The Student Room Group

Key lessons from Assessment Centres (Network Rail, PwC, Arup)

Hello. I'm posting this interesting list of AC experiences for whoever's gonna be in my position circa Sept 2021 vigorously figuring out what specific ACs are like. So here you go. I hope it's useful to some of you.

Network Rail AC

All done via online AC platform

1-on-1 interview: Quickfire motivational and competency-based questions. Research research research Network Rail’s values and prepare accordingly.

2 individual scenario-based exercises: Each exercise allowed us time to read through a scenario and prepare for a 1-on-1 discussion about it. One of the scenarios threw me off entirely - something about speaking to management about time mgmt?

Group case study with prep time and presentation: Fairly standard group case study scenario. More critical thinking than anything.

Alright experience, most chill among the ones I’ve done. Network Rail gives very standard advice after ACs, though.

Key lesson: Research the company, its values, its recent projects, its clients. Also remember your exact role’s details and research day-to-day tasks.

PwC AC (CFD)

1 written exercise: Writing a brief about a given topic or industry. Googling was necessary.

“1” numerical exercise: More than a single numerical problem, fairly standard SJT-like stuff.

1-on-1 interview: All motivational questions with 1 competency question.

Group scenario meeting thing with written component: Yet more Googling, typical PwC group case study style - different candidates with different roles.

Time management is key here. When they say “you should plan your day well” they mean it, because I know some people who didn’t finish a component. Also, given the role, you may not necessarily need to actually know your stuff about industries - confidence is key.

Key lesson: Apparently ACs test time management capabilities under stress now.

Arup AC

All done via Teams

1 individual technical exercise: FAR more technical than I thought it’d be (could also be because I’ve not got the right background), so prepare well.

1 individual case study exercise: More general case study scenario going through what you would do/recommend, with a member of the team you’ll be working with.

2-on-1 interview: Speaking with 2 team members about a mix of motivational and competency questions. Able to ask questions after.

Gave me a solid headache this one after it was done - the technical exercise required aggressive googling. Really nice team, though.

Key lesson: If a role advertises that it prefers Master’s students and seems somewhat technical… They probably expect more from you (if you're an undergrad)

Overall, you're gonna be pooped after ACs so always get some good rest before them and make sure you prepare. Group scenarios are always mainly about your ability to work in a team, so don't stress too much about them. Keep expectations low and hopes high.
Reply 1
Original post by iveisej
Hello. I'm posting this interesting list of AC experiences for whoever's gonna be in my position circa Sept 2021 vigorously figuring out what specific ACs are like. So here you go. I hope it's useful to some of you.

Network Rail AC

1-on-1 interview: Quickfire motivational and competency-based questions. Research research research Network Rail’s values and prepare accordingly.

2 individual scenario-based exercises: Each exercise allowed us time to read through a scenario and prepare for a 1-on-1 discussion about it. One of the scenarios threw me off entirely - something about speaking to management about time mgmt?

Group case study with prep time and presentation: Fairly standard group case study scenario. More critical thinking than anything.

Alright experience, most chill among the ones I’ve done. Network Rail gives very standard advice after ACs, though.

Key lesson: Research the company, its values, its recent projects, its clients. Also remember your exact role’s details and research day-to-day tasks.

PwC AC (CFD)

1 written exercise: Writing a brief about a given topic or industry. Googling was necessary.

“1” numerical exercise: More than a single numerical problem, fairly standard SJT-like stuff.

Group scenario meeting thing with written component: Yet more Googling, typical PwC group case study style - different candidates with different roles.

Time management is key here. When they say “you should plan your day well” they mean it, because I know some people who didn’t finish a component. Also, given the role, you may not necessarily need to actually know your stuff about industries - confidence is key.

Arup AC

All done via Teams

1 individual technical exercise: FAR more technical than I thought it’d be (could also be because I’ve not got the right background), so prepare well.

1 individual case study exercise: More general case study scenario going through what you would do/recommend, with a member of the team you’ll be working with.

2-on-1 interview: Speaking with 2 team members about a mix of motivational and competency questions. Able to ask questions after.

Gave me a solid headache this one after it was done - the technical exercise required aggressive googling. Really nice team, though.

Key lesson: If a role advertises that it prefers Master’s students and seems somewhat technical… They probably expect more from you (if you're an undergrad)

Overall, you're gonna be pooped after ACs so always get some good rest before them and make sure you prepare. Group scenarios are always mainly about your ability to work in a team, so don't stress too much about them. Keep expectations low and hopes high.

Out of interest what roles did you apply for and did you get any offers?
Reply 2
Original post by iveisej
Hello. I'm posting this interesting list of AC experiences for whoever's gonna be in my position circa Sept 2021 vigorously figuring out what specific ACs are like. So here you go. I hope it's useful to some of you. Network Rail AC

Alright experience, most chill among the ones I’ve done. Network Rail gives very standard advice after ACs, though. Key lesson: Research the company, its values, its recent projects, its clients. Also remember your exact role’s details and research day-to-day tasks. PwC AC (CFD)

Time management is key here. When they say “you should plan your day well” they mean it, because I know some people who didn’t finish a component. Also, given the role, you may not necessarily need to actually know your stuff about industries - confidence is key. Key lesson: Apparently ACs test time management capabilities under stress now. Arup AC

All done via Teams

Gave me a solid headache this one after it was done - the technical exercise required aggressive googling. Really nice team, though. Key lesson: If a role advertises that it prefers Master’s students and seems somewhat technical… They probably expect more from you (if you're an undergrad)Overall, you're gonna be pooped after ACs so always get some good rest before them and make sure you prepare. Group scenarios are always mainly about your ability to work in a team, so don't stress too much about them. Keep expectations low and hopes high.
Hi there, do you mind sharing what the technical exercise for Arup was?
Original post by iveisej
Network Rail AC

PwC AC (CFD)

Arup AC

All done via Teams

Hey, Do you mind sharing what kinda questions did they ask you in your interview, what did you avoid and definitely do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending