The Student Room Group

Godel, escher, bach

I am starting to read this book, and I am wondering if there is any essential knowledge I need before hand. The main question is, do I need to understand Godel's theorem? Because I've barely looked at his theorem...

Other than that, can anyone tell me if there's any other stuff you recommend I look up before getting into this book?

thanks in advance!
I am starting to read this book, and I am wondering if there is any essential knowledge I need before hand. The main question is, do I need to understand Godel's theorem? Because I've barely looked at his theorem...

Other than that, can anyone tell me if there's any other stuff you recommend I look up before getting into this book?

thanks in advance!
Original post by Dr Ben

thanks in advance!

Just read the book and enjoy it.
Original post by ian.slater
Just read the book and enjoy it.

Very helpful. Thanks.
Reply 4
You don't need any previous knowledge, it explains everything you need to know pretty well! If there's something you come across that you don't understand, just Google it, good luck with getting all the way through it! :smile:
There is nothing you need to know really, but I recommend you read it much slower than you would an ordinary book as it does get quite complicated. It's a fantastic book though.
Original post by Dr Ben
Very helpful. Thanks.

One thing you do need to know. It's not a book. It's just some ink on some paper. Any idea that it's a book is entirely within your mind.
ok thanks guys

I decided to buy a little 40 page book on godel's theorems anyway, just for the sake of my curiosity :smile:
Original post by Dr Ben

thanks in advance!

I highly recommend this book. It was required reading for the machine learning component that I DID FOR AN MSc I completed 22 years ago.
Original post by Dr Ben
ok thanks guys

I decided to buy a little 40 page book on godel's theorems anyway, just for the sake of my curiosity :smile:

If I can make a suggestion, Godel's Proof by Nagel and Newman is an enjoyable and very clear reading on the matter.

Quick Reply

Latest