The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How respected is Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm an 'Edim-braah' pronouncer and I'm from Aberdeen. And I roll my Rs ^_^

and in answer to how respected Edinburgh is, I reckon it's got more to do with where else you're applying. Out of the four unis I applied to, it and St Andrews were the most respected but then again UCL and Oxbridge weren't even on my radar :P
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 61
Original post by jdsure
Edinburgh is not what it used to be...

Someone else remembers The Apprentice from three years ago!
Original post by LadyRowena
The international tables (particularly QRS) put loads of emphasis on research and, as Manchester is the largest university in the country, its research budget is immense.

Fair enough, seriously considering applying, just because of its rep alone.
Original post by alexs2602
I never said Edinburgh wasn't a good university, it's great, but do you realise how good OP's GPA is? It, iirc, is enough for any university she wants. I'd have to find out more about her APs but she sounds like a serious Oxbridge contender. So why should she bother with any uni outside the top 5? Edinburgh isn't top 5, can you admit that? It's not even top 10.

The university will let in anyone who is half decent provided they'll pay international fees. It even says so in the prospectus! If you're judging universities based on admissions criteria then you really are a muppet.

mckinnon94
The way the guy below said it "Edin-burra" and that he couldn't think of a better way to put it...I would still say it is "edin-bruh" but it's like we put emphasis on the b flowing into the R so it can sound like "burra" a bit, but it's definitely closer to bruh.

I agree - it's somewhere in between. As far as I'm concerned, "bruh" / "burra" / "bruah" are all dialectal but correct. "boro" is wrong.
Typical Edinburgh offer seems to be about 3.1GPA, OP is 3.9 which isnt just a little bit better than 3.1, it's a lot better. I frequent the American thread, do you?

Typical A level offer for Edinburgh is supposedly BBB but that doesn't mean the average A level grades of freshers is BBB. It's merely the minimum required and most people would probably exceed this.

Also, Edinburgh is lenient to International students - their dealings with them are not an accurate reflection on the whole University. As said above - anyone who meets a low requirement and can pay international fees is likely to get a place. This says nothing of the academic rigour of the actual learning environment - just shows that Unis need money

It may well be that OP exceeds the requirements and would excel at Edinburgh, but I don't think she'd be in any way held back significantly compared to going to a "top 10" university as you call it - which is a dubious notion anyway. (Top 10 regarding what? General prestige? Specific subjects? Or just according to any old newspaper ranking?)

Also OP - Oxford will ignore your transcript and focus on standardised tests (Mainly APs). So while 3.9 GPA will look impressive, I don't think it will be given much weight.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
The university will let in anyone who is half decent provided they'll pay international fees. It even says so in the prospectus! If you're judging universities based on admissions criteria then you really are a muppet.

:facepalm1: I'm saying OP should consider more than just Edinburgh, is that so bad? Are you so arrogant to say that you think OP should totally ignore every other choice?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
I never said Edinburgh wasn't a good university, it's great, but do you realise how good OP's GPA is? It, iirc, is enough for any university she wants. I'd have to find out more about her APs but she sounds like a serious Oxbridge contender. So why should she bother with any uni outside the top 5? Edinburgh isn't top 5, can you admit that? It's not even top 10.

Ranking tables? If so, don't make me laugh. Ranking tables are rough at best...

I'm not sure where you're sudden liking for rankings is coming from. Either you accept that University rankings are valid, or not.

3.9 is a truly excellent GPA, and certainly offers a chance at almost any university worldwide, but it doesn't grant automatic access. But the OP must have some interest in the University, otherwise she wouldn't ask. Others offered positive opinions and you seem to have an issue with Edinburgh. I'm not sure why you're getting so incensed that Edinburgh students and graduates are proud of where we study or studied.
:facepalm1: I'm saying OP should consider more than just Edinburgh, is that so bad? Are you so arrogant to say that you think OP should totally ignore every other choice?

No. I'm saying the OP should ignore your advice because it is inaccurate. As NN says, the OP came to the University of Edinburgh subforum to ask this question, so they clearly have an interest.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Typical A level offer for Edinburgh is supposedly BBB but that doesn't mean the average A level grades of freshers is BBB. It's merely the minimum required and most people would probably exceed this.

Also, Edinburgh is lenient to International students - their dealings with them are not an accurate reflection on the whole University. As said above - anyone who meets a low requirement and can pay international fees is likely to get a place. This says nothing of the academic rigour of the actual learning environment - just shows that Unis need money

It may well be that OP exceeds the requirements and would excel at Edinburgh, but I don't think she'd be in any way held back significantly compared to going to a "top 10" university as you call it - which is a dubious notion anyway. (Top 10 regarding what? General prestige? Specific subjects? Or just according to any old newspaper ranking?)

Also OP - Oxford will ignore your transcript and focus on standardised tests (Mainly APs). So while 3.9 GPA will look impressive, I don't think it will be given much weight.

Finally a sane arguement.
Agreed

I've gathered that. I don't exactly support that attitude but that's beside the point.

I suppose it depends how you define held back. Personally; I believe in getting the best possible academics and not settling for any less than you can get. Specific subjects. General prestige is just general so a little useless, newspaper rankings are useless as are most others. A top 10 as you rightly state is dubious as it is but with the right info you can normally get a rough list.

Yeah, I can see that. It's hard to tell what Oxford would prefer. Generally OP's APs are pretty decent but another 5 and no 3 would undoubtedly get her foot in the door.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
No. I'm saying the OP should ignore your advice because it is inaccurate. As NN says, the OP came to the University of Edinburgh subforum to ask this question, so they clearly have an interest.

Lol, I think what you mean is OP has heard of Edinburgh like how we may have heard of the University of Stockholm. In that way we may think it's a good university but because that's the only one we may have heard we have no way of telling otherwise. Of course, I may be wrong but it's very common to consider a university abroad and even domestically because it's all we're familiar with. That doesnt mean we should apply there or that's even a good idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NeoNerd
I'm not sure where you're sudden liking for rankings is coming from. Either you accept that University rankings are valid, or not.

3.9 is a truly excellent GPA, and certainly offers a chance at almost any university worldwide, but it doesn't grant automatic access. But the OP must have some interest in the University, otherwise she wouldn't ask. Others offered positive opinions and you seem to have an issue with Edinburgh. I'm not sure why you're getting so incensed that Edinburgh students and graduates are proud of where we study or studied.

Sudden liking? You misunderstand me, a lot. Most ranking tables published online or in newspapers are usually very rough. However, I do believe a better even if still relatively rough ranking can be built up.

Being proud is one thing, ignoring that your university isn't the best is another. I love my chosen university, I'm proud of it but I'm not stupid enough to not suggest that someone should apply elsewhere if they're capable.
Of course, I may be wrong

You are.
Reply 72
Sudden liking? You misunderstand me, a lot. Most ranking tables published online or in newspapers are usually very rough. However, I do believe a better even if still relatively rough ranking can be built up.

Being proud is one thing, ignoring that your university isn't the best is another. I love my chosen university, I'm proud of it but I'm not stupid enough to not suggest that someone should apply elsewhere if they're capable.

I know Edinburgh isn't the best at everything. No university worldwide is 'the best'. I'd challenge you to find a better Scots Law course worldwide than at Edinburgh, but for all I know, there are hundreds of other universities with a better academic ranking in other subject areas.

But what I can't understand is why you care so much. We've all got your point - you don't really think much of the University of Edinburgh. Fine. Why are you repeatedly posting in the University of Edinburgh sub-forum to tell us how silly we are for liking our university and recommending it?

Ultimately, we chose Edinburgh, in some cases over universities you consider to be far superior. We all had a great time, and are working towards or have a great degree. Edinburgh is a fantastic city to live in, for hundreds of reasons beside the University. Scotland is a fantastic place to live in general.
Reply 73
Aaaah, ok, sorry, for my slight misinterpretation, I did say I wasn't completely familiar with the system however that's pretty decent, good enough for a lot of universities. You could still apply to pretty much wherever you wanted, you probably want to add one or two more 5s to that. After that I'd say it's a bit pointless. You still might want to consider Oxbridge; you have to remember that most British students don't have their qualifications until the July or August before they start.

You may want to email Oxbridge regardless.

Right I'm hoping they'll take into consideration the APs I'll have by next year, since most British students don't have them by that time, either. But I doubt they'll consider me beside more qualified Americans. The sad thing is, I made a slight time miscalculation on my best AP and ended up with a 4 :frown: But, Edinburgh doesn't seem all that bad. Thanks for all your help :smile:
Original post by NeoNerd
I know Edinburgh isn't the best at everything. No university worldwide is 'the best'. I'd challenge you to find a better Scots Law course worldwide than at Edinburgh, but for all I know, there are hundreds of other universities with a better academic ranking in other subject areas.

But what I can't understand is why you care so much. We've all got your point - you don't really think much of the University of Edinburgh. Fine. Why are you repeatedly posting in the University of Edinburgh sub-forum to tell us how silly we are for liking our university and recommending it?

Ultimately, we chose Edinburgh, in some cases over universities you consider to be far superior. We all had a great time, and are working towards or have a great degree. Edinburgh is a fantastic city to live in, for hundreds of reasons beside the University. Scotland is a fantastic place to live in general.

I've said several times I think it's a great university I just don't think it's a top 10. I think it's more like a top 15 or top 20. Nothing wrong with that. OP however should aim for top 10, probably top 5. By all means OP should apply to Edinburgh if that's what she wants but she should also consider universities outside of Scotland so she has the full picture before making such a life changing decision. It's a classic mistake to only consider the universities you know a country for.

By all means like it but not offering OP other opinions seems unfair to me.
Original post by tite23
Right I'm hoping they'll take into consideration the APs I'll have by next year, since most British students don't have them by that time, either. But I doubt they'll consider me beside more qualified Americans. The sad thing is, I made a slight time miscalculation on my best AP and ended up with a 4 :frown: But, Edinburgh doesn't seem all that bad. Thanks for all your help :smile:

Sorry for the ****storm btw. By all means apply there, just didnt think you should apply without considering other options too. Take a look at that list I mentioned and work from there. Don't forget Cardiff and St Andrews too, don't believe I mentioned those last time...
Reply 76
Sorry for the ****storm btw. By all means apply there, just didnt think you should apply without considering other options too. Take a look at that list I mentioned and work from there. Don't forget Cardiff and St Andrews too, don't believe I mentioned those last time...

No it's fine lol - I'm a bit flattered you think I'm worthy for better than Edinburgh. Thanks for giving me information on other possibilities because you're right, I'm considering applying pretty much solely on what I've heard from Americans, who probably don't know that much about it in the first place.
Original post by tite23
No it's fine lol - I'm a bit flattered you think I'm worthy for better than Edinburgh. Thanks for giving me information on other possibilities because you're right, I'm considering applying pretty much solely on what I've heard from Americans, who probably don't know that much about it in the first place.

I didnt want to assume in case I was wrong but a lot of people do that. British people are just/almost as guilty of picking a university based on region, though less so on this forum for obvious reasons. I would be just as critical of a British student who only applied to only London unis(of which I know quite a few and suggested other universities - though it mostly fell on deaf ears). I reckon you should at least consider top 10. Maybe 2 or 3 top 10s and a couple of top 20s.
Reply 78
Original post by PagowenTheGreat
Why was I negged for this? :eek:

I didn't neg you but it's amusing that you omitted LSE and Warwick.
Reply 79
I've said several times I think it's a great university I just don't think it's a top 10. I think it's more like a top 15 or top 20. Nothing wrong with that. OP however should aim for top 10, probably top 5. By all means OP should apply to Edinburgh if that's what she wants but she should also consider universities outside of Scotland so she has the full picture before making such a life changing decision. It's a classic mistake to only consider the universities you know a country for.

By all means like it but not offering OP other opinions seems unfair to me.

You offered your opinion, and we offered a counterpoint. Promoting Edinburgh doesn't mean we're unaware of it's standing, and that others are better for many things.

It's just frustrating to have someone who's never experienced Edinburgh student life telling others not to come here, because it's great, but notthat great. If I were to go to the Nottingham sub-forum to tell prospective students not to go to Nottingham, despite having no experience of Nottingham whatsoever, I think I might get a similar response to what you did.

But, internet bickering has never got anybody anywhere. I wish you good luck with your application to Nottingham. I also wish you a good three years (I think that's how many you do in England, isn't it?) of University life. It's not all about academia, you know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending