The Student Room Group

How best to revise for A level Music Edexcel Set Works

I don’t know how to revise for the set works. My teacher recommend listening to the set works each day and the wider listening associated with each set work. So in total that would be 3 set works each day and around 30 wider listening but that’s so much to listen to I barely have enough time to listen to my own taste of music let alone wider listening and set works.
Original post by michaela341
I don’t know how to revise for the set works. My teacher recommend listening to the set works each day and the wider listening associated with each set work. So in total that would be 3 set works each day and around 30 wider listening but that’s so much to listen to I barely have enough time to listen to my own taste of music let alone wider listening and set works.

bro I do aqa and struggle with a similar problem. listening on a loop is helpful to an extent in the days before any exams or assessments but the main thing that I can actually feel a difference from doing is setting myself practice 10 mark questions on sections of any of my set works - ie. describe bach's use of texture, harmony and melody in the extract, how does vivaldi's use of form and melody resemble typical baroque writing - and then answering it under timed conditions, with or without the annotated score (changes depending on confidence). the more I do of these the more I tend to have an idea of how to answer questions in the real exam, but it might be different for edexcel bc idk what your questions on the set works would look like.
BUMP
Reply 3
I make flashcards for all of them and I revise them. when u know the key bits (e.g. harmony/tonality/texture etc) it is easy to pick out as there is 'key terminology' in each set work. melody is straightforward as u can hear it
for wider listening I don't listen to them that often, I revise the names and the key bits that relate to the set work so I can throw it in for the essay

Quick Reply

Latest