The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Chad's

Noticed there were threads for University College and Hatfield, so thought I would start one for St Chad's. Was wondering if anyone on TSR was there at mo, or also applying and cud answer a few quick questions-

*Whats it like to share a room, are they quite small or ok in size etc?
*Is the food nice? (well edible)
*Noticed some accommodation is in town centre so slightly away from main college- whats this accommodation like?
*Are the rules really so strict that you are fined £30 for putting blue tack on the wall?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was there last year. I shared a room that wasn't in the main college, it was in one of the buildings further up the bailey. It was huge and there wasn't any big issues about queues for the shower etc, so the facilities were good enough. Apparently it's pot luck what kind of room you get...I was lucky to get one with a huge picture window overlooking the back gardens, or you could end up with a tiny one looking out at the Cathedral/bailey. I'd recommend asking about who your roommate is going to be and which room you've been allocated before you get there - when I went I had no clue what was happening, and feeling that bewildered wasn't nice on the first day! The main inconvenience was having to drag my laundry down the street to main colleges' washing machines...the locals would always give me funny looks!

I'm fussy about the food but Chad's is meant to be among the best out of all the colleges. To be honest it was often overcooked and boring but there's loads of places just 5 mins away in town if you get fed up.

A lot of people ignore the blue tack rule (white tack doesn't keep posters up) and you're only likely to be fined if you do something naughty like get drunk and piss in the bar(it's been known).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Cheers for quick reply. I received an offer for Geography about a week ago which was nice xmas present. You sound though like the college wasn't that amazing- sorry might have read wrong? Are you not still part of it this year or did you choose to swap? Thanks for advice- will be very useful if I come to Durham next year. Cheers
Reply 3
mel0112
Cheers for quick reply. I received an offer for Geography about a week ago which was nice xmas present. You sound though like the college wasn't that amazing- sorry might have read wrong? Are you not still part of it this year or did you choose to swap? Thanks for advice- will be very useful if I come to Durham next year. Cheers

Woohoo! Go geography! :biggrin:

I'm a 2nd year geographer, pop any questions on a PM and send it my way if you like :smile:
Reply 4
dobbs
Woohoo! Go geography! :biggrin:

I'm a 2nd year geographer, pop any questions on a PM and send it my way if you like :smile:

But no stealing my daddy :p:
Hehe, yay for geography! :biggrin: BSc or BA?
Reply 5
Rach:)
But no stealing my daddy :p:
Hehe, yay for geography! :biggrin: BSc or BA?

You will have more sisters or maybe even a brother or two next year as I take on more little ones :smile:
Reply 6
dobbs
You will have more sisters or maybe even a brother or two next year as I take on more little ones :smile:

1.I'm not little, you are! :wink: :p:
2.You better not be replacing me! :eek: :rolleyes:
Reply 7
mel0112
Noticed there were threads for University College and Hatfield, so thought I would start one for St Chad's. Was wondering if anyone on TSR was there at mo, or also applying and cud answer a few quick questions-

*Whats it like to share a room, are they quite small or ok in size etc?
*Is the food nice? (well edible)
*Noticed some accommodation is in town centre so slightly away from main college- whats this accommodation like?
*Are the rules really so strict that you are fined £30 for putting blue tack on the wall?

Thank you

I'm a first year there at the moment. I don't share a room so can't personally say what it is like tho most people seem to be alright with it, some people don't speak to their roommates very much others are really good friends with them. I guess you could always ask to miove rooms if you really didn't like your roommate. Most of the shared rooms are huge i.e. bigger than two single rooms put together and quite a few are en-suite.

The food is sooo much nicer than I thought it was going to be, I think it is better than some other colleges' food I've heard about.

I live in the 'accommodation is in town centre' and it is still on the same street. I once timed it and it took me two minutes exactly to get to main college so it is not far at all. It's not actually in the town centre just on the edge of it. And yes carrying laundry up to main college is the only annoying thing really!

The rules aren't strict at all. Someone's cleaner took away their toaster cos we aren't allowed them in rooms after repeated warning but that's the worse it gets!
Reply 8
Bsc- I was really unsure about which one to apply to as Im interested in human and physical geography areas, but emailed admissions with my vague interests and which A levels I was taking and they suggested Bsc. Everyone sounds so friendly, Im gettin all excited about the open day in March now, as we get an overnight stay- so can really get a feel for place. One question, brothers/ sisters? (huh?)

Also thanks 'dobbs', i will pm with any questions- also are you at St Chad's at the mo?

Thank u
Reply 9
mel0112
Bsc- I was really unsure about which one to apply to as Im interested in human and physical geography areas, but emailed admissions with my vague interests and which A levels I was taking and they suggested Bsc. Everyone sounds so friendly, Im gettin all excited about the open day in March now, as we get an overnight stay- so can really get a feel for place. One question, brothers/ sisters? (huh?)

Also thanks 'dobbs', i will pm with any questions- also are you at St Chad's at the mo?

Thank u
dobbs is living out and goes to trevs

The brothers and sisters refers to dobbs being a college parent with multiple children - brothers and sisters
Reply 10
mel0112

Thank u

As Oli ("cobra") said, I'm at Trevelyan college :smile:

And the brothers/sisters thing refers to a system at Durham whereby when you start here you get assigned a mother or a father (or both in some colleges)...they will be someone doing your course (or something very similar) in some year above you. Basically they're there to help you through your first year....help with essays or basic course questions. If your parent has more than one child, then you'll have a brother or sister :smile:

In Trevs, I have a wife and 2 daughters. Since Cuths (St. Cuthberts Society) doesn't have a parental system (for some weird reason!) I "adopted" Rach since she's a 1st year geographer at Cuths :smile:

Although it may sound weird right now, it's a laugh having "families" hehe, especially when incest occurs (which in my family, it hasn't! although one of my daughters pulled my wife's [her mother's] ex-boyfriend lol!)

:biggrin:
Reply 11
the number of people who have pulled their college dads at aidans is disgraceful!!
but the families are awesome, i have a college mum, a psychology dad (the psychology dept also have a parenting system for some reason!), then a brother and a couple of adopted brothers
always tell you off/tease you when you pull their friends or get drunk AGAIN! hehe
Reply 12
Yeah I always take the piss out of one of my daughters (the alcoholic one that isn't Rach :wink: hehe)...whenever she's drunk I'm like "You're wasted...AGAIN! You're always wasted!!" lol....though usually when she's drunk I also am :biggrin:
Reply 13
hehe, yup, got that exact line at least 10 times from my college mum this term! oops!
Reply 14
mel0112

Thank u

Kool, dobbs is BA, Im BSc....same as you, am interested in both physical and human so am stuck in the middle! :rolleyes:

And incest........disgusting concept :wink: :p:
Reply 15
Rach:)
And incest........disgusting concept :wink: :p:

I don't know....it could be interesting :biggrin:

:cool:
Reply 16
dobbs
I don't know....it could be interesting :biggrin:

:cool:

Interesting eh?...... :wink: :p:
Reply 17
mel0112

I got my offer for Durham on Christmas Eve 2003 :biggrin: loved that present. I didn't find Chad's amazing no, but most Chadsians seem to have done. I swapped to Trevs at the beginning of my 2nd year cos I ended up with more friends from there than at my original college! And all the rugby types just got too much for me. But you'll find loads of nice people there too :smile:
Reply 18
Rach. You look really quite fit in your facebook photo!! Not that you dont always look amazing!

Anyway, just thought I would share that with you. Bye! lol :biggrin:
Reply 19
AdamC
Rach. You look really quite fit in your facebook photo!! Not that you dont always look amazing!

Anyway, just thought I would share that with you. Bye! lol :biggrin:

Hahaha, err.....thanks! :rolleyes:

Latest