The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Do I stand a chance at admission for UCL?

I'm currently an international student at NYU, just finished my first year of LSP. I'm thinking about enrolling in a UK university (my home country) as an international because I doubt I can fulfill the residency requirement. I'm looking at UCL English or Law but my scores are a bit below.
I have all 6's in my highers English, History and D.T. but for my standards I only got one 6 and a 4 and a 5 for spanish and geog respectively. In total I have 36 but they require 38. I went to the English department the other day and they basically said no unless I do something spectacular on the writing sample (in place of an interview).
I don't want to withdraw from NYU for a university that isn't as highly recognized but they are so strict here. I basically can't continue my education at NYU because it is too expensive, I'm probably going to take a year off and apply next year or maybe this year since they are still accepting internationals, or perhaps look into Canadian Universities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think your scores are bit low for the department.
Good job on NYU, but not Stern or Abu Dhabi, right?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
What are you going to do with an English degree?
Reply 3
Original post by sadhukar

and the prize for most helpful post goes to...:confused:
Reply 4
Original post by sundogs
and the prize for most helpful post goes to...:confused:

Haha, my thoughts exactly

I believe computer science graduates in this country have amongst the worst employment prospects of any degree subject. so congratualtions, you win today's ironic post prize.
Reply 6
Original post by mapomax
Haha, my thoughts exactly

:tongue:

To the OP, I don't know much about American/Canadian grading but I'd encourage you to contact the UCL admissions (the English department office staff are fantastic, especially Anita- i'm sure they could help you out)

Good luck

do i smell a fellow IB mindset?

that said, UCL will likely not be cheaper. You'll still be living in London, so accomodation will be equal to that of NYC, but living costs will still be higher. i imagine you want to save on the tuition - but international at UCL is still $20k, and you won't be able to save much of the remaining $20k because of accommodation, travel costs, etc.

i rejected UCL in favour of an american uni this year, because i calculated that it would be surprisingly cheaper.
Reply 8
Well UCL would still be cheaper than NYU, also I'm debating whether or not it's worth getting an American degree since I probably couldn't secure a work visa straight out of graduation and I can't afford Grad school there. I'd like to work in America at some point in the future but getting a degree in my home country seems more practical.
Reply 9
Original post by goodnightvienna

that said, UCL will likely not be cheaper. You'll still be living in London, so accomodation will be equal to that of NYC, but living costs will still be higher. i imagine you want to save on the tuition - but international at UCL is still $20k, and you won't be able to save much of the remaining $20k because of accommodation, travel costs, etc.

i rejected UCL in favour of an american uni this year, because i calculated that it would be surprisingly cheaper.

Are you American goodnight? If not then what Uni are you going to?
Original post by mapomax
Are you American goodnight? If not then what Uni are you going to?

nope)) going to smith college
Reply 11

But OP is still a UK citizen, so won't pay international fees afaik. It's only student finance that isn't available to UK nationals abroad. although new £9K fees is about $14k anyway...

international fees are $27k a year aren't they? (from looking on UCL site)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jake9
But OP is still a UK citizen, so won't pay international fees afaik. It's only student finance that isn't available to UK nationals abroad. although new £9K fees is about $14k anyway...

international fees are $27k a year aren't they? (from looking on UCL site)

more like $20k last time i checked?

and, if OP hasn't lived in the UK in the past 4-5 years, they don't qualify for home fees. equally, if a foreigner has lived in the EU for 4-5 years, they qualify for home fees regardless of nationality.
Reply 13
Original post by Chucklefiend

Original post by Chucklefiend
I believe computer science graduates in this country have amongst the worst employment prospects of any degree subject. so congratualtions, you win today's ironic post prize.

I wholeheartedly apologize for giving you guys the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't be giving such comments a positive rating.

But seriously.

Computer Science worst employment prospects? In what universe are you living in? A world where an english degree is useful, right? Please, pull up just 1 statistic which shows that an english degree has a higher median salary amongst graduates than a CS degree and I'll admit I'm wrong.

Otherwise I'll just regard you as an idiot from here on out. Btw, 3 positive ratings? oh well, you english graduates really should stick together; after all tough world out there when you wasted 3 years of your life on a pointless degree.

P.S. hiring rate =/= bad career prospects. McDonalds does occasionally headhunt around the English faculty after all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Yes it's about $20,000 , how much does it cost including room and board though? Also what do you think of my chances? Can you recommend me any Universities at about the same level as NYU? Thanks you guys have been a great help so far.

Computer Science worst employment prospects? In what universe are you living in? A world where an english degree is useful, right? Please, pull up just 1 statistic which shows that an english degree has a higher median salary amongst graduates than a CS degree and I'll admit I'm wrong.

Otherwise I'll just regard you as an idiot from here on out. Btw, 3 positive ratings? oh well, you english graduates really should stick together; after all tough world out there when you wasted 3 years of your life on a pointless degree.

P.S. hiring rate =/= bad career prospects. McDonalds does occasionally headhunt around the English faculty after all.

My statement was "Computer Science graduates in this country have amongst the worst employment prospects of any subject". As evidenced by:

http://thenextweb.com/uk/2010/07/02/the-least-employable-graduates-in-the-uk-computer-science-graduates/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10477551

:upyours:

Oh and FYI I study Chemistry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I wholeheartedly apologize for giving you guys the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't be giving such comments a positive rating.

But seriously.

You need to chill out brah. At the end of the day, an English grad can end up in just about any kind of job that doesn't require a vocational qualification. I don't know why you're hating on this subject, it's about as traditional, solid and academic as you can get.
computer science degrees? pah.

you, sir, with a cs degree, do the same thing as Jamal in india, except 75% more expensive. they're not bad prospects, but they're low-salary and they're getting outsourced.
Original post by mapomax
Yes it's about $20,000 , how much does it cost including room and board though? Also what do you think of my chances? Can you recommend me any Universities at about the same level as NYU? Thanks you guys have been a great help so far.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=970766 do your googlesearch, mate

according to the above, at the bottom end of the spectrum, if you have 90 pounds per week as rent, that's about 4500 pounds in rent a year, so thats $10k, plus flights, plus living expenses, booze nights and stuff

you're saving, but you're better off transferring to the U of Louisiana

on the plus side, you're allowed to drink
computer science degrees? pah.

you, sir, with a cs degree, do the same thing as Jamal in india, except 75% more expensive. they're not bad prospects, but they're low-salary and they're getting outsourced.

No. Technology will make skilled employees redundant. I will fire lawyers first. They can't keep pretending to be on par with doctors.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending