shift to second gear. I have to pull up on the side and get my hands all oily and dirty just to put it back. Just now it came off, I put it back on and then came off after 5 mins again! Is it because it is too oiled? This problem never happened before, it's a recent problem.

Tighten your chain, it's far too loose to be able to come off. What bike? tightening isn't hard, you loose the rear axil, then you'll have two bolts one on each swing arm at the end near the back of the bike (most likely can't tell without knowing the bike) turn these both the same amount clockwise, gradually it moves the rear wheel back, tightening the chain. The chain should have 1.5inchs slack. Don't over tighten, and make sure you turn each bolt the same amount, otherwise your wheel will become wonky and can cause you to crash

With your rear brake disk, detergent or paraffin on the disk AND the pad, wash it, wash it, wash it some more, then rinse and wash it again.

HTH's?
Tighten your chain, it's far too loose to be able to come off. What bike? tightening isn't hard, you loose the rear axil, then you'll have two bolts one on each swing arm at the end near the back of the bike (most likely can't tell without knowing the bike) turn these both the same amount clockwise, gradually it moves the rear wheel back, tightening the chain. The chain should have 1.5inchs slack. Don't over tighten, and make sure you turn each bolt the same amount, otherwise your wheel will become wonky and can cause you to crash

With your rear brake disk, detergent or paraffin on the disk AND the pad, wash it, wash it, wash it some more, then rinse and wash it again.

HTH's?

Bike is Honda 125r 2007
Original post by ShafiqJ
Bike is Honda 125r 2007

Right, did you get a manual with the bike? and also do you lube your chain regularly?
Original post by ShafiqJ

as wiggle says, wiggles says, your chain is far too loose if it can come off. get a haynes manual and tightn it :smile:

about the WD40, clean the disk and ive been told that in these situations you should always repalce the pads, as they are porus and will have absorbed the WD40 (wipe it off the disk before moving the bike next time).

hhad a little trouble today, went into nottingham park up phyllis with my disk lock, went to take it off and it wouldnt come off. spent about 10 minutes trying to get it off, before a handy shop keeper came out with a can of WD40.

end of the story is i need a new lock.

hhad a little trouble today, went into nottingham park up phyllis with my disk lock, went to take it off and it wouldnt come off. spent about 10 minutes trying to get it off, before a handy shop keeper came out with a can of WD40.

end of the story is i need a new lock.

i thought it was you need a mini can of wd40?
i thought it was you need a mini can of wd40?

you thought what was me?

and ill need to get me one of those, now i have under seat storage i should fill it with handy stuff, what else should i have (wd40, ducgt tape, cable ties, first aid kit)
(edited 11 years ago)
you thought what was me?

and ill need to get me one of those, now i have under seat storage i should fill it with handy stuff, what else should i have (wd40, ducgt tape, cable ties, first aid kit)

The end of the story :biggrin:

Under my seat is electrical tape, mini ratchet, my own selected toolkit rather than stock, first aid kit, cable ties, bike jump leads, and gasket sealant. I think. Well under the SV anyway

Essex air ambulance run... anyone coming, it's on a different sunday to last year. And i'll be living in hitchin (ish) so it'll be a trek to get there for me anyway *wifey*

Oh and the date is 16th september!
Hey guys, is anyone here interested in buying my '97 teapot? Only got 7k miles on the clock but my dad's fed up of it lurking in his shed :frown:

There's a pic in my spoiler. Except it now obviously has it's mirrors back on.

(Sorry If this is against the rules I'll remove my post)
Original post by The Bagel Guy
Hey guys, is anyone here interested in buying my '97 teapot? Only got 7k miles on the clock but my dad's fed up of it lurking in his shed :frown:

There's a pic in my spoiler. Except it now obviously has it's mirrors back on.

(Sorry If this is against the rules I'll remove my post)

We've just sold ours too.....
We've just sold ours too.....

Your teapot?
Original post by The Bagel Guy
Your teapot?

It was one of my dads bikes
It was one of my dads bikes

Ah, a man of taste!

Mines sat in the shed for several months cause It takes 20 minutes of shuffling to get it out of the gate at my house. My dad's getting sick of it sitting in his shed now though :frown:

I'll be bikeless for the first time since i was 16 :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending