The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Black People that Go Sheffield University

Is there a decent proportion of Black people and people from London in general that go Sheffield University?

Thank You.

Scroll to see replies

theres a lot of somalis in the surrounding area but i dont know about the uni itself but i see a few black people but i dont think there are that much people from london
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by IamBeowulf
theres a lot of somalis in the surrounding area but i dont know about the uni itself but i see a few black people but i dont think there are that much people from london

Ite thanks for replying.
Reply 3
I'm black and all, but honestly why does it matter?
Original post by Righteous Steps
Ite thanks for replying.

lol
Original post by Mangaka
I'm black and all, but honestly why does it matter?

It matters cause i feel comfortable around black people and people from London in general, its not really rocket science now isit.
It matters cause i feel comfortable around black people and people from London in general, its not really rocket science now isit.

i don't think sheffield is for you. it is a good solid northern university and the last thing they need is a tricksy londoner.
Original post by Redreynard
i don't think sheffield is for you. it is a good solid northern university and the last thing they need is a tricksy londoner.

Lol kl.
Racial segregation ftw! **** career prospects!

Go to a uni that has a good course - not one with a particular ethnic demography, what is this, the 50s?
Reply 9
Is there a decent proportion of Black people and people from London in general that go Sheffield University?

Thank You.

I assume you're thinking of applying to Hallam!
Original post by screenager2004

Go to a uni that has a good course - not one with a particular ethnic demography, what is this, the 50s?

did you hear about the south african bus driver that went on an anti-apartheid course. it told him that blacks and whites are all the same, indeed you might as well think of everyone as being green, because colour was irrelevant.
the next time the bus driver pulled up at the bus stop, as the passengers boarded, he said, "right, that will be dark greens at the back and light greens at the front"!
Don't know why people always make a big deal out of these threads. In all honestly,walking into a room/group/area where there are is large majority of White people can sometimes be slightly intimidating,especially knowing many of them will already have preconceived ideas about you.
Black people also sometimes find it easier to mix with other Blacks because of the cultural similarities,eg. Music,food or whatever,so it'll be easier to get to know them and start conversations. Don't know why some people find it so hard to understand.

Anyway,about seven Black guys I know all applied to Sheffield this year,they're all best friends and when they came back from the open day they didn't have anything negative to say. It was a change of environment,and when they went into town they said it wasn't particularly multicultural but overall they liked it there. :biggrin:
Reply 12

Thank You.

I use to go up to Sheffield and Huddersfield; there is a far amount of mix race people, as well as black people there. I do not know about the university, I am looking to go to York or Lancaster from London, and so I know how you feel. Nevertheless, try not to see it as a colour issue, but rather as people you will get on with and those you will not get on with, irrelevant of ones colour.
Reply 13
Original post by JaiiStarh
walking into a room/group/area where there are is large majority of White people can sometimes be slightly intimidating,especially knowing many of them will already have preconceived ideas about you

Wow, heads up room/group/area of stereotypers, little miss stereotyper just walked into the room.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Flawed
Wow, heads up room/group/area of stereotypers, little miss stereotyper just walked into the room.

I can't even deny it's about stereotypes because everyone does it to a certain extent. Stereotypes aren't always negative you know,and they can derive from a culture. When you first meet someone it is most likely that you will have certain stereotypes about them,whether they then fit into your stereotype or not after you get to know them is something different.
The amount of White as well as Black people who have said to me 'You're quite quiet/shy for a Black girl' is quite worrying :rolleyes:
Original post by screenager2004

I understand what you mean, but i'm not going to go to a university where i'm miserable.
Original post by JaiiStarh
Don't know why people always make a big deal out of these threads. In all honestly,walking into a room/group/area where there are is large majority of White people can sometimes be slightly intimidating,especially knowing many of them will already have preconceived ideas about you.
Black people also sometimes find it easier to mix with other Blacks because of the cultural similarities,eg. Music,food or whatever,so it'll be easier to get to know them and start conversations. Don't know why some people find it so hard to understand.

Anyway,about seven Black guys I know all applied to Sheffield this year,they're all best friends and when they came back from the open day they didn't have anything negative to say. It was a change of environment,and when they went into town they said it wasn't particularly multicultural but overall they liked it there. :biggrin:

Ite thanks, and yeah some people try to make a big deal out of nothing.
Erm, well it really doesn't matter... but if you really want to know then in my block there seems to be a normal amount, same around the Uni. I understand your concerns to a point but I don't agree that if you walk into a room every white person is going to judge you, if I meet a black person it doesn't even cross my mind they're black, I just carry on as usual... as pretty much everyone does.
I understand what you mean, but i'm not going to go to a university where i'm miserable.

As a university student who has dropped out of one from being miserable already - whether you are miserable at uni depends on hundreds of things, but the race of the people you are with is definitely not one of them, you'll be drowned out by international students anyway.
Original post by Millz
I use to go up to Sheffield and Huddersfield; there is a far amount of mix race people, as well as black people there. I do not know about the university, I am looking to go to York or Lancaster from London, and so I know how you feel. Nevertheless, try not to see it as a colour issue, but rather as people you will get on with and those you will not get on with, irrelevant of ones colour.

Yeah thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending