The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by ras90
The system will work like it does in MOST countrys.

It is is simply.

Your mum is a classic case of somebody taking more out of the economy that she puts in.

Thats a bit harsh, she does sound quite ill :frown: I worry about my mum and she is in good physical health, I suppose I sympathise.
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
You know what that is sweetie? Life.

Don't condescend me.
There's a difference between working, supporting yourself and your family and doing something that is physically and mentally draining and unhealthy just to be able to feed your kids.
Reply 782
Original post by minimarshmallow
Celebrities and business people can afford expensive nannies to ensure their children have enriching childhoods. I'm talking people working minimum wage (presuming they have no qualifications and that's why they're studying as well as working etc.).
Thinking that working full time, then looking after children, then learning, then going to bed for 6 hours before getting up and doing it again with no time for yourself, social interaction outside of work or children or to make sure your children are properly enriched is difficult, bad for the children and can cause physical and mental exhaustion is not lazy, its realistic.

See the above poster, who, like me and many others, knows someone with kids who works, studies, is on an average to low income and still manages to stay alive and live a decent life. And we thought pigs couldnt fly, eh? :rolleyes:
Original post by ras90
The system will work like it does in MOST countrys.

It is is simply.

Your mum is a classic case of somebody taking more out of the economy that she puts in.

How?:s-smilie:
Reply 784
Original post by Iron Lady
With no hard feelings towards your family as a whole, your cousin represents everything I detest about how the welfare state has been abused:

Example of abusing opportunities.

Indicative of state of mind.

Now that is truly sickening. I've recently watched a documentary of child poverty in America (Panaroma so it is biased) but it goes to show unbelievably selfish some people are in the UK. There are families who cannot buy certain properties because they are out of their reach which is sensible to keep within your means, but it is mindblowing their self entitled attitude some people have. Just wow!

Unfortunately, this type of attitude will continue and it is likely her children will have a similar outlook. Not only is she recklessly abusing the taxpayers' money and her childrens' livelihood, she will face this situation for the rest of her life.

I agree completely! Yet my aunt seems to take pity on her, why i don't know, there is more stuff she does, for example she will deliberately spend her benefits and then say that if she doesn't get money she won't be able to get the baby clothes etc. it's terrible, and you're right, it really is sickening the way she acts and how she has such a low knowledge of the real world and the hardships some have to go through in this country. Furthermore, what you said about her children being the same i agree with as well, the children have no positive influences, how will they view her when they are old enough to judge and have their own opinions? It's a shame, but what can the average joe do?
Original post by Chloe xxx
See the above poster, who, like me and many others, knows someone with kids who works, studies, is on an average to low income and still manages to stay alive and live a decent life. And we thought pigs couldnt fly, eh? :rolleyes:

And I know someone who works two part-time jobs as well as doing a full time masters who recently had to take two weeks off all three of those because her doctor said if she continued to work as she was her physical exhaustion would get so bad she would have to be hospitalised.
We can all come up with anecdotes to support our arguments.

Edit: Also, benefits exist to help these people. But you keep saying they shouldn't take your hard earned cash.
(edited 12 years ago)
Celebrities and business people can afford expensive nannies to ensure their children have enriching childhoods. I'm talking people working minimum wage (presuming they have no qualifications and that's why they're studying as well as working etc.).
Thinking that working full time, then looking after children, then learning, then going to bed for 6 hours before getting up and doing it again with no time for yourself, social interaction outside of work or children or to make sure your children are properly enriched is difficult, bad for the children and can cause physical and mental exhaustion is not lazy, its realistic.

The average nanny salary is £300-£600npw for a live out, 250-450npw for a live in. I think your thinking about Aupairs, they are unqualified and live for "pocket money" in exchange for 20/25 hours work a week.
Don't condescend me.
There's a difference between working, supporting yourself and your family and doing something that is physically and mentally draining and unhealthy just to be able to feed your kids.

It's nothing permanent. Most parents work 10/12 hours a day. You would be studying to better your career prospects. Study harder, the quicker it happens.

You could commit to an hour a week, but you'll still be sat there on your 50th birthday trying to better your life.
The average nanny salary is £300-£600npw for a live out, 250-450npw for a live in. I think your thinking about Aupairs, they are unqualified and live for "pocket money" in exchange for 20/25 hours work a week.

40 hours a week at minimum wage is £243.20, with rent, food etc. there's hardly enough money left for a nanny. Nursery childcare and after-school clubs are expensive enough.
40 hours a week at minimum wage is £243.20, with rent, food etc. there's hardly enough money left for a nanny. Nursery childcare and after-school clubs are expensive enough.

You can get benefits to pay for child care.

Depends on the area you live in. Most nannies working a 50 hour week here in London are paid £11nph. Nothing to be sniffed at. Thats more than a NQTs salary.
It's nothing permanent. Most parents work 10/12 hours a day. You would be studying to better your career prospects. Study harder, the quicker it happens.

You could commit to an hour a week, but you'll still be sat there on your 50th birthday trying to better your life.

Yeah, you would work and get your qualifications, risk serious physical and mental exhaustion; and probably still not be able to get a better job, because we circle back round to there not being enough jobs, even for qualified people with degrees.
Original post by OU Student
You can get benefits to pay for child care.

I know, I'm happy you do. But Chloe xxx and NYprincessmaddie don't want people taking any of their hard earned cash - of which these childcare benefits are.
Depends on the area you live in. Most nannies working a 50 hour week here in London are paid £11nph. Nothing to be sniffed at. Thats more than a NQTs salary.

I'm talking about someone trying to pay for a nanny, not someone working as a nanny. Plus you generally need an NVQ Level 3 to work as a nanny/childminder, and you need a placement to be able to get the qualification.
I know, I'm happy you do. But Chloe xxx and NYprincessmaddie don't want people taking any of their hard earned cash - of which these childcare benefits are.

Apart from child benefit, which everyone in the country is entitled too, you have to be working to claim these benefits. There for, technically, it is your money just as much as it is mine.
Reply 795
Your example highlights the problem of the welfare system, that people earn more on benefits then they do being employed on minimum wage. Which results in there being little incentives for the unemployed. Although the figures don't quite seem to add up, are you including taxes in the income?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 796

No, its not about that. Its about not allowing people to laze around and breed more lazes who will follow their example. Teach people to get off their backside, work or study and do something with their life. Then they can have their benefits, same as EMA where you enrol in college, have to prove your attendance then get paid a (reduced) amount of benefit for yourself and your kids. Give people some incentive to get off their backsides and make a career.
Apart from child benefit, which everyone in the country is entitled too, you have to be working to claim these benefits. There for, technically, it is your money just as much as it is mine.

Well you didn't say that from the start. You said people shouldn't be claiming benefits, they should work for their money, just like you did, because you never claimed a penny.
Original post by Chloe xxx
No, its not about that. Its about not allowing people to laze around and breed more lazes who will follow their example. Teach people to get off their backside, work or study and do something with their life. Then they can have their benefits, same as EMA where you enrol in college, have to prove your attendance then get paid a (reduced) amount of benefit for yourself and your kids. Give people some incentive to get off their backsides and make a career.

Exactly Chloe...

You don't have to be working to claim child tax credits.

Latest

Trending

Trending