The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Additional Science B6C6P6 Post-exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sokka
well you get A* in gcse in year 10, you get to sit as level math + as level further math in year 11, but basically, we do fp1,fp2 and fp3 in the AS further instead of other modules like D1 or something, but in AS level maths, we do C1,C2 AND M1/S1. I got 97 in C1 in jan, so retook in May :colondollar: if you're picking it next year, I'll tell you something I wasn't told:
1) Learn how to FACTORISE!!!! make it flow in your blood, factorise anything from cubics to quadratics.
2) Don't think it's going to be TOO much of a jump from GCSE.
3) All you need for an A* is 75 in all the other modules and 180 across C3 and C4 in a level to get an A*.

So basically, here's an example.
C1: 75
C2: 75
S1: 75
C3: 90
C4: 90
M1: 75

= A*

basically, just get an average of an A grade, but C3 and C4 HAVE to be 180 together, so you can get 85 on C3 and 95 on C4 etc etc...
only 2 other kids are doing this in my year, Japanese and Chinese :tongue: so in total, we had like 20+ exams because we get 16 gcses in total (ict and p.e are each 2 gcse's, helps alot!)

Why is it that you need to make sure you get the 90s on C3 and C4 and not C1 and C2?
Reply 101
Original post by Alimbo95
Why is it that you need to make sure you get the 90s on C3 and C4 and not C1 and C2?

dunno man, it's weird like that. It says it on the websites though, AQA, EDEXCEL and other exam boards mark it like this. Math is the only a level that gets marked like this, no idea why though. Most people who get C3 AND C4 at 180 together will usually get 90+ on the other modules anyway because c3 and c4 are the hardest, so I guess they want you to demonstrate your good enough for 180 across c3 and c4. They don't mind if you get 75 in other modules after that, but as I stead, if you can get 180 across c3 and c4 you will definitely get 90+ in other modules unless you have 'bad days' on all of them.
Reply 102
Original post by Sokka
hmm, I'm relying on S1 for the info. I'll just have to revise standard deviation, spearman's rank and a few other topics but I'd say it's going fine :h: Self-teaching is what it's all about, I had to self-teach myself basically as level maths and as level further maths this year and then sit 3 exams for each :tongue: it works pretty well - I get an entire room to myself in math lessons (with 2 other guys) for a start! we don't even work lol. We watched half a movie on an MP4 once xD my eyes were blurry aftwards..

Woah, you're a bit ahead then! I'm worried about the difficulty of maths and further next year, I'm doing them. Are they hard or not? :blush: (I mean, I got an A* in GCSE last year, but A-level looks so hard :frown: )
Reply 103
Original post by Ears
Woah, you're a bit ahead then! I'm worried about the difficulty of maths and further next year, I'm doing them. Are they hard or not? :blush: (I mean, I got an A* in GCSE last year, but A-level looks so hard :frown: )

haha with that avatar, i'm sure you'll go far in life! (jk xD but it's just a way of saying I like your avatar)
back on topic - you got an A*, you're not going to have any problems. I didn't even check out any material in the summer holidays, just went with the flow. I'm sure if you learn some basics and use your time well this summer then you won't have a problem.
Basically this is how it is in my opinion, and I'm sure you might agree, if not, you might find it easier because you'll be better at maths since you've have another year to improve.
* = easy
***** = very difficult

in my opinion:
C1 + C2: *
FP1 - FP3: ***

This means you shouldn't have a problem really in your first year of college/6th form.
It gets hard in A2. This is what I think (I completed C3 and checked out some of C4 but I'm basing further maths rating on people's opinion - the majority):
C3: ***** (in my opinion and most others, this is the hardest of all the cores so make sure you know it inside out, but that's like 1.2 years away :tongue:)
C4: ****
I'm doing M1 next year, I actually learnt it all x]
What I can say about M1, if you ever do it, is to know how to resolve forces in all directions and understand vectors properly before you carry on. Also, newton's laws of motion e.g. F=ma and the friction equation f=mu*R need to be practised ALOT to get to a good standard. They don't vary the questions a lot in M1 exams from year to year because they are generally hard, mastering the techniques it self takes some time but in my opinion it's easier than S1, so if you get a choice, choose M1.
S1: ** (you have to learn many pages and apply techniques which gets boring)
M1: * (you have to learn theories and only a bit of pages, the shortest module in my opinion. It's fun and helps with AS level physics alot I heard -I also read unit 1 and the mechanics unit of my as level physics AQA book that I bought a while ago and it helps with the mechanics section ALOT (no **** sherlock.))

All I can say is what you put in is what you get out - this has a literal meaning in AS level maths, practise alot (I didn't do past papers for GCSE maths and I just scraped an A - proof).

Gd luck in your exams! :]

EDIT: oh yh, just to put the stars rating system I just made up into perspective, GCSE maths is about this much (the red part):

1/6th of an asterix is obviously a slight exaggeration, but I hope it helps lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by Sokka
haha with that avatar, i'm sure you'll go far in life! (jk xD but it's just a way of saying I like your avatar)
back on topic - you got an A*, you're not going to have any problems. I didn't even check out any material in the summer holidays, just went with the flow. I'm sure if you learn some basics and use your time well this summer then you won't have a problem.
Basically this is how it is in my opinion, and I'm sure you might agree, if not, you might find it easier because you'll be better at maths since you've have another year to improve.
* = easy
***** = very difficult

in my opinion:
FP1 - FP3: ***

This means you shouldn't have a problem really in your first year of college/6th form.
It gets hard in A2. This is what I think (I completed C3 and checked out some of C4 but I'm basing further maths rating on people's opinion - the majority):
C3: ***** (in my opinion and most others, this is the hardest of all the cores so make sure you know it inside out, but that's like 1.2 years away :tongue:)
C4: ****
I'm doing M1 next year, I actually learnt it all x]
What I can say about M1, if you ever do it, is to know how to resolve forces in all directions and understand vectors properly before you carry on. Also, newton's laws of motion e.g. F=ma and the friction equation f=mu*R need to be practised ALOT to get to a good standard. They don't vary the questions a lot in M1 exams from year to year because they are generally hard, mastering the techniques it self takes some time but in my opinion it's easier than S1, so if you get a choice, choose M1.
S1: ** (you have to learn many pages and apply techniques which gets boring)
M1: * (you have to learn theories and only a bit of pages, the shortest module in my opinion. It's fun and helps with AS level physics alot I heard -I also read unit 1 and the mechanics unit of my as level physics AQA book that I bought a while ago and it helps with the mechanics section ALOT (no **** sherlock.))

All I can say is what you put in is what you get out - this has a literal meaning in AS level maths, practise alot (I didn't do past papers for GCSE maths and I just scraped an A - proof).

Gd luck in your exams! :]

Thank you very much for the reassurance, I always over worry about these things. Just some of the questions look scary but I'm sure I'll be able to crack them once I'm taught how. I'll go over the core material in the holidays just so I don't lose confidence or anything :smile:

Thanks! Good luck too!
Loving how the convo now is nothing to do with today's exam :s-smilie:
Original post by Sokka
dunno man, it's weird like that. It says it on the websites though, AQA, EDEXCEL and other exam boards mark it like this. Math is the only a level that gets marked like this, no idea why though. Most people who get C3 AND C4 at 180 together will usually get 90+ on the other modules anyway because c3 and c4 are the hardest, so I guess they want you to demonstrate your good enough for 180 across c3 and c4. They don't mind if you get 75 in other modules after that, but as I stead, if you can get 180 across c3 and c4 you will definitely get 90+ in other modules unless you have 'bad days' on all of them.

I guess you'd want to get 90+ anyway if you're wanting to get into Oxbridge.
Original post by sushibabee

Lol yeah...so um, how'd you find the exam today? :tongue:
Reply 108
I guess you'd want to get 90+ anyway if you're wanting to get into Oxbridge.

yep. OR you can train for BMO1/2 and impress them with your problem solving skills - then you won't need to worry about grades. I know a guy on this site (Nerevar) who was in the British math olympiad team. He got 3 gcse's (1 of them was A* in maths) and for a levels he got like a B in further maths, a C in physics and an A in a level maths. He got into Trinity College, Cambridge without interview or STEP. It actually pays if you really like maths and just concentrate on it, but you have to risk it - if you don't concentrate on your a levels as much, and choose the hard maths route, then you'll have to get to atleast BMO2 + have fairly good a levels.

EDIT: Why do my posts always end up so long? :l
EDIT #2: Sorry for hi-jacking this thread :tongue:

Yh lol :biggrin::mmm: . Just for you, what did everyone write down for the pH question?
Original post by Sokka
yep. OR you can train for BMO1/2 and impress them with your problem solving skills - then you won't need to worry about grades. I know a guy on this site (Nerevar) who was in the British math olympiad team. He got 3 gcse's (1 of them was A* in maths) and for a levels he got like a B in further maths, a C in physics and an A in a level maths. He got into Trinity College, Cambridge without interview or STEP. It actually pays if you really like maths and just concentrate on it, but you have to risk it - if you don't concentrate on your a levels as much, and choose the hard maths route, then you'll have to get to atleast BMO2 + have fairly good a levels.

EDIT: Why do my posts always end up so long? :l
EDIT #2: Sorry for hi-jacking this thread :tongue:

Yeah, my chemistry teacher got into Pembroke College to study Chemistry with Cs a GCSE and ABC at A level. But, that was back in the daaaay; like 30 years ago... Still, when you apply to Oxbridge, they're not after someone who is all rounded and sociable, they'd rather take on the geek who locks himself in his bedroom all day studying Classics. It's all about your interest in your chosen subject.
Reply 111
What did u guys put for the acid ph one?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Lol yeah...so um, how'd you find the exam today? :tongue:

lol.. I found it alrite...I thought Chemistry was the hardest of the three..thanks for asking about the exam :P
Yh lol :biggrin::mmm: . Just for you, what did everyone write down for the pH question?

tbh...I can't even remember a pH question :s ...but thanks for asking :smile:
Reply 114
Original post by gandhi1
What did u guys put for the acid ph one?

tbh...I can't even remember a pH question :s ...but thanks for asking :smile:

I wasn't too sure with this. I wrote that the pH changes at a different rate to which the acid is used. Something like that, I think :s-smilie:
Original post by Ears
I wasn't too sure with this. I wrote that the pH changes at a different rate to which the acid is used. Something like that, I think :s-smilie:

Oh yh...Yh I ticked the first box...which I think is what you put down :smile: hopefully it is correct :s-smilie:
Original post by Sokka
* = easy
***** = very difficult

in my opinion:

oh yh, just to put the stars rating system I just made up into perspective, GCSE maths is about this much (the red part):

1/6th of an asterix is obviously a slight exaggeration, but I hope it helps lol.

So C1 and C2 are six times more difficult than GCSE maths?...
How reassuring.
lol.. I found it alrite...I thought Chemistry was the hardest of the three..thanks for asking about the exam :P

Lol it was a miserable attempt to stay on-topic. Yeah I found Chemistry the hardest too. I always dread the Physics part because I dislike Physics and most of the stuff just doesn't sink in my head but I think the Physics section was quite easier...
It was MUCH easier than chem, however, I feel it's a different story with the upcoming unit 5 exam :cry2:
Reply 119
Do you guys thing this was harder than last years paper (June 2010)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending