The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by .eXe
Why would people apply to schools where they dont meet the requirements?? I honestly just assume that every applicant has the IQ to select a school where they atleast meet the basic requirements lol.

Sometimes the smartest of people don't read instructions :rolleyes:
Reply 381
Original post by thegodofgod
I know, but that makes it better for us, who do know that we meet the basic entry requirements :biggrin:

Hopefully mate my fingers are crossed. Im an intl applicant so I know my chances are pretty damn limited :frown: Trying to be optimistic
Reply 382
Original post by .eXe
Hopefully mate my fingers are crossed. Im an intl applicant so I know my chances are pretty damn limited :frown: Trying to be optimistic

I'm also an international applicant :frown: and my UKCAT score was horrible
Reply 383
Original post by Samy

Me too! I prepared for it by googling the term ukcat and doing 5 practice questions haha
Original post by .eXe

You'll be fine, we'll all stick together :biggrin:

Original post by Samy

You only get 1 bonus point for having an average score over 700, so you should be fine :smile: (unless they've changed their requirements for this year, in which case I'll be one of the 25% of fools who apply unknowingly :sad:)
Reply 385
Original post by maemg
Just got an acknowledgement via email. they said they have 4000 applicants this year for medicine

Me too :smile:
In their acknowledgement email they say that they received nearly 4000 applications. Is this only for the A100 programme or does Leeds run other medical courses as well?
Original post by Samy
They had around 3600 applicants in 2011, so its not that much of a drastic change.

Also keep in mind usually at least 25% of these dont meet the minimum requirements (GCSE's, UKCAT, etc.)

Ohh really they had around 3600 in 2011?
How do you know this may I ask? :biggrin:
Reply 388
Oh dear this is worrying.... UCAS claims that there is 0.8% fall in applicants for this year's cycle... However, I really don't see it :frown:
Most of my options seem to have increased.... T.T
Barts ~ +27%
BSMS ~ +15%
Leeds ~ +11%
Reply 389
The email says interviews aren't until Feb/March.. this could be a loooong wait. :frown:
Original post by liviaaa
The email says interviews aren't until Feb/March.. this could be a loooong wait. :frown:

Well it says the majority of interviews will be around Feb/March so a few could be earlier than then..
Reply 391
Original post by groovyangel2008
Well it says the majority of interviews will be around Feb/March so a few could be earlier than then..

It says: "The majority of applicants will not hear from us until after the Christmas break. Interviews are scheduled to take place in February and March 2012."

So it implies you may hear before Christmas, but your interview will still be in Feb/March? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. :tongue:
I got an acknowlegement email on a different email address than the one given on my UCAS? *STRANGE??*
Reply 393
I've also juts got an acknowledgement at midnight last night! anyone know how many places leeds medschool has? I can't believe there has been an increase :frown: :frown: Also are all the ~4000 applications for the standard 5 year course and UK applicants only or everyone? :/ :/ :frown:
Reply 394
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by groovyangel2008

On their website it says: "We interview approximately 600 candidates from the beginning of December to the beginning of March"

So i'm guessing the vast majority of interviews will take place in feb, possibly march... and the majority of invites will be sent out post christmas?

Also found out, (as of 2010/2011) theres 223 places for UK students and 20 for Int'l. Anyone know what the ratio of applications between UK :Int'l is?

And, theres been an increase of ~11% in applications.

I wonder if the number of places/ interviews increase or decrease or stay the same.. if it stays the same:
Odds to get into Leeds medschool is 1 in 16.5
Odds of getting an interview is 1 in 6.7
Odds of then being made an offer is 1 in 2.5

No idea why i typed out my thoughts.. hope some of you find it useful :smile:
Reply 395
Received my acknowledgement :biggrin: Applicant figures = SCARY.
Reply 396
and so it begins
Reply 397
Wonder how many of those 4000 are internationals sigh
Reply 398
Original post by .eXe
Wonder how many of those 4000 are internationals sigh

I would assume the amount of spots is proportional to the number of applicants (+50% for internationals), so if lets say there are 3000 applicants for 300 home or EU spots, than that is a 1:10 ratio. My guess would be there would be around 1:10(+50%) so 1:15 which means if there are 20 spots, there would be around 300 applicants. (This is just a guess :rolleyes: )
Original post by Besakt
Yeah found it in my junk folder. :confused: They transferred me onto the 5 year course at UEA though so its okay. :redface:
But I'm still going to my teachers and asking them why they are not competent enough to give me 3 letters accurately.

That's better if the 5 year course isn't as competitive, so it gives you a better chance :smile:
And yes - asking them why they managed to (almost) screw that up is a good idea :smile:

Original post by cobra2k10
hah, still havent sent mine off.. will do hopefully by this week

Good luck then! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending