The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on the subject, in general they're good, but law and chemistry and sum others are really well respected not just good
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
ankur1986
How highly do you think durham is reputed and what is durham like with employers? Just cos in the league tables it isn't ranked as highly as other universities yet it seems to have a very good rep...

Durham has an extremely good reputation, its not quite oxbridge but its up there with your higher thought of unis like LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick, Imperial etc.. I mean only your grade obtained at uni can truely influence your employablitiy after uni. But its true to say that going to one of the higher tier unis will give you a head start in the employment market post-grad...So if I were you, and could get into one of the higher tier unis, I would go for it! As in the long term it will help your carreer prospects.

Luv
Reply 3
yeah, durham is a really well respected uni, although i'm kind of in the same prediciment as you as it isn't rated as highly for my course as perhaps less prestigous uni's such as st andrews.
durham is only brought down in the rankings because of the lower grades and results for and from the queens campus.. the newer extension of durham.. dont understand why its been added to durham and not newcastle uni. anyway, if durham stood on its own it would be higher up (alhtough its still gerenallly near the top ten) and its very well respected.
Reply 5
yeah stockton are dragging us down
Reply 6
ankur1986
How highly do you think durham is reputed and what is durham like with employers? Just cos in the league tables it isn't ranked as highly as other universities yet it seems to have a very good rep...

Durham has a great reputation. A degree from Durham will stand you in good stead when looking for employment. It is true that Stockton drags Durham down, and also some of the league tables look at really irrelevant stuff like A-level scores, and number of students from working class backgrounds, so they're really not that realiable, take them with a pinch of salt.
Reply 7
Kuz
Durham has an extremely good reputation, its not quite oxbridge but its up there with your higher thought of unis like LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick, Imperial etc..
Um, nah.

It may be on the same level as King's, but most of the other ones you list are on a different level from Durham these days.

Realistically, Durham more comes into the Birmingham / Manchester / Sheffield standard...although admittedly it does seem to somehow manage to hold an impressive aura about it which is betrayed by the current standard of the uni.

<hides from all the durham flamers..>
Reply 8
Pencil Queen
The Telegraph's Table of Tables
Is a horrendous load of misleading crap, frankly.

It heavily discounts smaller and more social science based ones (LSE, York) in favour of bigger, sciencey based ones (UMIST etc), which indicates large flaws in the survey.
Reply 9
llama boy
Um, nah.

It may be on the same level as King's, but most of the other ones you list are on a different level from Durham these days.

Realistically, Durham more comes into the Birmingham / Manchester / Sheffield standard...although admittedly it does seem to somehow manage to hold an impressive aura about it which is betrayed by the current standard of the uni.

<hides from all the durham flamers..>

Um, Yes!

Durham has what the likes of Imperial, LSE etc..., has, it has a reputation of prestige and thats what makes it highly reputable!

However you were right in saying that is reputation is misleading to the actually OVERALL standard of the uni today!

Pencil Queen
The Telegraph's Table of Tables ranks Durham 15th in the country for employer opinion (calculated using:

The top 20 are

1 Cambridge
2 UMIST
3 Oxford
4 Manchester
5 Warwick
6 Imperial
7 Nottingham
8 Birmingham
9 Leeds
10 Edinburgh
11 Bath
12 Bristol
13 Loughborough
14 Sheffield
15 Durham
16 Newcastle
17 Strathclyde
18 Heriot-watt
19 Southampton
20 Aston

UCL comes 21, LSE 23 and York 29th.

Come on now!

LSE being placed so low down the table now you've got to believe that is absolute crap!

Both LSE and Durham are definatley Top Ten!
Reply 10
17 Strathclyde
18 Heriot-watt
19 Southampton
20 Aston

As if! They are no way better than LSE, UCL, York, Kings etc!

Pencil Queen
The Telegraph's Table of Tables ranks Durham 15th in the country for employer opinion (calculated using:

The top 20 are

1 Cambridge
2 UMIST
3 Oxford
4 Manchester
5 Warwick
6 Imperial
7 Nottingham
8 Birmingham
9 Leeds
10 Edinburgh
11 Bath
12 Bristol
13 Loughborough
14 Sheffield
15 Durham
16 Newcastle
17 Strathclyde
18 Heriot-watt
19 Southampton
20 Aston

UCL comes 21, LSE 23 and York 29th.

Another more objective measure would be to look at the raw graduate level employment figures used in the subject tables of the Times' Good University Guide (here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html ) on the Overall table Durham gets 93% but this varies greatly by subject.
Reply 11
It's hard to believe Durham is that far down with employers too, but they must have their reasons....
Pencil Queen
I'm sorry but I believe the Graduate Employers opinion of which graduates they prefer over yours.

i agree. durham has never convinced me of its 'academic merit' or high repuation, most people i know have never heard of it and no one from my school with 41 AAA students chose to go there

but then again i'm not covinced as to how much weighting employers truly give to the university the degree came from, if you had a 2.1 from warwick and a 2.1 from sheffield i doubt they would necessarily favour warwick students, if you are enthusiatic and good at your job then the degree shouldn't really matter

editted-must learn to actually look at the table :smile:
Reply 13
Pencil Queen
I'm sorry but I believe the Graduate Employers opinion of which graduates they prefer over yours.

Yeah but its absolute crap! How can Aston be higher placed than LSE!oh please! I'd be suprised if most employers knew there was an Aston university
Reply 14
Pencil Queen
This misses the point.

If the survey is flawed (and I don't know enough about it to know for sure, although I suspect) then this isn't the "Graduate Employers opinion", as you put it.
Reply 15
Pencil Queen
My point to you was that in the absence of any more robust data I'd still prefer data sourced from graduate recruiters (with the possibility of some bias) over data sourced from inexperienced pre-university students opinions (with the *certainty* of bias and a lack of relevent experience).

Ouch! I think that was a bit harsh, as through out i was trying to give my opinions without bias!

However I think its extremely worrying that so one as clever as yourself would rather believe that universitys such as Aston and Southampton are more well thought of by employers than LSE, from an obviously flawed newspaper league table, then listen to my opinion obviously stating otherwise.

I think that shows more than a little arrogance and ignorance on your part don't you?!?

:rolleyes:
Kuz

However I think its extremely worrying that so one as clever as yourself would rather believe that universitys such as Aston and Southampton are more well thought of by employers than LSE, from an obviously flawed newspaper league table, then listen to my opinion obviously stating otherwise.

I think that shows more than a little arrogance and ignorance on your part don't you?!?

:rolleyes:

no. arrogance and ignorance from one who has never heard of aston uni, a *very* well respected one for business related degrees hah! :rolleyes:

lse is a very limited university so it is likely the majority of graduate employers would not see a talent for economics as relevant for a career in many areas, hence the low score in the tables.

whilst lse is patently a very good university it may well be that the students it produces lack the necessary skills to be employable caused by the intensity of their studies. this would explain why universities such as birmingham who are likely to offer a far more rounded student life produce more attractive graduates

this is all, of course, speculation...

Latest