The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lu-x
Hey girls, I'm the same height as you both but am currently aiming to get down to your current weights (178lb) as this will bring me into the normal BMI zone (then will probably set a new target). I was just wondering though, what are your current dress sizes/measurements? I'm curious as to what size I will be at this weight.

I am currently a size 12 top and 14 Jeans however 12-14 is starting to get quite lose and by the time I get down to 12st I should be able to comfortably wear a size 12 jeans. With tops I don't have much boobs so some of the size 12 tops are now to big for me on the bust but if I go down to size 10 tops its just right on the bust but too small on the waist.

My measurement now I thin is about 34-30-40
Original post by Aemiliana
I'm a 12-14 but obviously muscle mass vs fat etc is going to change your size and how you look - if you put the effort in you could look way better by the time you reach this weight!

I think technically 178lbs is 1lb away from a healthy weight :rolleyes: But then, for all I know I may be 5'11" by now (I was actually last measured a few years ago) and so a healthy weight. Who knows!

Also, I think I might have a small frame or something because I know people roughly the same weight/height/activity level and they look all right with the weight but it looks really odd (as if someone took handfuls of fat and just started placing it randomly!). Even my mother said I don't carry this weight well. :emo:

Sorry for the essay :colondollar:

I have a small frame too according to my wrist however your clothes size sounds just about right. I am currently at a stage where I look ok when I dress up on a day to day basis but look fat when I wear gym or tight clothes or have no clothes on at all. My parents think I should stop losing weight however I would like to look lean
Reply 82
Original post by crazylemon
I only started this year and loved it. If you want to do well at competitions you need to put a huge amount of time in (more than I did) but if you keep at it worth it. Been really annoyed I have not danced much since easter.

Nah, no competitions in mind, I just adore traditional dancing. But with you being a med. student I would imagen time being an issue.

This is not meant to offend anyone, but I am just not personally a fan of the whole "moving your body forth and back in a slighty sexual fashion" when it's considdered dancing. But since I moved to Spain I hadn't had the option to dance, but before that my mum took me to a few salsa dancing lessons which were really fun, but a very long time ago. Ah post is getting long, but the university has a dance club thing, so I just hope you don't have to be good to join or anything like that. :biggrin:
Original post by Buberries
Nah, no competitions in mind, I just adore traditional dancing. But with you being a med. student I would imagen time being an issue.

This is not meant to offend anyone, but I am just not personally a fan of the whole "moving your body forth and back in a slighty sexual fashion" when it's considdered dancing. But since I moved to Spain I hadn't had the option to dance, but before that my mum took me to a few salsa dancing lessons which were really fun, but a very long time ago. Ah post is getting long, but the university has a dance club thing, so I just hope you don't have to be good to join or anything like that. :biggrin:

I must agree I can only do that sort of dancing when trashed.

Although latin dancing is alot of the bolded too, lots and lots of hip movement (which I should really practice...)

It will be harder next year as I am clinicals and treasurer of the soc. Tre busy :frown:
I just want to get back to a size 10. I did originally think I wanted to get back down to 10 stone, but if I'm gaining muscle then weight doesn't matter as much.

If your a 12-14 now you probably would need to lose about 20-25lbs maximum to get down to a comfortable size 10. This is why I am aiming for just under 11st as I should be a very confortable size 10 jeans at that point. I also wanted to get down to 10st before but I don't think I need to and may even start to look too skinny and I'm sure since we have similar stats you don't need to go down that far either
Just got home from a party and my first thought was to come and see how many of you had found this thread so far.. 5 pages; you people talk too much ;-). Nah I'm kidding, it's great!

Lovely to see you all here.

Been dancing the night away, but cancelled that out (and more) with the buffet, never mind it's all good. I'm sure the chocolate donuts were calorie free anyway.

(In a good mood as well because won £25 with my first ever "matched bet".. all is well!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chrisateen

If your a 12-14 now you probably would need to lose about 20-25lbs maximum to get down to a comfortable size 10. This is why I am aiming for just under 11st as I should be a very confortable size 10 jeans at that point. I also wanted to get down to 10st before but I don't think I need to and may even start to look too skinny and I'm sure since we have similar stats you don't need to go down that far either

Yeah, I'm more concerned about fitting into my old size 10 clothes - I can't afford new ones! 10 stone would give us a BMI of around 19, which seems a little low :yep:

Here's hoping! I just don't want it to take too long, but then because I used to have body dysmorphia, I've always felt that I've looked the way I do now - I guess a few more months of that isn't going to hurt.

---

Weights tomorrow :woo: And I will go for a run - I didn't today (in fairness my breathing got all funny and I was a little worried). I can't believe how excited I am to do weights - this rest day has been a challenge :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Just got home from a party and my first thought was to come and see how many of you had found this thread so far.. 5 pages; you people talk too much ;-). Nah I'm kidding, it's great!

Lovely to see you all here.

Been dancing the night away, but cancelled that out (and more) with the buffet, never mind it's all good. I'm sure the chocolate donuts were calorie free anyway.

Please give me a slap if I start spamming, I will do my best to stay on topic :h:

Food eaten while exercising contains no calories. FACT.

(not really but it does seem to be a misconception many people have and I myself have indulged in :colondollar:)
Please give me a slap if I start spamming, I will do my best to stay on topic :h:

Food eaten while exercising contains no calories. FACT.

(not really but it does seem to be a misconception many people have and I myself have indulged in :colondollar:)

If you just put the word "donut" at the end of every spam post it's not spam because it has food in it.. *nods*

Haha I'm under no illusions that there were probably ~300 cals in it, I'm just choosing to ignore it :') My friend said to me "Gemma this is the first time I've seen you eat in months, we were beginning to think you were anorexic!" ...far from it!
Reply 89
I must agree I can only do that sort of dancing when trashed.

Although latin dancing is alot of the bolded too, lots and lots of hip movement (which I should really practice...)

It will be harder next year as I am clinicals and treasurer of the soc. Tre busy :frown:

Nothing wrong with some good hip movement, I meant more the sort of girls moving their butts around, preferably with a guy behind them, or that general sort of "dancing", but that's just my personal opinion. :biggrin:

Well if you ever get bored at the clinic, maybe a patient would enjoy a demonstration of your dance skills. But yeh it seems like quite a lot of balls to keep in the air at once.
I can't believe how excited I am to do weights - this rest day has been a challenge :teehee:

I'm like that. Off to gym tomorrow and I actually can't wait :biggrin: Have been looking at the gym I'll be at next year for uni... getting more excited about the free weights room there than the actual course :rolleyes:

And... pink weightlifting shoes being ordered tomorrow!! :biggrin: I have no converses or anything and I'm scared to get my sweaty feet out at the gym :tongue: so they're tecnically essential
Reply 91
I am currently a size 12 top and 14 Jeans however 12-14 is starting to get quite lose and by the time I get down to 12st I should be able to comfortably wear a size 12 jeans. With tops I don't have much boobs so some of the size 12 tops are now to big for me on the bust but if I go down to size 10 tops its just right on the bust but too small on the waist.

My measurement now I thin is about 34-30-40

Ah right. I'm currently aiming for size 12, so hopefully my target weight will be able a size 12! I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been a size 12 adult, so it will be a great achievement :smile:. My measurement atm is 35-32-43.

I've just started the 30 day shred DVD with my housemate! Gotta love Jillian!
Great thread- I'm in :-) I want to lose weight that I gained this year (stressful year) and get back to the fitness level I was this time last year.
Yeah, I'm more concerned about fitting into my old size 10 clothes - I can't afford new ones! 10 stone would give us a BMI of around 19, which seems a little low :yep:

Here's hoping! I just don't want it to take too long, but then because I used to have body dysmorphia, I've always felt that I've looked the way I do now - I guess a few more months of that isn't going to hurt.

---

Weights tomorrow :woo: And I will go for a run - I didn't today (in fairness my breathing got all funny and I was a little worried). I can't believe how excited I am to do weights - this rest day has been a challenge :teehee:

It shouldn't do. If you put your mind to it you should even if you are going at a very slow rate to get back to size 10 before the xmas period. I am however hoping to finish by the end of October as I have been losing weight since mid Oct 2010

Ah right. I'm currently aiming for size 12, so hopefully my target weight will be able a size 12! I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been a size 12 adult, so it will be a great achievement . My measurement atm is 35-32-43.

I've just started the 30 day shred DVD with my housemate! Gotta love Jillian
!

Size 12 jeans is about a 38-39 inch hips (depending on the store you shop at). On average 10lbs is equivalent to 2 inches off the hips so in order to get to a size 12 you only need to lose about 20lbs
Can somebody explain this 30 day shred dvd to me please? A lot of people used to mention it on the weight loss challenge thread (which I had a nosey on for a few days), is there something better/different about it than other exercise dvds?
Reply 95
Original post by Shockolate
I'm Rachel, I'm 20 and I'm 5ft 2 and when I weighed myself just under a week ago I weighed 123lbs.
My goal is to lose fat, gain muscle, and just generally get fitter and healthier, and most importantly gain my confidence back.
Before I started university I used to be on the small side of a size 8 (and had been so since I was about 15), which suited me as I had a petite frame. I'm now usually a size 12, sometimes 10, and I'd like to get back to a size 8.
My lifestyle just went to s*** a few months after I went to university, I think this was partly due to being on a nursing course and my shift patterns changing every week so my sleeping and eating patterns would never be consistent, and then just tiredness and lazyness when I got back from a shift I'd just want to eat junk rather than spend the time preparing healthy meals. I knew throughout the year I was putting weight on as loads of my clothes stopped fitting, I didn't like what I was seeing in the mirror, and other people have commented on my weight gain negatively (even my gp said around christmas time that it wouldnt suit me if I put anymore weight on).
I decided just under a month ago that I needed to sort my lifestyle out, and for just under 4 weeks I've been going to the gym and eating healthier, and I feel alot better for it already and my fitness is improving. I've only lost 4lbs but the inches must be coming off as I can fit into my favourite playsuit again (the last time it fit me was in february) :smile:. I haven't eaten any sweets or chocolate in the last four weeks, and only a few biscuits, which is a massive change for me as I have a huge sweet tooth and used to eat sweets or chocolate most days. The first two weeks I really craved sweets but now I don't miss them and actually prefer fruit, and I think my mood is better now instead of before when I used to comfort eating and getting sugar rushes, and then crash down a few hours later.
Mainly I want to gain back the confidence I've lost in the last year, not just because of the weight gain but due to things that have happened in the last year that have made me just want to hide away.
So yeah I'm joining this so it'll help motivate me to continue with a health lifestyle.

P.S. I'm sorry if this post seems insensitive as I know other people would love to be a size 12, but it just really doesn't suit me!

don't worry I don't think anyone will be offended I currently wear my size 10 clothes and there kind of tight I probably should wear 12 and one of my aims is to get back into my size 8s as well. people here are really nice and everyone understands not everyones ideal size is the same. As long as you are being sensible and healthy which you clearly are everyone here is really supportive.:smile:
Hello guys!

Joining this thread again, as I seem to lose a few lbs and then gain it all again!:rolleyes:

My stats:

Size 10
5 ft 2"
138 lbs
Chest: 35" Waist: 27" Hips: 35"

Aim: 7.5st - 8st (size 6-8)

Gonna stick to 1000 cals a day (fingers crossed), and usually do 500-1000 cals per workout at the gym.
Edit: seeing everyone elses weight loss is making

Want to go back to uni in sept feeling great! Also want to be healthy, and get much back to how fit I used to be!

Part of the problem is people are always telling me I look fine, and I'm not fat! Does anybody else find this? I then start thinking "oh well, I'll just eat, cos so & so thinks I look ok!" :colondollar:

Seeing everyone elses weight loss is making me very very depressed! :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
I think I fall into the chubby category, or maybe skinny-fat. Either way, I need to lose my stomach, it makes me feel sick looking it at. I constantly pull my jeans up high so nobody can see it - I honestly look 6 months pregnant.
Reply 98
Original post by HellowHellow
Hello guys!

Joining this thread again, as I seem to lose a few lbs and then gain it all again!:rolleyes:

My stats:

Size 10
5 ft 2"
138 lbs
Chest: 35" Waist: 27" Hips: 35"

Aim: 7.5st - 8st (size 6-8)

Gonna stick to 1000 cals a day (fingers crossed), and usually do 500-1000 cals per workout at the gym.
Edit: seeing everyone elses weight loss is making

Want to go back to uni in sept feeling great! Also want to be healthy, and get much back to how fit I used to be!

Part of the problem is people are always telling me I look fine, and I'm not fat! Does anybody else find this? I then start thinking "oh well, I'll just eat, cos so & so thinks I look ok!" :colondollar:

Seeing everyone elses weight loss is making me very very depressed! :frown:

I see a slight problem here. 1000 calories is probably to low anyway but even if you do eat that on non gym days you really need to up it on gym days. you say you want to be healthy but burning off every calorie that you eat in the gym is not healthy its basically the equivalent of not eating at all and I'm sure if someone told you they were going to completely starve themselves you would think they were .
Original post by boba
I see a slight problem here. 1000 calories is probably to low anyway but even if you do eat that on non gym days you really need to up it on gym days. you say you want to be healthy but burning off every calorie that you eat in the gym is not healthy its basically the equivalent of not eating at all and I'm sure if someone told you they were going to completely starve themselves you would think they were .

I will end up eating between 1200-1300 cals per day, but 1000 would be my aim for the first 2 weeks at least (I have a party in 2 weeks I really want to look good for). Not long term. I don't have the willpower to starve myself, I like food too much :colondollar:

Latest