The Student Room Group

Paramedic Course

Hey People,
I am new to this and am just wondering if all paramedic courses want you to have a driving license. I know to drive an ambulance you need a c1 category license.
I have found the odd uni which says you dont but I dont know if not having one will put me at a disadvantage.
Thanks will be very grateful for some help :smile:
You are Unemployable as a paramedic without a Full driving licence, most NHS services want C1.
Original post by zippyRN
You are Unemployable as a paramedic without a Full driving licence, most NHS services want C1.

This.

Even allied health professionals have to have a driving licence for most positions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I understand that you need a driving license and a c1 extension to be employed as a paramedic but i was planning on taking that whilst at uni. I was just wondering if anyone had managed to take a paramedic course without a driving license.
Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by x_stevenx
I understand that you need a driving license and a c1 extension to be employed as a paramedic but i was planning on taking that whilst at uni. I was just wondering if anyone had managed to take a paramedic course without a driving license.
Thanks for the help :smile:

Even if you do manage to find a university that accepts you without a driving licence, with the nature of most paramedic science courses being intensive and requiring a high level of dedication, I would imagine it would be very hard to find time to fit in learning to drive, taking your theory test and passing your practical whilst on the course.

Like others have said, you're basically unemployable as a paramedic if you don't have a driving licence. My advice to you would be to pass your driving test and get your full driving licence before you start university, it would be one major weight of your shoulders and would allow you to fully concentrate on your studies.
Reply 5
Ok thanks for the help, I do see how it would be a major lift of my shoulders.
Well as soon as I turn 17 I will try pass within a year before I start uni.
Thanks everyone for all the help.
I know a lot of Paramedic students who have struggled to get their C1 whilst on the course never mind pass their driving test and get their C1. Plus think of the costs involved. Learning to drive isn't cheap plus the C1 costs around £1k. Then you will have to pay to live whilst and uni, and get to placements which can be miles and miles away with start times that don't work with public transport meaning at many unis although they don't specify a driving licence you won't last long without one.

Quick Reply

Latest