The Student Room Group

doubts about uni

im living in london at the moment and the first term has passed..iv made a lot of good friends but not any real concrete friends who i can really mess about with and have a laff with..everyone in my halls is really sensible and noone ever really goes out that much..and our halls our situated very far from the main uni so even going to the SU takes like 20-25 minutes. im not sure what to do because im enjoyin my course but when it comes to bein with my mates...i want there to be memorable times, times we can look back on...the typical kind of "messing about at uni" things...but with my mates they are all too sensible and dont like doing anything spontaneous....what should i do i have aslo being having second thoughts about london n maybe wish id have gon to sheffield or leeds....has anyone got any advice
Reply 1
Which uni do you go to?
It kinda depends on what you think the uni experience is all about. For some people you're there to get a degree and any good times over and above that are a bonus, for other people it's more a social experience where you just happen to be doing some work a few days a week.

If the people you live with aren't the kind of people you usually hang out with, try joining some clubs or societies or even mating up with some peeps from lectures to see if they're more your cup of tea. The distance is also a problem but you probably can't do much about that this year so if you decide to stay next year get a place nearer campus :biggrin: Do you think you'd like London any more if you made the sort of friends you could muck around with?
Reply 3
I agree societies and clubs are a great way to meet new people. Also, you should keep in mind that you have only known these people for a few months which is a relatively short period. Some people can take longer to get to know than others and maybe once they become more comfortable with you they will appear less "sensible" and become more fun. :smile:

I personally would stay at least another term and try to focus on the positives, such as liking your course. Mix with new people and allow friendships you've already made to develop. I'm sure you'll find people you like and start to have more fun :biggrin:
Campus universities are the way forward - it's like a student neighbourhood of fun!
Have you noticed how many threads there are on this forum from Freshers regarding non-concrete friends? This is not just coincidence, most people find it hard to make 'concrete-friends' in their first term at uni. Often Freshers compare their new friends to their best friends at home, who they've been through school with and shared many memorable and in most cases, life-changing moments. After the excitement of Freshers' Week has died down, you start to look beyond drunken jokes and want to make some more permanent friends. Don't worry about it for the moment - see how your second term goes and I'm sure you'll find some friends you feel more settled with.

Latest

Trending

Trending