The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Accomodation info for private letting

Hey guys :smile: Hope you had a nice holiday. I have decided to be a nice guy and make a thread with information on getting accommodation for your 2nd year :smile: (This only really applies to First years hoping to live in accommodation next year and to people who don’t want to live in halls but want to live in a student house).

Hopefully, by now you have all got together the people you want to live with; usually the estate agents have houses for groups of 3, 4, 5 and 6; it’s possible to get a house for just 1 or 2 people but they end up being quite expensive.

House lists are available from the FIRST day of the term starting in January (spring term); It’s advisable to obtain the list as soon/quickly as possible (Probably on that same Monday) in order to beat the rush. (Trust me the rush is wild and hectic).

The *estate agents* that serve students in Hatfield are all located in the town centre and you can obtain the lists direct from them..

Estate Agents:-
Century 21
Pikes
Mather Marshall Lettings
Wrights

Those are the major letting agents.. You can also use the University lettings; the Student Union accommodations Office is situated in the Ele house and they publish a list as well with some excellent properties to view :smile:.
Houses for groups of 4 are usually the quickest to go so be quick if you have just 4 in your group.
*Century 21, Pikes and MM lettings usually have pretty good houses, on popular roads like Hazel Grove, Bishops Rise, High Dells, Maryland…. Wrights formerly had a bad reputation for not returning students deposits after the tenancy agreements; However, I hear they are desperately trying to rescue this bad reputation by being more reasonable and returning deposit as far as the house is in immaculate condition after the tenancy*
During your house hunting, if you see a property you like, call the estate agents immediately and inform them that you like the property and tell them to hold it for you; They will then ask you all to come in and pay a deposit (usually around £250 - £300)each in order to secure the property.
If anyone decides to pull out from their group for any reason whatsoever, the estate agents might ask you to look for a replacement tenant before they refund your deposit.

Also, if you find yourself short of a group member (because someone dropped out), keep your eyes on the accommodation bit on studynet; 100s of adverts looking for people are usually posted weekly (and daily of course).

Contracts usually start from 1st of September and end 30th June.

Hope this helps.. I will edit as soon as I discover more information.

Ade

EDIT - For first year students who intend to apply for halls of residence; I advice you to apply as early as January - Late March because it gets really busy in the later months and the later you leave it, the less likely you are to get your hall of choice.. So Apply as soon as you make your mind up about Hertfordshire :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Cheers dude.

Im stuck at the mo cos I've got 3 of us sharing a flat, gotta find someone else methinks!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
FranKtheTanK
Cheers dude.

Im stuck at the mo cos I've got 3 of us sharing a flat, gotta find someone else methinks!
hey :smile: how about anybody on your course?

Happy New Year by the way :smile:
Reply 3
cheers for that..twas very helpful, theres 5 of us..and ill be there on monday :smile:

--------------

oh..and mather marshall?!! is that a joke?!!
Reply 4
lauren23
cheers for that..twas very helpful, theres 5 of us..and ill be there on monday :smile:

--------------

oh..and mather marshall?!! is that a joke?!!
Cool :smile: I wish you luck with your search...and no Mather Marshall is not a joke lol.. infact thats the estate agent I usedin my first year lol
Reply 5
ooooh thanks hun :biggrin:

I'll be using this when I get back as a guide for the dreaded house hunt :rolleyes:
Reply 6
waaaaaaaaaaaat the... :eek: and heres me planning to worry abt this in april/may..... hmmm a lil change of plans for me i think!!!
cheers for the advice!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:smile: btw happy new yr guys!!!! :smile:
Reply 7
hairycandle
waaaaaaaaaaaat the... :eek: and heres me planning to worry abt this in april/may..... hmmm a lil change of plans for me i think!!!
cheers for the advice!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:smile: btw happy new yr guys!!!! :smile:
April/May :eek: no you can't leave it that late; most of the nice houses disappear in the first month
Reply 8
Happy new year guys!!!

Thanx Dimexi for the info... I'm looking for people to move in wit too but no success yet... Most of my mates in my course have people to move in wit (mostly the people they stay wit in uni residence).. :confused:
Reply 9
MEng ASE
Happy new year guys!!!

Thanx Dimexi for the info... I'm looking for people to move in wit too but no success yet... Most of my mates in my course have people to move in wit (mostly the people they stay wit in uni residence).. :confused:
Happy new year to you too :smile:; Keep trying, you might be able to find a group :s:; thats the disadvantage of living out in the first year I guess, it's really hard to find people to live with..

You will definately find accomodation for 2nd year, but you might not have much control over who you live with...
I'll find someone extra.

Otherwise I'll live under Lauren's bed.
Reply 11
How much does it usually cost renting a student house round hatfield? atm im in a group of 3 but i might look to get a another person or 2!

Happy New Year as well :biggrin:
Reply 12
p500uk
How much does it usually cost renting a student house round hatfield? atm im in a group of 3 but i might look to get a another person or 2!

Happy New Year as well :biggrin:
from about 50 - 55 pounds a week to about 80 - 90 pounds a week :smile: It should be around that range..

You will be better off looking for more people (maybe 1 or 2) you will have a better chance and wider choice of finding properties
Reply 13
FranKtheTanK
I'll find someone extra.

Otherwise I'll live under Lauren's bed.

hahahahaaaa...nice one. like to see u try that..

if u wanted to come visit im sure that would be ok, u only had to ask... :p:
lauren23
hahahahaaaa...nice one. like to see u try that..

if u wanted to come visit im sure that would be ok, u only had to ask... :p:

Ill bring some sweets, unlike my previous effort :redface:
Reply 15
Anyone looking for a member to move in with next year?
Reply 16
Hope u guys have got the lists and have started looking...
Reply 17
Started the search today and we already have a short list :biggrin: Going to the estate agents tomorrow to organise some visits :biggrin: yay! I'm actually enjoying this :p:
Reply 18
Aeana
Started the search today and we already have a short list :biggrin: Going to the estate agents tomorrow to organise some visits :biggrin: yay! I'm actually enjoying this :p:
yay!! thats great :smile: make sure you act swiftly if you find something you like :wink:.. good luck :smile:
I still aint got the pissing list, too busy what with revising for about 8 exams that I have.

Im gonna go today and bloody find a decent one.

Latest

Trending

Trending