The Student Room Group

Looking into MSC Public Policy & Admin at LSE

Hi all

I am looking into applying for LSE's Msc in Public Policy and Administration for entry next year (2012/2013). I'm an American student at George Washington University, obviously not a top top school but a notable institution especially in the politics/policy field. Currently I have a 3.51 gpa, just slightly above the LSE's minimum for postgrads.

Judging by the intake of applicants (28/253) it looks as though the program may require a slightly higher gpa to be competitive?

Is there anyone out their who knows a little bit more about the degree and its quality?

Thanks for your help
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone out there :tongue:
Reply 2
Hello!

I'm also an American and I am just about to complete this program (I'm wrapping up my dissertation this week!)

One reason you may not be finding out a lot of information regarding this specific M.Sc. is because it's a relatively new program; it replaced a similar one just a few years ago, and it now allows you to pick various "streams," or concentrations.

I would definitely recommend this program. I really enjoyed my professors, and it's amazing to be reading the most highly-regarded contemporary peer-reviewed works in your field, and know that they come from the people who are teaching you several times a week, whom you will get to know well (and love!).

As for grades. . . I did go to undergrad in the UK as well and got a "first," but the uni was also accredited by an American organization, which means that I had a GPA. It was 3.6 in general, and 3.75 in my major (history). I was in the Honors program the entire way through.

I got rejected from Social Policy, which required a "first," which I had, but then was accepted to the PPA program. I'm so glad it turned out that way, because you have a lot more flexibility with the latter.

So in total, here are my stats, and you can compare them against yours:
- "First" degree (Honors)
- Departmental Award at graduation
- 3.6 GPA/3.75 in major
- Six month internship researching and writing policy reports for David Cameron (before he became Prime Minister)
- A year working for the President Pro Tem of the California Senate, as a full-time aide, before he was termed out :frown:
- Two years working as a full-time aide for a United States Senator from California

I am so grateful that I took 3 1/2 years to work because it made everything we learned in the program click so much; things that would be abstract to people just out of college made perfect sense to those of us who had worked for several years (particularly in politics).

Good luck!! It was an amazing year, and I'm bummed it's over. My finances are grateful there won't be more to pay for (just got my notice of what my monthly student loan bills will be for the next ten years. . .OMG. . .), but I wish I could do it all over again!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending