The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lell
Hello! I think I need to join! I'm not overweight and don't need to lose any weight but I'm not entirely happy with my body and how I feel. I'm shattered all the time because of my poor diet and I want to remedy this and perhaps tone up/lose half a stone in the process.

So here's me: I'm 25, just finished uni, working in my first job (luckily haven't gained any weight but the office biscuits aren't particularly healthy) and I enjoy running (subject to the horrendous bouts of sciatica I get from time to time). I weigh about 9 stone (a few pounds heavier than this time last year) and I'm about 5 foot 2.

Anyway my main aim is really to feel a bit healthier and 'lighter' and have more energy through eating good food and maintaining a regular exercise regime. Am finding it hard to do on my own as I'm like 'oh I'll run, a couple of biscuits won't hurt'...but a banana would be better and wouldn't make me sugar crash!

So I'll join! If that's OK :smile:

So as a start today I've had porridge for breakfast with some honey. Can anyone recommend tasty, healthy toppings for porridge? Usually I douse it in demerara...hm. Am going to attempt a run in an hour or so, but we'll see as running injuries are niggling following a run two nights ago.

Welcome! Of course you can join, everyone's welcome here.

As for porridge, I find that nuts are nice sprinkled on top, or even raspberries but that's a bit of an acquired tasted, lol.

I hope you find that we're able to help you to reach your goals!
Reply 3981
Original post by Lell

So as a start today I've had porridge for breakfast with some honey. Can anyone recommend tasty, healthy toppings for porridge? Usually I douse it in demerara...hm. Am going to attempt a run in an hour or so, but we'll see as running injuries are niggling following a run two nights ago.

Raisins? I know they're not that healthy but they're still fruit and add sweetness :P I buy those mini boxes you can get to control the portion as they are quite calorific!
I'm really worried about my younger brother. He's 15, 6'5'', and weighs 9 stone. He's always been relatively slim, but his BMI is 15. Surely this is ridiculous? He used to eat a lot (and I mean a lot) and just maintain his weight, so we just assumed that was the way he was. But now, he's starting to restrict food like I do. If I turn down dessert, so will he, and then he'll be very defensive if we explain to him why I'm restricting, and why he doesn't need to.

I feel guilty because I'm the one who's brought the whole concept of restriction into the family, but I can't start eating more just so that he will- because then I'll be an unhealthy weight again!

Anyone got any experience of maybe the onset/triggers of an eating disorder? Just because I'm worried as he doesn't need to restrict at all.
You know what. I've had a terrible week (as I've said previously), but I've arrived home for reading week and already been told by 2 people that I'm looking better and like I'm losing weight.
I guess despite one bad week, things aren't ruined :smile: Time to get on with it.
Reply 3984
Thanks for the welcome :smile: I'll try raisins, sounds tasty and raspberries too. And maybe blueberries! I'm not sure about nuts though, I like something sweet in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions:smile:

Went for that run, 3.5 miles. Was a bit slower than a run I did two nights ago but I had an awful bout of shooting pains after so I thought I'd take it slowly today.
Reply 3985
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm really worried about my younger brother. He's 15, 6'5'', and weighs 9 stone. He's always been relatively slim, but his BMI is 15. Surely this is ridiculous? He used to eat a lot (and I mean a lot) and just maintain his weight, so we just assumed that was the way he was. But now, he's starting to restrict food like I do. If I turn down dessert, so will he, and then he'll be very defensive if we explain to him why I'm restricting, and why he doesn't need to.

I feel guilty because I'm the one who's brought the whole concept of restriction into the family, but I can't start eating more just so that he will- because then I'll be an unhealthy weight again!

Anyone got any experience of maybe the onset/triggers of an eating disorder? Just because I'm worried as he doesn't need to restrict at all.

Oh dear :erm: I don't know what you can do but maybe these people will be helpful. Good luck!

Also, he probably didn't eat as much as you think. There's always people on here who say they eat loads but it turns out it's just junk and the calorie content isn't there.

Maybe you could explain to him that what you are doing is eating a healthy diet, and it's great if he wants to do that too - but it has to be healthy for him, and your requirements are different. It could be that he's turning down pudding etc because he's realised it's unhealthy - so what you need to do is get him to have the calories from a healthier source (eg get him to snack on nuts). So sit down and create a meal plan that has enough calories (2500?) and the right proportion of fat/ carbs etc and enough nutrients. Then you two can stick to your 'diets' together even though they are different.
Anyone who's having cravings for cake, don't open this spoiler..

That's what I've done with the past couple of hours instead of doing uni work! Mmmmmm. (G is my initial, by the way, lol).
What cravings do people get? I always used to think I had a sweet tooth but I've been craving savoury things now! Crisps, bread etc...
Original post by SoapyDish
What cravings do people get? I always used to think I had a sweet tooth but I've been craving savoury things now! Crisps, bread etc...

I always crave savory rather than sweet. I think it's a hell of a lot worse.
I want things like toast, burgers, battered prawns. Gah!
Reply 3989
Pretty bad day, not gonna lie. I'm going to use the excuse that I have really bad stomach cramps today, and get back on it tomorrow.
Reply 3990

My Cravings are savoury too. Crisps, a big, greasy curry, pizza, burgers...
Reply 3991
Ive been craving mustard...I have bizzare tastebuds anyway
Also peanut butter....Ahh can't beat a peanut butter sarnie with wholegrain brown bread

I was thinking the other day...to be fair a lot of the time I prefer healthy food...I mean over last weekend I ate a whole load of rubbish food...and generally felt bad after it...I don'tdon't mean guilty, but bloated and generally horrible

Its all for the better :smile:

That's exactly the same as me. I was lactose intolerant until I was 10 and then suddenly I could eat chocolate and sweets and other junk like that. My mum also made up that I was allergic to E numbers so I didn't eat any sweets either, lol. So when I realised I could eat what all my friends had been eating all the time I developed a massive sweet tooth! But that's pretty much gone now, I don't really crave chocolate or cakes or things like that these days. I also get cravings for crisps and bread, and the really unhealthy instant noodles I used to eat loads, and weirdly I crave meat/fish a lot. Mostly things like crispy roast duck, sautéed prawns, crabsticks, fried chicken :K:

Original post by Lell
Thanks for the welcome :smile: I'll try raisins, sounds tasty and raspberries too. And maybe blueberries! I'm not sure about nuts though, I like something sweet in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions:smile:

Went for that run, 3.5 miles. Was a bit slower than a run I did two nights ago but I had an awful bout of shooting pains after so I thought I'd take it slowly today.
I really like mixing in frozen mixed berries to it whilst it is still cooking. Makes it go a lovely pink colour too :h: Or cinnamon and chopped apples, again whilst it is cooking. I add a bit of honey or sweetener too.

Original post by Emaemmaemily
You know what. I've had a terrible week (as I've said previously), but I've arrived home for reading week and already been told by 2 people that I'm looking better and like I'm losing weight.
I guess despite one bad week, things aren't ruined :smile: Time to get on with it.
Well done, and lots of virtual :hugs:!
Reply 3993
Mmm think Im gonna have to try porridge with mixed berries now!!!
Today is being my cheat day: I've got bad stomach cramps/tons of work to do/problems with my boyfriend so I'm gonna have a microwave pizza for tea. I just feel rubbish :tongue:

Back on it tomorrow..
Another question for all you lovely ladies and gents: has anyone heard of/tried "zigzagging"? It's where you have different calorie goals each day, adding to the same weekly total, but it apparently keeps your metabolism high because your body doesn't have a chance to adapt. Kind of the dietary version of HIIT! I've heard it's good for losing the last few stubborn pounds, when your body's metabolism has slowed down. This website calculates a zigzagging schedule based on just your weight, but there are others which factor in stuff like BMI, activity etc.

To be honest, I think my diet already accidentally forms a zigzagging schedule! There are days when I'll eat around 1100, and days where I'll go up to 1800 or more...
Another question for all you lovely ladies and gents: has anyone heard of/tried "zigzagging"? It's where you have different calorie goals each day, adding to the same weekly total, but it apparently keeps your metabolism high because your body doesn't have a chance to adapt. Kind of the dietary version of HIIT! I've heard it's good for losing the last few stubborn pounds, when your body's metabolism has slowed down. This website calculates a zigzagging schedule based on just your weight, but there are others which factor in stuff like BMI, activity etc.

To be honest, I think my diet already accidentally forms a zigzagging schedule! There are days when I'll eat around 1100, and days where I'll go up to 1800 or more...

I'm the same. I think zigzagging has the same sort of effect of having a "cheat" or "spike" day every so often. I personally prefer the latter, but like you I never plan it in to do it - it all happens accidentally!

Makes sense. I always find that I lose weight easier after a naughty few days. My Mum does the alternate day diet, which is zig zagging to the extreme I guess, and it works incredibly well for her, a solid 3lbs loss per week most of the time. So if the zig zag thing is any healthier and doesn't involve starvation then fantastic!
Original post by blahhh
Ive been craving mustard...I have bizzare tastebuds anyway
Also peanut butter....Ahh can't beat a peanut butter sarnie with wholegrain brown bread

I was thinking the other day...to be fair a lot of the time I prefer healthy food...I mean over last weekend I ate a whole load of rubbish food...and generally felt bad after it...I don'tdon't mean guilty, but bloated and generally horrible

Its all for the better :smile:

I'm exactly the same - my body can just about cope with having one junky day, but any more than that and I start feeling really sluggish and bloated.

-----

Having my 'cheat day' today - I was slightly hungover when I got up this morning, plus it's TTOM, so I've been eating less healthily than normal - scrambled egg and sausages with toast for breakfast, followed by instant noodles for lunch, along with a fair few of my housemate's Quality Street :s-smilie: I'm making sicillian fish stew for dinner though, with steamed veggies and wholemeal pitta, so that should make up for it a little bit.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];34566645']I'm exactly the same - my body can just about cope with having one junky day, but any more than that and I start feeling really sluggish and bloated.

-----

Having my 'cheat day' today - I was slightly hungover when I got up this morning, plus it's TTOM, so I've been eating less healthily than normal - scrambled egg and sausages with toast for breakfast, followed by instant noodles for lunch, along with a fair few of my housemate's Quality Street :s-smilie: I'm making sicillian fish stew for dinner though, with steamed veggies and wholemeal pitta, so that should make up for it a little bit.

Know how you feel, time of the month just makes me want to eat rubbish :tongue:

Latest