The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Gap Year?

Hello,

Basically I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and currently thinking of taking a gap year for various reasons. I was thinking of maybe doing something with the Open University during this time. I know it's quite far in advance but I was just wondering how it worked, since I'm not really sure. Is it possible to say take a few modules of different things, or what would b suitable for someone wanting to do say a History Degree at Uni or History/Politics of some variant.

Also would Uni's be alright with this, I'm planning on mainly working during my Gap Year, have a job already, and maybe getting some work experience in places to see what I may like to do after University. Just don't want a year completely out, but want to be able to work in my own time etc.
Reply 1
You can take a few modules of different things if you like, but if you're only studying for a year (and a bit if you start pretty much immediately after exams) that doesn't give you much time. 120 credits a year is the same as brick uni, so is effectively full time (although study at the OU is never classed as full time study for official things like council tax). Most OU modules are 30 or 60 credits, so you'd really be only looking at 1 or 2.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Ah okay, so would it say be more worthwhile to do like a extra AS or something rather than the OU? Just although I want to do something during my Gap Year, the reason I'm taking a Gap Year is because I don't want to be in 'full time' education again straight after A2. Also i guess because I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do, since there are so many choices.
Reply 3
Strangely, an AS might turn out to be more work - they're designed to take a whole year, whereas OU modules have a definite start and end date and only last a few months. Also, an extra AS may be included in a conditional offer, whereas an OU module probably won't be.

Have a browse round the OU site and see what interests you - they have some short courses and Openings courses that might interest you whilst not being too much work.

Quick Reply

Latest