The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Tattoo Thread

Scroll to see replies

Booked in for a tattoo consultation at FMT, London, on Monday afternoon! This **** just got real :eek3:
Just finished off my 2nd full sleeve, SOOOOO happy with it. I think it comes to something like 40-45 hours combined across both arms (dotwork... LOL) and it's kind of just a relief that I can get on and do something else now :biggrin:.
Hello! So I think I've finally plucked up the courage to seriously get my first tattoo. I have some idea about what I want, but I'm trying to settle on a design and I have some questions

1) How do you design a tattoo? Obviously you have to get someone to draw ir for you, and you can find ideas on galleries but I don't want it to be a copy of anyone else's. This is a meaningful tattoo so it's quite important that I can be happy with how it looks if that makes sense

2) Is the top of my thigh an okay place for a first tattoo? I want it somewhere I can hide (parents don't like tattoos and I like being able to decide whether or not I want it on show...)

A lot of artistswill draw it for you, you give them your idea they draw it up :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Find an artist whose work you like and speak to them. They will take you ideas and design it all for you.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Booked in for a tattoo consultation at FMT, London, on Monday afternoon! This **** just got real :eek3:

Excellent! :biggrin:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Excellent! :biggrin:

Quite nervous, I have to say :colondollar:
Got that "I want a tattoo" itch right now... but I've had three in the last twelve months and even my tattoist said "Is this the last one now?" when I went last time :facepalm2: :tongue:
Original post by madders94
Got that "I want a tattoo" itch right now... but I've had three in the last twelve months and even my tattoist said "Is this the last one now?" when I went last time :facepalm2: :tongue:

I had my second part done a week ago and in already trying to figure out when I can fly back. My arm still hurts a little though but can see why people get addicted to tattoos, I'm already thinking about extending my 3/4 to a full sleeve :smile:.
What would you get when you get another one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NW86
As promised... finished photo from my knee session this evening, one sitting, fully complete, hurt like a muther ****er, seriously.

aa9c828ab9b311e2b2a722000aaa0952_7.jpg

edit: I think the promise was photos of the session.... I have some of those on my phone but not uploaded yet :smile:

dunno how i missed this but literally one of the raddest things i've seen
Original post by Shomberlon
I had my second part done a week ago and in already trying to figure out when I can fly back. My arm still hurts a little though but can see why people get addicted to tattoos, I'm already thinking about extending my 3/4 to a full sleeve :smile:.
What would you get when you get another one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to get some amalgamation of a butterfly and a music note on my wrist - quite small, because I want to work in education/hospitals so I want to be able to cover it if needs be :smile: It would only be a really little one haha :tongue:

As soon as the pain goes, I'm always thinking "What should I get next?", but I want to make sure it's something I really want rather than a "I want a tattoo, I'll get THAT one". I know I really want this one on my wrist, but I want to take my time and wait for it :smile:
Reply 591
Original post by ironandwine
dunno how i missed this but literally one of the raddest things i've seen

Cheers dude! Can't wait to get the next knee done, 1st week of July :smile:

Random question... Did you go to Slam Dunk over the weekend? Just from yoru avatar you look like someone who would have!
Hey, I wanted some advice on tattoos and this seems like the right place :smile:
Im 15, (gonna turn 16 in like a month) and I want to get tattoo done right after i turn 16.. So is 16 okay to get a tattoo? I sort of know what i want because its really meaningful to me. Ive read a lot about how teens should wait because their interests change and all but all i want is a tiny tattoo on the upper side of my left palm, between my thumb and first finger. Is it illegal to get a tattoo at 16? And I live in india but i want to go a professional who can listen to me and help me decide exactly what i want (though i have a vague idea) and Ive spoken to my parents and they are fine with it.
Thank you!
Reply 593
Original post by TurquoiseAngel
Hey, I wanted some advice on tattoos and this seems like the right place :smile:
Im 15, (gonna turn 16 in like a month) and I want to get tattoo done right after i turn 16.. So is 16 okay to get a tattoo? I sort of know what i want because its really meaningful to me. Ive read a lot about how teens should wait because their interests change and all but all i want is a tiny tattoo on the upper side of my left palm, between my thumb and first finger. Is it illegal to get a tattoo at 16? And I live in india but i want to go a professional who can listen to me and help me decide exactly what i want (though i have a vague idea) and Ive spoken to my parents and they are fine with it.
Thank you!

So I can't speak for India, but in the UK yes it's illegal under the Tattooing of Minors Act 1969 to tattoo someone under the age of 18 unless it is performed for medical reasons.

That said, they are many studios in the UK that would tattoo you without ID, and I'm sure the same would be in India.

I'm a big proponent of not thinking about tattoo's or getting tattoo's with too much meaning. Meaning does change, even as an adult so I tend to go for something I find aesthitically pleasing rather than trying to attribute meaning to it, for me "I think it looks ****ing cool" is enough meaning.

The only thing I would say, as someone who is pretty heavily tattoo'ed is starting with the hands I would suggest against, you may grow up to really not like tattoos as a form of art (irrellevant of meaning) and one on your hand will be visibile to you every day unless you wear gloves and unfortunetly people do discriminate against those with tattoos, even though they are becoming more popular. And palm tattoos will wear and tear a lot more and fade more quickly than one somewhere else on your body.

I'm intruiged as to what you want, you say you want something tiny, but have a vague idea and want somoen to help... The issue with tiny tattoos is the actual lack of details that can be included, and especially on your palm something that small will colour bleed and wear over time and if it's that small may well look a bit **** 4/5 years down the line.

Any other questions, fire away :smile:
So my design as it is needs to be bigger than I was anticipating, and thus will be more expensive too. They said it would take at least 4 hours to do :eek3:

I'm such a noob :emo:

Think I'm gonna have to ditch all the writing if I want it to be smaller and more affordable :ninja:
Reply 595
Is there anyway to remove a tattoo?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
So my design as it is needs to be bigger than I was anticipating, and thus will be more expensive too. They said it would take at least 4 hours to do :eek3:

I'm such a noob :emo:

Think I'm gonna have to ditch all the writing if I want it to be smaller and more affordable :ninja:

Personal opinion.... bigger is always better, you can go into a greater level of detail and shading with a bigger piece and then, I think, you come out witha better tattoo.

I appreciate though, 4 hours is probably quite an intimidating sitting for a first tattoo, so the apprehension is understandable.

All I would say is, I gradually started off small with my first tattoos about 9 years ago, I've never regretted getting something big, but there's quite a few I wish I had gone bigger with; and, as you potentially get more your opinion on what is "big" will change :smile:
Reply 597
Original post by lilmissshady
Is there anyway to remove a tattoo?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes... Laser treatment, although this is more expsnive than getting an actual tattoo, isn't always perfect, takes a long time and, is generally considered to be more painful than getting the tattoo in the first place.
Reply 598
Original post by NW86
Yes... Laser treatment, although this is more expsnive than getting an actual tattoo, isn't always perfect, takes a long time and, is generally considered to be more painful than getting the tattoo in the first place.

Will it leave scars??? Oh I got the tattoo for free! It hurt so much!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NW86
Personal opinion.... bigger is always better, you can go into a greater level of detail and shading with a bigger piece and then, I think, you come out witha better tattoo.

I appreciate though, 4 hours is probably quite an intimidating sitting for a first tattoo, so the apprehension is understandable.

All I would say is, I gradually started off small with my first tattoos about 9 years ago, I've never regretted getting something big, but there's quite a few I wish I had gone bigger with; and, as you potentially get more your opinion on what is "big" will change :smile:

Thanks for your advice - it's very much appreciated to hear from someone more experienced with these things :smile:

I suppose there are two reasons why I'm reluctant to go as big as they were thinking (which in the grand scheme of things isn't THAT big at all):

1. Need to be able to hide it from my parents :ninja:
2. More importantly, my skin is very spotty and so there isn't huge amounts of unpatchy skin. I had a look at my back today though and I think there might JUST about be enough :beard:

I will keep thinking. All thoughts and advice very much welcome from anyone :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest