The Student Room Group

Is politics a soft subject for law at a-level?

Is politics a soft subject for law at a-level?
Do u have to do alot of essays - or just 1 essay per exam - makes sense??
You have to do essays. No it isn't "soft".
your brains the only soft thing.
I have a really strong dislike for people that say Politics is an easy A-level; it's practically the same as History, but yet that's highly regarded? Politics is more than just listing the functions of Congress, saying what CCR is, analysing the diversity of the 2005 HoC intake etc. - we analyse how things connect (is the steady decline of partisanship linked to de-industrialisation? for example), much like historians do. You don't get marks for simple listings, you must have an independent mind willing to explore the reasons for things happening, what happens, what happens as a result of that and troubleshooting policy.

Someone behind me on the bus the other day said that language A-levels were 'easy' too... I could've thrown him through the window right there and then. 'Intelligence' isn't restricted to the sciences - some people really do need to get over that fact.
Reply 4
If you're not good at essays, then you dont wanna do this subject.
Reply 5
You write about 5 essays in a exam....and nope I do both sciences and politics, it isn't easier, it can be quite boring but it depends I guess I liked learning about American politics more than British. Overall, a lot to learn very content base so if your hood at memorizing writing essays remembering case studies etc its a good subject to take up. And no the subject isn't seen as 'soft' at university. If your thinking of law its the perfect subject to do in my opinion.
Reply 6
Original post by TheMeister
I have a really strong dislike for people that say Politics is an easy A-level; it's practically the same as History, but yet that's highly regarded? Politics is more than just listing the functions of Congress, saying what CCR is, analysing the diversity of the 2005 HoC intake etc. - we analyse how things connect (is the steady decline of partisanship linked to de-industrialisation? for example), much like historians do. You don't get marks for simple listings, you must have an independent mind willing to explore the reasons for things happening, what happens, what happens as a result of that and troubleshooting policy.

Someone behind me on the bus the other day said that language A-levels were 'easy' too... I could've thrown him through the window right there and then. 'Intelligence' isn't restricted to the sciences - some people really do need to get over that fact.

So is History the same as Politics, coz if it is then I'm not gunna take it - coz history is not me and it's harder than maths at a-level...:?
No, it's not a soft subject.

In fact, I have many students at my college who are taking Government and Politics, but plan to do law at University.

The reason? Some Universities prefer their law students not to have studied law at A-level, so they approach the subject with a fresh unbiased perspective when they get to uni.

Regards,

Simon Foster
Government and Politics Lecturer.
Reply 8
Original post by Simonafoster
No, it's not a soft subject.

In fact, I have many students at my college who are taking Government and Politics, but plan to do law at University.

The reason? Some Universities prefer their law students not to have studied law at A-level, so they approach the subject with a fresh unbiased perspective when they get to uni.

Regards,

Simon Foster
Government and Politics Lecturer.

I want to study law and i have taken law at a level.
will it be a negative for me when i apply to university? :s-smilie:
Original post by misharos
I want to study law and i have taken law at a level.
will it be a negative for me when i apply to university? :s-smilie:

In a word, no.
i did law and politics a levels and i was writing a lot more essays in politics than i was in law
Reply 11
I took Government and Politics, History, English Language and English Literature at AS level this year. I got the results yesterday and got 198/200 in Politics. There are some people who wrongly perceive politics to be a soft option, but it is on the list of most highly regarded subjects for Oxford.
If you do the AQA exam, you do 2 papers, both of which have two 40 mark questions in them. These are subdivided into a 5, 10 and 25 mark question. This means that the 25 mark one especially is quite a long essay, but this isnt any more taxing than other written subjects.
The thing you have to think about is whether you have an interest i politics, and whether you would enjoy studying it. I will be applying for Law at Oxford, and I feel that politics is a good asset on my UCAS. In fact, again on the AQA politics course you do a topic on the Judiciary, which is hugely applicable for law.
In the end, if you can achieve an A in politics, then that is clearly going to be regared more highly than a B in Chemistry for example, and it shouldnt disadvantage your chances of studying law at a decent university.
Reply 12
Can overlap like mine did, but no they are two seperate subjects.
Original post by rdsnell
I took Government and Politics, History, English Language and English Literature at AS level this year. I got the results yesterday and got 198/200 in Politics. There are some people who wrongly perceive politics to be a soft option, but it is on the list of most highly regarded subjects for Oxford.
If you do the AQA exam, you do 2 papers, both of which have two 40 mark questions in them. These are subdivided into a 5, 10 and 25 mark question. This means that the 25 mark one especially is quite a long essay, but this isnt any more taxing than other written subjects.
The thing you have to think about is whether you have an interest i politics, and whether you would enjoy studying it. I will be applying for Law at Oxford, and I feel that politics is a good asset on my UCAS. In fact, again on the AQA politics course you do a topic on the Judiciary, which is hugely applicable for law.
In the end, if you can achieve an A in politics, then that is clearly going to be regared more highly than a B in Chemistry for example, and it shouldnt disadvantage your chances of studying law at a decent university.

Is this libel against my choices Rob? :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by DavidLloydGeorge
Is this libel against my choices Rob? :biggrin:

Haha not pete I can honestly say it wasn't, I have no idea why I picked chemistry over any other subject. However, it isn't applicable to you as you are extremely likely to get an A in chem :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending