The Student Room Group

Choosing A Level subjects - Maths or Psychology?

Hi, I'm stuck between Psychology and Maths. First of all, I know that I want to do Biomedical Science at university. For this, I know Maths would be the 'better' subject to have.

I'm also taking Biology, Chemistry and French at A level. Which leaves me with either Psychology or Maths. I struggle with Maths, I found it quite difficult at GCSE. I was in the top group but throughout the year, I understood very little. It was only a couple of weeks before my exam that everything 'clicked' and I finally understood most of it. I'm hoping for an A*. However, I've read that AS Maths is a big step-up from GCSE and that you need to enjoy the subject and be really motivated. If I get a really difficult Maths question, I'll try once but then get upset and give up. As for Psychology, the subject doesn't really interest me. But, I have a good memory and I have no trouble with memorizing lots of information and writing essays so I think I would get the better grade in Psychology. And I would rather have a research essay to do for homework than a pile of Maths problems.

The only other options for that 'column' were Drama, History and DT. I'm a very shy person so Drama is out of the question. History seems useless for what I want to do and I dislike it anyway. And DT is too time consuming and I can't see myself going into design or production in the future. I'm a sciencey person.

I've already had to choose between IT or French (those clashed). I was going to do IT at University if I decided against Science but I went to an open day at a University and I didn't like the look of an ICT degree at all. I absolutely love French though and it's a subject I find really easy so I went for French.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. Has anybody had any experience of doing these two subjects (Maths & Psychology) or have any advice for me? Thanks.
Reply 1
If you found GCSE Maths difficult I strongly advise against doing the A Level.
Reply 2
Original post by Pheebs1201

Even if I just did it for AS and then dropped it?
I was always thinking about taking maths as A-level, but you're right, it is a bigggg step up from GCSE.
I got an A* in the gcse but then afterwards we did some practice for a level and i just couldnt understand it... what so ever. I dont want to put you off, because it might just be because my teacher wasnt used to teaching it.

Just look at some university requirements, maybe they need you to have maths? If they dont... then i'd opt for Psychology, but if you really want to challenge yourself then go for maths, because like you said it will look like the better choice! :smile:
Reply 4
If you really are struggling with GCSE maths and you think you can't handle it at A level, just pick up 5 A levels and then drop it later depending on how you feel.

Maths is one of the best subject to have and one of those "must have A levels" imo.

EDIT: and I disagree that A level maths is a big step up from GCSE, that is a load of crap
Original post by Pheebs1201

Not really, I only started finding Maths easy/interesting at A level. GCSE maths I found really difficult and boring. OP I'd say if you were able to get an A* at GCSE you're clearly alright at Maths on some level and can probably handle the A level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mocking_bird
I was always thinking about taking maths as A-level, but you're right, it is a bigggg step up from GCSE.
I got an A* in the gcse but then afterwards we did some practice for a level and i just couldnt understand it... what so ever. I dont want to put you off, because it might just be because my teacher wasnt used to teaching it.

Just look at some university requirements, maybe they need you to have maths? If they dont... then i'd opt for Psychology, but if you really want to challenge yourself then go for maths, because like you said it will look like the better choice! :smile:

Some universities do but some don't. :s-smilie: I've looked online at some AS level papers and practically all of it was algebra and that is what I struggle with most. Thanks for your reply.
Reply 7
Original post by pomme de terre
Not really, I only started finding Maths easy/interesting at A level. GCSE maths I found really difficult and boring. OP I'd say if you were able to get an A* at GCSE you're clearly alright at Maths on some level and can probably handle the A level.

How much algebra is there in Maths at AS level? That's my weakest area.
Reply 8
Do your research, OP. For Biomedical Science, the top places want at least AS Maths. Oxford want it at A2 and Imperial and UCL want it at AS, preferably A2.
Reply 9
Original post by Ghostiee
Hi, I'm stuck between Psychology and Maths. First of all, I know that I want to do Biomedical Science at university. For this, I know Maths would be the 'better' subject to have.

I'm also taking Biology, Chemistry and French at A level. Which leaves me with either Psychology or Maths. I struggle with Maths, I found it quite difficult at GCSE. I was in the top group but throughout the year, I understood very little. It was only a couple of weeks before my exam that everything 'clicked' and I finally understood most of it. I'm hoping for an A*. However, I've read that AS Maths is a big step-up from GCSE and that you need to enjoy the subject and be really motivated. If I get a really difficult Maths question, I'll try once but then get upset and give up. As for Psychology, the subject doesn't really interest me. But, I have a good memory and I have no trouble with memorizing lots of information and writing essays so I think I would get the better grade in Psychology. And I would rather have a research essay to do for homework than a pile of Maths problems.

The only other options for that 'column' were Drama, History and DT. I'm a very shy person so Drama is out of the question. History seems useless for what I want to do and I dislike it anyway. And DT is too time consuming and I can't see myself going into design or production in the future. I'm a sciencey person.

I've already had to choose between IT or French (those clashed). I was going to do IT at University if I decided against Science but I went to an open day at a University and I didn't like the look of an ICT degree at all. I absolutely love French though and it's a subject I find really easy so I went for French.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. Has anybody had any experience of doing these two subjects (Maths & Psychology) or have any advice for me? Thanks.

Well... I cant really speak for A level, but here goes...

I did the Irish system up to two years ago, and instead of GCSE we have Junior Certificate, which is a little easier, and we take it in year.. 9 i think. Up to year 8, I was failing. I remember getting an E at the start of the exam year. But then I decided to work at it, actually concentrate on it for once, and managed to drag that up to a B for the actual exams. Everything kinda 'clicked' a few weeks before.

Roll on to two years ago, when I decided I wanted to study engineering and do the IB. That meant taking IB higher maths, which is reportedly quite bit harder than the A level equivalent. Yeah, it was hard, and I had to work at it, but if you try and take an interest in any subject, you'll come to enjoy it. I certainly did, and I managed to get a 6 out of 7 in the final exams, which is pretty much the standard for engineering.

If you want to do it, you can. You just have to take an interest in it.

_Kar.
Reply 10
I'd go for the maths and perhaps have a tutor outside of school as well as your lessons in school to make sure you reach your A :smile:
Reply 11
Okay, well I'm going to see if I can get the revision guide for Maths cheap off Amazon or something to have a look at it. I will have more time than a lot of people to work at it since I don't have a job, I'm not intending to either while I'm studying, I'm not fussed about learning to drive yet and I actually enjoy studying - well, the subjects I like anyway. Thanks for all the replies. :smile:
Okay, well I'm going to see if I can get the revision guide for Maths cheap off Amazon or something to have a look at it. I will have more time than a lot of people to work at it since I don't have a job, I'm not intending to either while I'm studying, I'm not fussed about learning to drive yet and I actually enjoy studying - well, the subjects I like anyway. Thanks for all the replies. :smile:

You will be highly disadvantaged if you dont do mathematics.

People say its a 'big step up from GCSE'. It isnt. Its just new material.

When you were grade 7 you learnt about algebra, right ? That must've been mindblowing for you ?

Solving a problem with letters ? Who could have thought about that ?

Anyways, it isnt difficult as long as you show interest.
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
You will be highly disadvantaged if you dont do mathematics.

People say its a 'big step up from GCSE'. It isnt. Its just new material.

When you were grade 7 you learnt about algebra, right ? That must've been mindblowing for you ?

Solving a problem with letters ? Who could have thought about that ?

Anyways, it isnt difficult as long as you show interest.

(IMO i've just finished both at a level)

It is a step up in terms of that you will now have 5 maths lessons per week and not 2/3. I agree that the HUGE difference in difficulty that people believe there is from GCSE to a level is not true.

A lot of people struggle with maths at a level, if you definately want an A maybe psychology would be easier. Mind, it isn't just memorising for some exam boards (AQA B requires has a synoptic paper at the end).

As people have said, some who do GCSE find it boring and then thrive at a level. However it is also likely that you may just hate a level.

You may also do **** in psychology if it does not interest you- you have to be pretty motivated to revise it! Unless you are an A* student in all your GCSEs, it is rather likely that you could just hate psychology and do even worse in psychology than you would in maths because it isn't the right subject for you! Maths is very interesting at a level, although you may find that some questions on the paper are too hard for you to even answer... i found it enjoyable to revise for when compared to other subjects.

If your in doubt, go to some psychology lessons, if you think you cannot stand a year of it, switch to maths, and get a maths tutor if you really want to secure an A at AS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Do maths at A-level, don't listen to people who claim it is a huge step-up from GCSE, it isn't.

AS level maths is relatively simple and if you do enough past papers and then redo them then you will find it simple.
for what you want to do you really should take Maths.

AS Maths is really not that hard and even if you don't enjoy it at GCSE you may find you like it at AS. I hated GCSE Maths and now I love A-level maths.
Reply 16

I found GCSE Maths hard and got a B.

Do you know which exam board you are? If you are Edexcel the heinmann textbooks are so good you can practically teach yourself A level Maths from them.
(They come with a CD with fully worked solutions so if you don't understand something the solution bank can usually clear up any problems you had)

They make A level Maths a lot easier as whenever you get stuck and your teacher can't explain stuff well enough to you, you always have the solution bank to rely on.

I found A level Maths very hard at first but once you start doing a lot of past papers and get into the Maths mind frame it becomes one of your easiest A levels.

I'm hopefully on track for an A/A* at A level Maths so if I can get a good grade so can you :smile:

As long as you put the work in you should be ok :smile:
Just by doing most of the past papers and understanding the bare basics of the course you can pretty much guarantee yourself a B ! All you need to do to get in that A/A* grade bracket is too understand the theory well enough that when an unusual question is thrown at you, you don't panic !

I personally wouldn't touch psychology with a barge pole because I suck at writing essays and I'd rather do Maths problems than write an essay any day.

Maths would be the better subject if you decided that you didn't want to do Biomed as Maths opens up a lot more degree options, however whether you take Psychology or Maths shouldn't really affect your chances of studying Biomed :smile:
maths is considered an old school 'hard' subject because it really is, errr.. hard.
i found AS maths hard, simply because i messed about in gcse maths and didn't do work and still got an A.. so i became cocky and thought, "i can handle anythang.."

WRONG.

it was so hard. maths and psychology are both hard. no a-level is easy.
practice papers help a lot too. good luck..
if you ask me.. psychology, but maths is 'better' for you according to the masses.
Reply 18
Hmm, okay, thanks everyone. I'm wavering towards Maths at the moment but I'm waiting for the book to come. And to the person who asked me which exam board it'll be, I think it's OCR. I'm not certain but whichever exam board it is, it uses the MEI scheme.
Maths would be more useful. I do genetics at uni and the maths is so hard! (but u can learnt it in your spare time, maybe during summer like i am) Remember to check the uni entry requirements to see if you need maths. You will prob defo need 2 sciences. You might think your not going to drop biol or chem, but neither did i, and i did. on the other hand do whats going to get you good grades. i did A-level psychology and loved it. Follow your heart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending