The Student Room Group

Brother gone off the rails - what to do?

Anon or delete.

My younger brother is essentially the typical teenage "chav". He's 14, comes home drunk (e.g. he did about 10 minutes ago), acts extremely contemptuously towards my mother and family, doesn't have any remorse or care for anyone he hurts in the process of his actions, and has just completely destroyed his life educationally and socially.

I really have no idea what to do or how to help my mother in this situation - it's clearly horrible for her because she doesn't have any idea why he chooses to act this way: he's never had problems at home, was doing okay in school, but for some reason has chosen to pursue a completely different lifestyle choice. I don't even think this can be blamed on "peer pressure" or anything of the sort, because it's clearly a choice he has made himself.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had problems like this with a younger brother, or even another family member, and what on earth one can do to fix this situation?

Serious replies would be appreciated, thank you very much.

TL;DR - brother has chosen to act like a complete and utter moron, rejecting family, getting drunk, committing crimes, and I really don't know what I'm supposed to do in reaction.

Scroll to see replies

It's usually a phase that a lot of teens go through. Maybe you should sit him down and explain what effect it's having on you and your family. If that doesn't work and he doesn't grow out of it in a few years, maybe a psychiatrist is the best option ie seeing your doctor for advice really. There's unfortunately no way of helping someone else without simply just speaking to him! I hope this helps :smile:
maybe he'll grow out of it?

he's probably just fell in with a bad crowd, maybe you could encourage him to join a club or something that will enable him to be around cool people (actual cool people...not 'cool' people..if that makes sense).

Tough situation and I wish I could help more, but i don't know. sorry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just wondering, what about a father figure in his life? Is there anyone that he can talk to/relate to if there is something causing these actions?

Education wise, I'd suggest getting your mother to speak to his form tutor or if he's 14, he's not too old to be grounded/
Reply 4
Put him in a less deadly, saw style trap to teach him something (not really got any idea what).
Apply to Worlds Strictest Parents
Reply 6
Sounds like my brother. He's a total prick, and nothing seems to be able to get him out of it. I can't stand him, he is constantly rude to everyone in my family. He's especially horrible to me, and there is no possible reason for it. I only hope he will grow out of it, but he's been this way for 5 years.
I just try to ignore him, I know thats not much help though.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete.

My younger brother is essentially the typical teenage "chav". He's 14, comes home drunk (e.g. he did about 10 minutes ago), acts extremely contemptuously towards my mother and family, doesn't have any remorse or care for anyone he hurts in the process of his actions, and has just completely destroyed his life educationally and socially.

I really have no idea what to do or how to help my mother in this situation - it's clearly horrible for her because she doesn't have any idea why he chooses to act this way: he's never had problems at home, was doing okay in school, but for some reason has chosen to pursue a completely different lifestyle choice. I don't even think this can be blamed on "peer pressure" or anything of the sort, because it's clearly a choice he has made himself.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had problems like this with a younger brother, or even another family member, and what on earth one can do to fix this situation?

Serious replies would be appreciated, thank you very much.

TL;DR - brother has chosen to act like a complete and utter moron, rejecting family, getting drunk, committing crimes, and I really don't know what I'm supposed to do in reaction.

Boredom. That stuff is exciting, I did it when I was his age, and I grew out of it by the time I was 17 (Im 20 now and still drink, but Ive become more compassionate)

Dont tell him off, its logical to do that, but hes not at a logical age. Be friendly to him and never tell him what to do.
I would almost advise you to buy him alcohol so that you could limit what/when he drinks. By becoming his friend, you should be able to steer him clear of serious crime or drugs. That will give him time for his brain to develop and for him to become a young adult.
What has your mother tried doing so far? Very difficult situation.. Definitely try talking to his form tutor. Don't know if they would try doing this but put him in top set classes so that there is noone for him to act up for?
Reply 9
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
It's usually a phase that a lot of teens go through. Maybe you should sit him down and explain what effect it's having on you and your family. If that doesn't work and he doesn't grow out of it in a few years, maybe a psychiatrist is the best option ie seeing your doctor for advice really. There's unfortunately no way of helping someone else without simply just speaking to him! I hope this helps :smile:

I was thinking that it may be one of those "phase" things, but if so, he's took it a little far. We've let him know how he's having such a negative effect, but he really doesn't care - which suggests that he really wouldn't allow help. However, I think the idea of a psychiatrist is a very good one - thank you for the suggestion. :smile:

Original post by ijb57611
maybe he'll grow out of it?

he's probably just fell in with a bad crowd, maybe you could encourage him to join a club or something that will enable him to be around cool people (actual cool people...not 'cool' people..if that makes sense).

Tough situation and I wish I could help more, but i don't know. sorry.

I thought it may have been one of those "bad crowd" things initially, but they only really push one's actions so far - he's certainly making his own decisions about what he does, so I can't really put it down to that.

I know what you mean about cool people, though. Level headed people (as in, in terms of friends for him to hang around with) would be such a better influence generally.

Original post by Popular-reject-x
Just wondering, what about a father figure in his life? Is there anyone that he can talk to/relate to if there is something causing these actions?

Education wise, I'd suggest getting your mother to speak to his form tutor or if he's 14, he's not too old to be grounded/

He knows he can talk to any of us regarding his problems, but really just refuses to.

About the form tutor thing, the thing is, he just refused to go to school a couple of months back, and consequently has just completely dropped out of education. So the lack of structure may play a part, but I'm not too sure.
Reply 10
Original post by psychojonas
Apply to Worlds Strictest Parents

Around the wuuuuuurld...
on a serious note, knock some sense into him ( dont hit him lol) and show him some dominance so he backs down, he is probably in an enviroment where there is no dominant figure (yes you may have a father, but im taking about a dominant figure) so he is trying to compensate by becoming stereotypically dominant and doing what men stereotypically do.
Reply 12
i guess you'll have to talk to him. If you wait for him to grow out of it, it may become habitual and he'll remain a chav forever....
Let him continue to ruin his life and then enjoy the schadenfreude for the next sixty years / until he dies.
Reply 14
maybe just a phase, my little bro was picked up by the coppers for coke possesion, i griped him when he came home, resulted in him attacking me with a kitchen knife, now he is a sapper of the most glorious corp of corps and an all round good egg.

Don't give up on him, apply pressure in its verios forms, set a good scratch thsat AWSOME example and hopefully he will turn out to be a worthwhile and productive member of society.

iu appoligise for my drunken rewspone
Reply 15
Original post by tvdx
Sounds like my brother. He's a total prick, and nothing seems to be able to get him out of it. I can't stand him, he is constantly rude to everyone in my family. He's especially horrible to me, and there is no possible reason for it. I only hope he will grow out of it, but he's been this way for 5 years.
I just try to ignore him, I know thats not much help though.

That's exactly how it feels, to be honest.

Original post by BulgeBracket
Boredom. That stuff is exciting, I did it when I was his age, and I grew out of it by the time I was 17 (Im 20 now and still drink, but Ive become more compassionate)

Dont tell him off, its logical to do that, but hes not at a logical age. Be friendly to him and never tell him what to do.
I would almost advise you to buy him alcohol so that you could limit what/when he drinks. By becoming his friend, you should be able to steer him clear of serious crime or drugs. That will give him time for his brain to develop and for him to
become a young adult.

I definitely agree with the boredom thing, which probably leads into the whole "it's-fashionable-to-rebel".

Great advice on trying to empathise with his situation - both logically and socially - thank you. :smile:
Reply 16
Send him to Nigeria.
Reply 17
Original post by Indian_Prince
on a serious note, knock some sense into him ( dont hit him lol) and show him some dominance so he backs down, he is probably in an enviroment where there is no dominant figure (yes you may have a father, but im taking about a dominant figure) so he is trying to compensate by becoming stereotypically dominant and doing what men stereotypically do.

This type of thing seems like it would only have an adverse effect - it seems like one would just be playing into his hands, to be blunt. The whole point seems to gain a reaction.

Original post by Boo!xx
i guess you'll have to talk to him. If you wait for him to grow out of it, it may become habitual and he'll remain a chav forever....

How would one go about it, though? I agree with you, but it seems like, well, hopeless! He's always had support and me as an example (in terms of an older brother) to emulate.

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Let him continue to ruin his life and then enjoy the schadenfreude for the next sixty years / until he dies.

Yes, but it's not only his that he's ruining - my mother of all people is probably the most affected, which really strikes concern with me.
Reply 18
Original post by cid
maybe just a phase, my little bro was picked up by the coppers for coke possesion, i griped him when he came home, resulted in him attacking me with a kitchen knife, now he is a sapper of the most glorious corp of corps and an all round good egg.

Don't give up on him, apply pressure in its verios forms, set a good scratch thsat AWSOME example and hopefully he will turn out to be a worthwhile and productive member of society.

iu appoligise for my drunken rewspone

What made him change, the whole experience?

Thanks for the advice, too. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
This type of thing seems like it would only have an adverse effect - it seems like one would just be playing into his hands, to be blunt. The whole point seems to gain a reaction.

well to be honest, he needs someone more dominant than he considers himself to give him orders on what to do, stop him from going out and make him spend time with that more dominant person who can hopefully reinforce positive behaviours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending