The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance - The Mega Info Thread

We seem to get a lot of threads throughout the Universities forum that are about St John Ambulance or LINKS.

I therefore think it should be a good idea to make a thread that TSR users can use as a digest if they want to join St John Ambulance or thier universities LINKS group/Society.

I am Jonathan and I am a member of St John Ambulance , I currently act as a First Aider at the Ealing Unit in the London District. I am fully qualified to treat and I am soon going to apply for my City and Guilds training to become a First Aid Trainer within SJA.

I would appreciate it if other SJA members would like to share thier 2 pence worth on this thread to contribute to the thread and the subsequent Wiki page that I am going to set up.

MOST , IF NOT ALL OF THE INFORMATION IN THIS OP IS BASED ON ST JOHN AMBULANCE (THE MAIN ORGAINISATION) AND NOT LINKS. THIS IS AS I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE OF LINKS AS OF YET. I WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATIVE IF SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A BIT ABOUT LINKS AND HOW IT OPERATES COULD GET IN TOUCH OR ADD SOMETHING HERE ON THE THREAD FOR ME. MANY THANKS. :smile:

ANYTHING MARKED WITH AN ASTERIX * IS APPLICABLE TO LONDON

ANYTHING MARKED WITH A HASH # IS CORRECT AS OF THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL OP AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

How do I apply to St John Ambulance?

Now things can differ from District to District. I am in London District so I shall tell you how it usually happens here but to be honest it hould be the same everywhere:

You go to the St John website here

You then look for your area on the homepage using the interactive features.

You should contact the district or your local unit. If you can find the details for your unit. You can ring them up or email but I found email to be much better.

If you are in London*, go to the bottom and find the name and email of the contact who you need to get in touch with. #

If you want the Registration paperwork to sign up to St John drop me a PM with your email address and I will get back to you and send the paperwork as an attachement.

You then go along to the Registration evening at the nearest St John unit which holds them.

( For London it is probably the Ealing or Crystal Palace divisions usually. *#)

They then process your paperwork with your ID and proofs of address. You only need proof of your current address but for the Enhanced CRB check you will need to give them all of your past and current addresses within the last 6 years and any names that you have used or any alias within the last 6 years too. Although they probably won't find out if you may have missed out one little name or address , don't do it as it is a criminal offence and you (presumably) should have nothing to hide. So use your brain!

They give you the time and dates for your 7 week basic First Aid training. This is called Pathway!

:afro: Congratualations!!! You are a member of St John Ambulance :afro:

Have a cup of tea and call your mum, Aunt Mabel and even the BBC! :biggrin:

The Long road through Pathway :auto:

Pathway and the subsequent test which comes up 7 weeks after is piss easy! They want you to be safe and competent , hence the training and stringent checks and they want you to pass at the same time.

Pathway lasts for 7-8 weeks. You meet up once a week and learn First Aid. The sessions are only two hours and are very fun. They are packed with a lot but they are not all that demanding, so your brain won't feel like roadkill and you won't feel as if you wasted 2 hours that you could have spent watching Eastenders and loling at the H&R trolls on TSR. :troll:

Pathway teaches you everything from Bandages to Strokes to Seizures to Heart Attacks, Heat Stroke,Choking and even using an AED and more. Pathway usually is carried out by two trainers.

When Pathway is done you then go out to meet your unit leader at your new division. On the last evening of Pathway , you sign your paperwork and MAKE SURE YOU DID YOUR TWO DAY INDUCTION COURSE PRIOR TO LEAVING (As it is tricky to get onto an induction course when you are a current member for quite a while as opposed to a noob First Aider) They give you the details of your unit it's up to you to go to your first meeting at your division/unit.

:bl:[Congratulations!!!! You are now a First Aider at St John Ambulance!!! :bumps:

At the Unit! :awesome:

You meet and get aquainted with your unit leader, then you should recieve your Uniform and ID Card. As long as your Health Declaration, Form, CRB and two identity references come back clearly.

Then you meet other St John members and should ask for a St John email and a login to DIPS (The system used by London District and several other counties for giving information about duties and operations.)

How long after Pathway can I get stuck in

Well straight away if possible :biggrin:

I left Pathway on the Tuesday.
Went to my unit on the Thursday
and was at the Pitshanger Fun Run providing First Aid on the Saturday Morning.

Are there any minimum commitments

No. Not really. As long as you attend at least 1 or 2 meetings every month , you should be fine. If you say don't go to lots of meetings or a few and there is no reason, you may find yourself getting a friendly phone call or letter from the unit leader just to check if you are ok and all is well. I have a 99.9% attendance myself. I have also seen many people get away with just attending meetings and
not doing a single duty. They get on fine.

I am in London..... Any contacts?

For London District you want to speak to Noura Atour and her email is [email protected] and she can get in touch.

To book a two day induction course: Ring up the London District office and ask for Cynthia

I got more questions

Well PM me if you want or leave your questions here. Really this thread is for people to read the OP and add any more info but you are more than welcome to post more questions here in order to keep it easy on my inbox.

Can I have the registration forms and further information on the roles within St John?

PM me with your email address and I will send them to you as an attachment. Please do not be foolish and leave your email address here where any Tom, Dick and Harry can see it. You could get spammed and be open to Phishing attacks.

Thanks for reading and Good Luck :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hygeia
X

Do you think we can Sticky this thread? Because it may become helpfull to someone/some people or should it be in a different forum
Reply 2
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Do you think we can Sticky this thread? Because it may become helpfull to someone/some people or should it be in a different forum

It would probably be better placed in the Volunteering forum I would have thought.
:ditto:

I'd welcome a SJA wiki page to be added to the medicine archive though Agent Smirnoff if you're still planning on doing that :yep:

Also, saw that you have assigned yourself the task of updating the info on one of the pages... good luck with that! :penguinhug:
Reply 4
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:ditto:

I'd welcome a SJA wiki page to be added to the medicine archive though Agent Smirnoff if you're still planning on doing that :yep:

Also, saw that you have assigned yourself the task of updating the info on one of the pages... good luck with that! :penguinhug:

Thanks Penguin! That's why I assigned you as Lord Updater :smile:

Oh you mean the "Applying for Medicine whilst on a different course" wiki. Yeah. Because I have a lot of things in life in general to do , it will probably be a long and drawn out process , mainly because a few take ages to get back to individual enquiries.

awww thanks :penguinhug:
I'm a member of St Johns Ambulance too :biggrin:
I started from early march and finished mid may
then i joined my division unit around june.

my ID card hasnt come through and so has my uniform; so i havent gone out yet
Thanks Penguin! That's why I assigned you as Lord Updater :smile:

Oh you mean the "Applying for Medicine whilst on a different course" wiki. Yeah. Because I have a lot of things in life in general to do , it will probably be a long and drawn out process , mainly because a few take ages to get back to individual enquiries.

awww thanks :penguinhug:

Haha yes.. you assigned me :tongue:
Well I hope you approve the recent changes and the arrival of the 2012 page boss :colone:

You're probably best off writing one e-mail then sending it to the various uni's at once.. you can even see which one replies first :lol:

But yeah, good luck :thumbsup:
Reply 7
I joined, but it's so unorganised no one told me what i'm supposed to do and all the members are a lot older than me so don't really talk to me
Done one duty. Got stalked by man making ambulance noises.
Original post by ??????????????????

Yeah sorry about that :flute:

I wonder if we can have a 'SJA stories thread' or if that belongs more in chat/volunteering :beard:

I wonder if we can have a 'SJA stories thread' or if that belongs more in chat/volunteering :beard:

Why do we need a Sarah Jane Adventures story thread? :flute:
Reply 11
Original post by The Polar Dude
I'm a member of St Johns Ambulance too :biggrin:
I started from early march and finished mid may
then i joined my division unit around june.

my ID card hasnt come through and so has my uniform; so i havent gone out yet

I have been out already loads of times without my ID card, which unit do you go to?

Buggering idiots did not return my references in time so I have no choice but not to return until the crapwads return my reference

Haha yes.. you assigned me :tongue:
Well I hope you approve the recent changes and the arrival of the 2012 page boss :colone:

You're probably best off writing one e-mail then sending it to the various uni's at once.. you can even see which one replies first :lol:

But yeah, good luck :thumbsup:

Yeah and don't you forget it :smug:

OI!! WHERE IS YOUR BLOODY LORD UPDATER TITLE :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I do approve :smile:

I will because those buggers can take an awfull long time to reply.

Reply 12

Hahaha I'm sorry but that's hilarious.
Reply 13
I have been out already loads of times without my ID card, which unit do you go to?

Buggering idiots did not return my references in time so I have no choice but not to return until the crapwads return my reference

I forgot my ID and my Oyster card on my duty. Ended up borrowing £8 which I forgot to pay back and they didn't mind me not having ID as the adult vouched for me.
Original post by Beska
Hahaha I'm sorry but that's hilarious.

Yeah. Football fans can be very cruel :frown:
Why do we need a Sarah Jane Adventures story thread? :flute:

Haha I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt :colonhash:

It's a bit redundant atm don't you think? :tongue:
I'll think of a new title tomorrow, cba tonight :lazy:

Original post by Renal

Reply 16

LOL. Was he drunk or did he like ambulances? :teehee:

Probably Chat. Hey are you SJA too? Why not set up a thread there and link us to it. After all I am doing a lot. I am answering floods of PM's about SJA and LINKS. Will give rep.

Original post by Renal

WTF?

I forgot my ID and my Oyster card on my duty. Ended up borrowing £8 which I forgot to pay back and they didn't mind me not having ID as the adult vouched for me.

Yeah. Football fans can be very cruel :frown:

LOL. That sucks but I am in a ten times as worse position im afraid. I have been given my marching orders effectively and my position is uncertain all because of some ****wad schools who cannot even make a simple reference. It is completely ludicrous. I should have tackled obtaining references in a better way tbh.

Haha I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt :colonhash:

It's a bit redundant atm don't you think? :tongue:
I'll think of a new title tomorrow, cba tonight :lazy:

Go on then :colonhash:

LOL. :laugh:

You are now High Sheriff of the Wiki :smile:
LOL. Was he drunk or did he like ambulances? :teehee:

LOL. That sucks but I am in a ten times as worse position im afraid. I have been given my marching orders effectively and my position is uncertain all because of some ****wad schools who cannot even make a simple reference. It is completely ludicrous. I should have tackled obtaining references in a better way tbh.

I came from an Arsenal game (yay) so could be drunk. However his maneuvering was too good for a drunk. He first spotted the uniform at the underground as I waited for the tube and circled me making ambulance noises and pretending to steer. Then on the train he was mouthing the siren noises at me D:
Reply 18
I came from an Arsenal game (yay) so could be drunk. However his maneuvering was too good for a drunk. He first spotted the uniform at the underground as I waited for the tube and circled me making ambulance noises and pretending to steer. Then on the train he was mouthing the siren noises at me D:

Maybe he really likes St John First Aiders :sexface:

Try and see if you have that effect on a girl and you're in business :laugh:

I go to the Wembley Unit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending